Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 PM

83 posts, read 215,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnativegirl View Post
My favorite all time musician is Todd Rundgren. I used to have the flyer from the first time I saw him-Laurie Auditorium-Trinity University around 75. I have seen him maybe 10 times since. Older brother (who at 13 went to jimi hendrix concert here) has seen Todd many many times. We would also travel to Austin late 70s early 80s and saw him Armadillo World Hdqr. I remember one time reaching up and grabbing his colorful tennis shoe and not let go! Todd is Godd.
OMG, SAnativegirl!!!! I love Todd, too, and have loved him since I was 10 years old! Todd fans are a special bunch. The Laurie Auditorium show was my SECOND concert. It was on Nov. 11, 1975. When Todd came to the edge of the stage to shake hands with everyone while singing, my brother shoved a pencil and the ticket stub at him and Todd signed it. I still have that stub. I think I have seen him 8 times since then (not enough!). In fact, I just saw him in Austin on Saturday. His new stuff is very heavy. At 60, Todd can still rock. He is Godd! But I think I'm getting too old for these SRO shows.

For the record, my FIRST concert was a couple months before that. Jethro Tull at the Convention Center. Opening act was Carmen. They were kind of strange - a rock band who incorporated flamenco dancing and castanets into their music. I remember I was so excited to see Tull that my legs were shaking. And this was with no drugs as I was only 13 years old!

I also saw U2 at Cardi's (formerly Randy's Rodeo and now RR again). No one knew who they were. I had free tickets as I knew a lot of the staff and I had to beg someone to go with me as I had no car. We sat a table right at the stage. Great show. I kept telling my friend, "these guys are gonna be big." He didn't believe me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 71,301 times
Wink hardradio.com rocks

As I saw this thread, it made me think about the "good ole days"
San Antonio Convention Center Arena. A terrible band named Girl's School opened up for a twin bill of Iron Maiden on the Number of the Beast tour and The Scorpions on the Blackout tour. Girl's School was terrible so that gave us time to concentrate on "refreshments". Iron Maiden blew the place up and The Scorpions provided the Mushroom cloud. Still to this day it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. It still ranks below Marilyn Manson and Monster Magnet at the Alamo Dome. That was the Mechanical Animals tour. Spectacular in ever possible facet until during the 1st encore, Manson was swinging the microphone stand around and hit John 5 (guitarist) in the head and ended the show abruptly. Also high on the list was again Iron Maiden in Houston at a small club of 1960 on the x-factor tour with Fear factory on Demanufacture tour. It was good enough for me to buy Fear Factory's albumns. They are really good. Testament, Megadeath and Judas Priest on the Painkiller tour in Dallas at Reunion Arena was also spectacular. I could go on and on.....

Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,383,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Where was the Janis Joplin concert... I think I went but got scared because the crowd was so rowdy... mostly bikers that were stoned out of their minds. It was in a smaller auditorium but I can't remember where... it was different.
It was at the municipal auditorium....before it burned and was restored.

I forgot.....I also saw Elton John there too. He had his hair dyed pink right over his ears. Looked like he had fluffy pink ear muffs on. We had really close seats right behind the stage. It was awesome because he had the piano at an angle and we were facing him. He puts on an awesome show.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:56 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,146,555 times
Quote:
I remember seeing Shawn Phillips at the Olmos Basin (outdoor concert). Nice hair and nice looking!
I saw that one, early 70's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samustang91 View Post
Anyone got any Led Zeppelin concert in SA. I think they were here in '73 or '75
I saw the first one they played, at the arena, Jethro tull opened. It was August 69. The night that Sharon Tate was murdered I remember waking up to that news the next day. Sheesh, talk about a buzz kill!

Quote:
Where was the Janis Joplin concert... I think I went but got scared because the crowd was so rowdy... mostly bikers that were stoned out of their minds. It was in a smaller auditorium but I can't remember where... it was different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
It was at the municipal auditorium....before it burned and was restored.
If I remember right, I thought it was at the Arena. It was in '69, Gen. Adm. I don't remember any auditorium seats. I was standing in front of the stage, and saw Janis kick some drunk biker dude in the head. He was trying to hand her a bottle of booze.
Guess it wasn't Southern Comfort

Old 07-26-2008, 09:18 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,319,367 times
Sweetie Pie and Wcat... we need to organize and "old hippies" meet up!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Sweetie Pie and Wcat... we need to organize and "old hippies" meet up!
I'm up for it! Invite the Paka, too!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I'm up for it! Invite the Paka, too!
I'm afraid she might kma!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I'm afraid she might kma!
KMA=KICK MY ASS???

Nahhh, noy Paka!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:15 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,933,135 times
Did you have to be a hippie or a beatnik to like Jethro Tull? I liked em! But, I was just an ordinary guy.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Did you have to be a hippie or a beatnik to like Jethro Tull? I liked em! But, I was just an ordinary guy.
No, but the music sounded better it you were a hippie and beatniks were from another era I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio