Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 09:56 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,801,127 times

Advertisements

My point still applies to rate of development to the south side regardless of what areas the article addresses. Heck, my point applies to all of San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 10:02 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,028,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
No, they are not talking about expanding 1604 on the west and south sides. Has nothing to do with Somerset, Poteet, etc.
They are talking about adding lanes from Bandera road to interstate 35 EAST bound on 1604, and a multi story interchange over 1604 and 10 on the NORTH side.
" Build the highways and they will come "?? Since when does that happen in SA? It's the other way around.

https://www.bexar.org/2055/Loop-1604...tal-Assessment
Huh. I never would have guessed.
Six new additional lanes on the northside? Isn't it already 3 or 4?

Old 12-09-2020, 10:05 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,063,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
No...only 2 lanes per direction.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:10 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,512,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
That's why they left such a wide median in the middle when they expanded it years ago. They knew they would eventually need to add more lanes later. A rare example of forward thinking around here.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
That's why they left such a wide median in the middle when they expanded it years ago. They knew they would eventually need to add more lanes later. A rare example of forward thinking around here.
Yeah...I always looked at all that space and asked why they just didn't do 4 lanes each direction...there is plenty of room.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:19 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,512,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Yeah...I always looked at all that space and asked why they just didn't do 4 lanes each direction...there is plenty of room.
Oh you know their usual excuse..... Didn't have the financing to do it right the first time. We'll just wait a few years and tear it up again. Years of more construction coming up, folks. Tighten your seat belts.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Oh you know their usual excuse..... Didn't have the financing to do it right the first time. We'll just wait a few years and tear it up again. Years of more construction coming up, folks. Tighten your seat belts.
Exactly

Old 12-09-2020, 10:52 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,028,203 times
I think it's better for the growth of the city that they didn't built the lanes back then. Or maybe they didn't have the money. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, against my better judgement.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:27 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,374,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Investigative journalism like SA Current will always tend to get some people riled up. In this case (and I did read the article), I feel they are pretty much spot on with the information they reported from the two watchdog groups.

It is very easy to attack such articles as "alarmist" but the issues outlined are very valid concerns IMHO. Anyone who lives in San Antonio and has done so for the past 30 years will see how much benefit (little) is achieved from all the highway construction that has taken place so far.

I get that the growth of San Antonio can't not be avoided but the road construction to tackle the issue seems to be very reactive rather than proactive.
It isn't investigative journalism, it is liberal opinion disguised as journalism. I have lived here for quite some time, and living on the NW side, outside of 1604, I can tell you that the construction of the third general purpose lane, and additional HOV lane in each direction on I-10 outside of 1604 has had a tremendous effect on congestion in the area. If you claim otherwise, you're either unfamiliar with driving in that area, or are being willfully dishonest.

For at least the last 10 years, the NW side has seen the most growth. While the entire area is seeing some growth, it has been concentrated primarily in the NW side. As a result of this growth, coupled with never ending consecutive construction projects, the commute in I-10 into, and out of SA has been horrible for over a decade. The results have been modified traffic patterns for some drivers seeking to avoid congestion delays, while actually being the cause of the same. As an example, until the HOV lane project was completed, during the evening rush, 60-70% of drivers would weave off and on I-10 to the frontage roads and back to get out of slowed traffic, and avoid red lights at intersections. The result of this was all of this traffic cramming back onto I-10 just before Dominion Drive thus causing the very slow down they were cleverly trying to avoid. Since the HOV lanes opened around a month ago, there is zero congestion in the area, in either the morning, or evening rush hours. Prior to the 2 additional lanes opening, on the morning commute, if you weren't on the road by 6:15 AM, you were in a parking lot from roughly Boerne Stage Rd. to 1604. Now, you can drive through there at any time and not even hit the brakes. Same with the evening commute from 1604 to Ralph Fair Rd. Anyone that lives in the area is quite familiar that from around 3:30 PM to 7 PM, that area was a parking lot during the evening rush.

While I don't normally travel 1604 during my commute, I do travel that route for entertainment purposes from I-10 to 281 and back on weekend from time to time. It is a mess. It's often faster to get to your destination by staying on the frontage road, and waiting at the multiple stoplights than it is to use the main lanes. There is little doubt there is a massive congestion problem. Don't take my word for it. Open Google Maps any day and turn on the traffic layer. 1604 in the length of the proposed construction projects is generally red, amber at best. Any proposed expansion is certainly better than the status quo, even for those environmentally minded folks. What is better, traffic proceeding smoothly from point a to point b, or traffic sitting at idle for extended periods of time.

Finally, before anyone hurls any of the expected counter proposals, I am in a VIA vanpool for work. Five of us meet at a central location every morning, and ride in the van to and from work, so we are taking 4 additional cars off the road, thus eliminating the associated carbon emissions, and reducing traffic load.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
It isn't investigative journalism, it is liberal opinion disguised as journalism. I have lived here for quite some time, and living on the NW side, outside of 1604, I can tell you that the construction of the third general purpose lane, and additional HOV lane in each direction on I-10 outside of 1604 has had a tremendous effect on congestion in the area. If you claim otherwise, you're either unfamiliar with driving in that area, or are being willfully dishonest.

For at least the last 10 years, the NW side has seen the most growth. While the entire area is seeing some growth, it has been concentrated primarily in the NW side. As a result of this growth, coupled with never ending consecutive construction projects, the commute in I-10 into, and out of SA has been horrible for over a decade. The results have been modified traffic patterns for some drivers seeking to avoid congestion delays, while actually being the cause of the same. As an example, until the HOV lane project was completed, during the evening rush, 60-70% of drivers would weave off and on I-10 to the frontage roads and back to get out of slowed traffic, and avoid red lights at intersections. The result of this was all of this traffic cramming back onto I-10 just before Dominion Drive thus causing the very slow down they were cleverly trying to avoid. Since the HOV lanes opened around a month ago, there is zero congestion in the area, in either the morning, or evening rush hours. Prior to the 2 additional lanes opening, on the morning commute, if you weren't on the road by 6:15 AM, you were in a parking lot from roughly Boerne Stage Rd. to 1604. Now, you can drive through there at any time and not even hit the brakes. Same with the evening commute from 1604 to Ralph Fair Rd. Anyone that lives in the area is quite familiar that from around 3:30 PM to 7 PM, that area was a parking lot during the evening rush.

While I don't normally travel 1604 during my commute, I do travel that route for entertainment purposes from I-10 to 281 and back on weekend from time to time. It is a mess. It's often faster to get to your destination by staying on the frontage road, and waiting at the multiple stoplights than it is to use the main lanes. There is little doubt there is a massive congestion problem. Don't take my word for it. Open Google Maps any day and turn on the traffic layer. 1604 in the length of the proposed construction projects is generally red, amber at best. Any proposed expansion is certainly better than the status quo, even for those environmentally minded folks. What is better, traffic proceeding smoothly from point a to point b, or traffic sitting at idle for extended periods of time.

Finally, before anyone hurls any of the expected counter proposals, I am in a VIA vanpool for work. Five of us meet at a central location every morning, and ride in the van to and from work, so we are taking 4 additional cars off the road, thus eliminating the associated carbon emissions, and reducing traffic load.
This^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio