Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 01:08 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,816,863 times

Advertisements

Is it logical to allow uncontrolled growth to happen? I get that some people love the fact that San Antonio is growing so fast but be careful what you wish for. When you are sitting in congested traffic (and not moving) on 410 later, you can post some more about how wonderful this growth is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 03:25 PM

1,514 posts, read 896,424 times
I don't like SA growing so fast but I am for expansion of 1604 lanes. West side 1604 is rough during rush hour. Expansion of lanes is long overdue. Expansion and SA growth explosion will happen regardless of if roads are expanded or not. People choose to live in a place for a variety of reasons (from jobs, Cost of living, family etc.). While a nusciance that adds to pollution, accidents etc. traffic congestion generally doesn't make the list of priorities on deciding to move or not move somewhere. Surely it will not hinder people from moving to a location when there are more pressing needs such as a job. Forward thinking was needed then with building business placement and room for expansion. Forward thinking is needed now

Old 12-10-2020, 03:58 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,046,443 times
San Antonio will not keep expanding if it takes too long to get to work. I'm with Azure on this one.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:23 PM

1,042 posts, read 888,380 times
People act like they can somehow control the growth rate. Not possible.

What SA needs to do is REALIZE they're growing and plan accordingly. Not just bury their head in the sand (as has been done in the past) and wish for it to stop.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:27 PM

4,455 posts, read 5,377,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

What SA needs to do is REALIZE they're growing and plan accordingly. Not just bury their head in the sand (as has been done in the past) and wish for it to stop.
Thank you!

NYC, Boston, Miami, etc are the densest cities and have the worst traffic. A balance is needed and the article in the OP is lopsided, lazy, and useless.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

Nothing wrong for wishing it would stop or slow down.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:46 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,377,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Nothing wrong for wishing it would stop or slow down.
No, nothing wrong with wishing for anything, however, denying reality, and failing to take proactive measures to develop long term plans to deal with growth that is inevitable is reckless, and irresponsible.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:48 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,072,497 times
I may be in the minority here, but I like the growth of SA, but wish road construction would be planned better, and faster. Also hoping SA will be the site for the first Space Force Base.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
No, nothing wrong with wishing for anything, however, denying reality, and failing to take proactive measures to develop long term plans to deal with growth that is inevitable is reckless, and irresponsible.

We, as a city, ARE failing (IMHO) to take proactive measures to tackle the growth that I am wishing would slow down or stop. Lots of band-aid fixes out there but nothing that seems to solve the problem long term. Perhaps I would feel differently if the growth issues were handled better.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:42 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,377,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
We, as a city, ARE failing (IMHO) to take proactive measures to tackle the growth that I am wishing would slow down or stop. Lots of band-aid fixes out there but nothing that seems to solve the problem long term. Perhaps I would feel differently if the growth issues were handled better.
I would offer we are light years ahead of Austin regarding dealing with, and planning for growth. The traffic in Austin has been insane since the early 90s, and nothing has been done aside from the toll lanes on the east side, and from I-35 to MOPAC, and a small expansion of 183. The saddest part of Austin's refusal to address the growth is that large parts of the city are losing their unique character. See South Congress as a major example.

Here, the city is working with TXDoT, Alamo Regional Mobility, and other agencies to address the growth. They have done numerous population growth studies, and traffic pattern studies to make the best use of the available funding for projects that will have the most impact.

The two groups backing the study are taking a similar position to some posters here with the flawed thinking that if you don't expand the roadways, people will stop moving to a given area. That doesn't survive the common sense test.

Sure, an alternative like light rail would be great. Major lines in from the NW side from Boerne, and Fair Oaks Ranch, from the north side from Bulverde, and Stone Oak, and from the NE side from New Braunfels, Cibolo, Shertz, etc. From the west side starting around Alamo Ranch. The issue with that is a lack of available ROW, and the challenges of eminent domain to acquire the required ROW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio