Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,227,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Bowie, what section was that article in?
Front page of the Business section, page 1C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:52 AM
cwh

345 posts, read 947,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The Express-News had an article about this today (apparently not available yet on mysa.com ), which mentions that the trial of this in Beaumont will eventually make its way here. The manager who oversees the San Antonio office said in the article that 5 percent of T-W's customers here account for more than half of the bandwidth usage. In one case, a T-W customer used enough bandwidth to d/l 1,500 movies in a single month. That's more movies than a person could watch in a month!

With usage ratios like that, i am not surprised that a company would want to kick those customers away from the buffet table.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM

422 posts, read 1,454,068 times
Why advertise one thing and say another. If you offer me a 10 meg connection, then I should be able utilize 10 megs 24/7. This is another reason why I'm waiting for U-Verse to be rolled out in my area.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 AM

545 posts, read 2,289,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
Why advertise one thing and say another. If you offer me a 10 meg connection, then I should be able utilize 10 megs 24/7. This is another reason why I'm waiting for U-Verse to be rolled out in my area.
That's why it says "up to 10Mb/sec" instead of "10Mb/sec all the time" they know they can't deliver it all the time. I did a speedtest on mine at about 8:00 last night, and it was consistently over 9, so it's not horrible in my neighborhood.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM
cwh

Quote:

Well if you read the fine print, they dont guarantee a 10 meg connection at all times. If you want a dedicated 10 meg circuit with dedicated bandwidth, it is going to cost you alot more than $50/month.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 AM
cwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
That's why it says "up to 10Mb/sec" instead of "10Mb/sec all the time" they know they can't deliver it all the time. I did a speedtest on mine at about 8:00 last night, and it was consistently over 9, so it's not horrible in my neighborhood.
Well they oversell the bandwidth because they know not everyone will use it all at once. So your 10 meg connection may only have a 1 or 2 megs dedicated to you.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
Well if you read the fine print, they dont guarantee a 10 meg connection at all times. If you want a dedicated 10 meg circuit with dedicated bandwidth, it is going to cost you alot more than $50/month.
OK, well let me revise my post for you:

If TW offers me an "up to 10 meg" connection, then I should be able utilize an "up to 10 meg connection" 24/7.

I mean come on, what are they going to charge. By the gig? I'm not looking for a dedicated circuit, with static IPs, and with bigger upload bandwidths. I just want to be able to use the road I'm already paying for to download at will.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,972,485 times
Quote:
OK, well let me revise my post for you:

If TW offers me an "up to 10 meg" connection, then I should be able utilize an "up to 10 meg connection" 24/7.

I mean come on, what are they going to charge. By the gig? I'm not looking for a dedicated circuit, with static IPs, and with bigger upload bandwidths. I just want to be able to use the road I'm already paying for to download at will.
I understand your point, and I think most other people would too. However, the concept of "shared pipes" just doesn't always fall into agreement. If the line you're connected to only supports a certain bandwidth number, and that number is exceeded when everyone "downloads at will" at max rates, then someone has to suffer.

TWC is basically saying that, since there is a small percentage of people who DOWNLOAD a certain amount of data (note this is not speed-related...it's a data count) that the utilization of bandwidth may be regulated in order to keep up. TWC is not saying that you can't use your available bandwidth. They are saying that they'll throttle your connection back once you hit a certain data-download threshold. This number could be something like 10GB per month...

It's going to be interesting how this unfolds, no doubt!

--Dim

Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,063,110 times
Honestly, all I see this as being is another way for TWC to squeeze more money out of customers! My Belgian ISP had a cap on monthly bandwidth usage (I don't recall what it was, but I had an ADSL connection which may have had something to do with it), I rarely hit it but when I did it sucked.

If TWC wants to address those few individuals who are sucking bandwidth like Britney on a crackpipe, then fair enough; but if this is an attempt to gouge even more money out of me than I too will be looking elsewhere for a new ISP.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
If the line you're connected to only supports a certain bandwidth number, and that number is exceeded when everyone "downloads at will" at max rates, then someone has to suffer.

Well then that's TWC's issue. They should reevaluate the area, and open the pipes. They advertise "up to" speeds. And if everyone is getting a fraction of that in a certain "heavily" utilized area. Then they would just have a bunch of unsatisfied customers. Streaming videos and music is also effected by this. Those files are temporarily downloaded to your PC when you watch/listen to them. Online movie services are effected. Not just those using bit torrent, P2P, or irc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio