Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 10:08 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,519,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I couldn't help but notice that 1604 on the South Side is also widening in sections, mainly between 281 just east of I-37. Will that also be a freeway?
They really haven't widened anything in that stretch of 1604, just made some improvements and repairs. More businesses are popping up around 37 and 1604, and there is quite a bit of traffic at times. Eventually they will widen and improve it, once more people move to that area. There are subdivisions springing up along 1604 from hwy. 90 to 37 and beyond, so it's only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 10:07 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,647,489 times
1604 traffic sucks. Seems like another loop and some more connector roads between the loops might be a better use of highway dollars. Fortunately I can avoid 1604 most of the time.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:19 AM

1,514 posts, read 896,424 times
Traffic will only get worse as people from around the country flock here because of low cost of living, low housing and food costs, jobs etc.

The typical projection for highway preparation and planning is only 20 years out.

My hope is that there is an ordinance somewhere that says commercial (businesses) and residential (houses) are not allowed to be built / have property / a parking lot so close to a major highway or any major roadway so that future expansion past a point is not possible. Maybe say, no closer then a couple hundred feet (or more) on either side of a highway / major non highway roadway. If not one already I hope San Antonio leadership creates an ordinance. As it stands now, businesses and some residential was built to close to major highways and major non highway streets and there is just no way for desperately needed road expansion. Take Culebra, Bandera, Stone Oak etc for examples

Old 12-30-2020, 07:56 AM

29 posts, read 13,150 times
Typical SA fashion on slow to adapt or the “mañana” mentality. By the time anything is done, it will need to be redone.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:20 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,377,405 times
Lot of negativity and nay saying, however, the HOV lanes, and extra general purpose lane on I-10 from 1604 to Ralph Fair Rd. have made a huge difference. No backups at all, in either direction during rush hours.

The 1604 project, while painful, will relieve one of the most congested roadways in San Antonio. Don't like it? Don't move to the west, north west, or north sides. If you're already there, be patient, it will get better.

I've been dealing with construction on I-10 for over a decade, and will be dealing with it for at least three more years as the 2 additional lanes are eventually extended from their current terminus just west of Ralph Fair to SH-46 in Boerne, but it's been worth the wait.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:26 PM

29 posts, read 13,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I've been dealing with construction on I-10 for over a decade, and will be dealing with it for at least three more years as the 2 additional lanes are eventually extended from their current terminus just west of Ralph Fair to SH-46 in Boerne, but it's been worth the wait.
Exactly my point, SA moves really slow compared to other Metros like D/FW in Texas. Things move so quickly up there and makes anything in SA a joke. There is a lot more $$$ and influence (hint: movers and shakers) up in north Texas so it makes sense that funding is being dumped up there.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:50 PM

109 posts, read 71,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTXDriver View Post
Exactly my point, SA moves really slow compared to other Metros like D/FW in Texas. Things move so quickly up there and makes anything in SA a joke. There is a lot more $$$ and influence (hint: movers and shakers) up in north Texas so it makes sense that funding is being dumped up there.
I really don't understand why anyone with options would willingly stay living in San Antonio.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:17 PM

1,514 posts, read 896,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
I really don't understand why anyone with options would willingly stay living in San Antonio.
There are a number of positive things about San Antonio

Old 12-31-2020, 07:26 PM

4,455 posts, read 5,377,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTXDriver View Post
If that is the case then why is the traffic up there WAY worse even with their light rail? They are growing faster so they get more money because they have more need.

Don’t make a complex problem into simple favoritism of your preconceived notions.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:28 PM

4,455 posts, read 5,377,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
The city adds almost half a million people each decade so there are more people who like than don’t. In fact, Austin and San Antonio add more people on a percentage basis through domestic migration than DFW and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio