Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:38 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,215,447 times

Advertisements

Hope this hasn't been posted in the other "cable/internet/phone providers" thread. I didn't feel like reading 11 pages.
Anywhoooo...... thought you might be interested. Looks like they will start in Beaumont and see how it goes.
Time Warner to test Internet billing based on usage - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:53 PM

413 posts, read 1,405,820 times
I knew this would become an issue. I don't do too much downloading, but I don't like the fact they will try to charge by usage. grrr

Old 01-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,143,749 times
Well, I don't much like having my VoIP/YouTube bandwidth crunched while a neighbor is downloading or serving up the collected works of George Lucas. Consequently, I would be in favor of this if I was still using T-W. I used to have problems like that a lot in the evenings and on weekends, thanks to neighbors.

Of course a much better solution would be if they would just keep up with the demand and push more bandwidth out there in the first place.

There have also been rumors that big ISPs are going to start blocking file-sharing traffic this year. I'm not sure which solution will be less controversial, but I sure can see which one will be more profitable.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:26 PM

26 posts, read 34,797 times
I'll leave Time Warner on principal if the try that here...

Old 01-17-2008, 03:33 PM

418 posts, read 1,241,072 times
Actually, the problem is that there is too much bandwidth available. As a result they are having difficulty raising prices. So instead of using R&D for more bandwidth, these companies are actually using R&D to find ways to throttle it back.

We could already have giga-bit running to our houses already if they wanted.

Remember the days when you could just drill a hole on the corner of a 512k disk, and get 1.4mb?

Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,965,962 times
I used to work in the internetworking industry (UUNET/WorldCom/MCI) as an internetwork engineer. Cable companies lease high-bandwidth circuits from such providers (think OC-48 and above), so in principle there is a lot of available bandwidth--at least at the backbone level. The problem is theoretical in nature. Allow me to elaborate.

Just like the airlines oversell tickets, so do Internet providers. This is because it is unlikely that all users will be a) online at the same time and b) pulling down as much data as possible while online. The result of this "over-subscription" is not normally felt by the user. However, this theory has been extended to the micro-level with the use and popularity of cable-based Internet service.

Cable modem users attach to the same "trunk line" between the houses. For example, a street with 20 homes will be serviced with two primary trunk lines--one for each side of the street. The trunk lines go to the same junction box, and on to the cable company's demarcation point. When small numbers of people are online, there is minimal latency (delay or lag time) or packet loss (dropped data). However, during peak times, the theory of over-subscription begins to break down. This is a direct result of the bandwidth of the trunk lines (whether between the homes or from the junction box to the demarcation point) begin to max out.

As we have seen in recent years, video over the Internet is on the rise. At this week's Macworld, Steve Jobs unveiled Apple TV Take2, an Internet-based service that allows a user to download streaming movies (rent or purchase) in standard or high definition. To put it mildly, such a service is going to need a lot of bandwidth in order to be successful.

Fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) providers such as Verizon's Fios and AT&T's u-verse are addressing the demand, albeit a bit slowly. Since the customer has no interference from neighbors due to a direct fiber-optic connection to the exchange box, then to the central office, then ultimately to the Internet, the delays and data loss is minimal.

Time Warner is testing the waters of net neutrality here. This is dangerous behavior--a logical next step is for the higher-paying customers to get preference in bandwidth over those who pay less. So, if I pay more than you, my traffic will reach its destination first. It's unfair practice, and there are a lot who would agree with me. Unfortunately, in a capatilist society money wins, even if the customer loses.

I understand the need to keep congestion down. I'd even go for a solution like this if it meant that cable companies would take the money and invest it in more bandwidth in the neighborhoods. Reduce the bottleneck and a lot of the problems go away.

--Dim

Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 PM

545 posts, read 2,285,587 times
Here's my thing with it...if I can still get my 10Mb download speed and actually pay LESS than I'm paying now, because I'm not downloading games and movies, just music and the occasional podcast, then I'm all for it. If they could actually lower the cost of high speed internet for the majority of their users, it would be great, and make things more competitive.

In actuality, what will likely happen is that TWC (and others) will continue to charge me the same flat fee I'm paying now, then charge me more if I go over a set bandwidth for the month, in the end, screwing me over even more than they already are.

Of course none of their actual plans or fee schedules are laid out in the article.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,965,962 times
@slaleman:

I'm in agreement with you re: rate staying the same. What TWC is trying to do is nothing new. In the world of leased lines, corporate or well-heeled customers can choose several different types of circuits for Internet connectivity. TWC is basically going the route of the old-fashioned frame relay circuit.

In a frame relay circuit (and others too), a customer can pay a flat fee for a specified bandwidth amount. However, if the customer goes over that amount (also known as exceeding bandwidth or breaking the "committed information rate"), said customer is charged according to a specific schedule.

In the case of your cable modem connection, if you are allotted 10Mb/sec (that's megabits per second), and you bust that a couple of times per month, the costs could go up quite a bit. It all depends on the fee schedule which, like you said, the article neglects to mention. Until we have that data, the point is really moot.

Like we all know, though, cable companies have a history of setting precedents for routine rate hikes. That's what I'm really afraid of--they decide to drop your connection speed to a point that results in routine bandwidth limit breakage or a higher flat rate for additional bandwidth. It's known as "tiered pricing" in the corporate world...

--Dim

Old 01-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,143,749 times
The Express-News had an article about this today (apparently not available yet on mysa.com ), which mentions that the trial of this in Beaumont will eventually make its way here. The manager who oversees the San Antonio office said in the article that 5 percent of T-W's customers here account for more than half of the bandwidth usage. In one case, a T-W customer used enough bandwidth to d/l 1,500 movies in a single month. That's more movies than a person could watch in a month!

Last edited by Bo; 01-18-2008 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,593,532 times
Bowie, what section was that article in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio