Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

rd2007: Really!? Wow. We didn't like it at all.

We buy the HEB or HCF brand cheese, milk, 1/2 & 1/2, chips, tortillas, refried beans, lunch meats, sausage, frozen fries, even their versio of "Hot Pockets" are okay. So I don't mean I hate all their stuff.

The tacos didn't taste like freezer... they tasted rotten. Like bad dairy-sour.

Lion-T: we like organic milk but "our" HEB doesn't carry it, last we checked. They do give coupons for it on the receipt though, for a $1 off a gallon, which is odd because it will encourage us to shop a different HEB. We are okay with the HCF milk though... we're not big milk drinkers anyway for the most part except for the 16 year old who could practically live on cereal alone if we'd let him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Yeah, I've had the cheap packaging problems too. I just remembered the other thing I bought that was gross and it was some frozen Spanish rice. I was all excited about that one because I can't seem to make Spanish rice correctly myself. I only get it "right" one out of five tries... and the other packaged Spanish rice is usually nasty (like the mix kind in the box)... so I had high hopes for this one but it was another thing no one in the house would eat.

And yeah, I know that they are "generic" but I've been buying HCF and HEB brands for decades. The quality issues I've noticed are just within the past six months now.

There are certain things I will ONLY buy brand name, peanut butter for one, but I am always willing to try the off brand, and usually even if I can tell a difference it's not a horrid, "spit it out" kind of difference like here lately. If it's bad enough for me to mess with actually taking it back and complaining you know it's bad because I am supremely lazy.
For Spanish rice, try the kind that comes in a shiny bag--Mahatma brand, I believe. You actually add a tablespoon of ketchup to it while it's boiling, and it's really tasty. They make a great yellow rice, too, but it's a wee bit salty. Trust me, for Spanish rice on the fly, it's very decent. And the best part??? No peas and carrots in it!!!

Yeah, HEB brands are getting worse--and if you don't want their brand on some items, you are practically out of luck. That's why Wal-Mart has been getting more of my grocery money every week. Hate on them in a different thread, but they offer brand names, and pretty cheaply.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Weird... I buy all HEB brand dairy (cheese) and bread... I think it's v. good and high quality. I know I buy more but I can't think of it right now... I only do Boars Head deli meat though...

I don't buy frozen foods much, so I don't really know about that.
I heard a long time ago and don't know how much truth there is to it....but I was told that the HEB cheese is actually Kraft with their packaging. And they are tricky about it, too----lately the Kraft has been cheaper than the HCF. You really have to pay attention these days!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I heard a long time ago and don't know how much truth there is to it....but I was told that the HEB cheese is actually Kraft with their packaging. And they are tricky about it, too----lately the Kraft has been cheaper than the HCF. You really have to pay attention these days!!!
I remember that happening for a long time, the Kraft being cheaper.. and I kept thinking it must be some mistake!

Sapphire:

Thanks for the suggestion on the rice. I buy the Mahatma yellow rice actually. We really like it. It's great mixed with broccoli and some chicken. We just haven't tried the Spanish version as I've had so many bad experiences in the past with boxed/packaged Spanish rice.

I have definitely noticed that our HEB will ONLY carry HEB brands for some things, but I just chalked it up to our HEB being so pathetically small. That's how I ended up w/those tacos. My aunt and uncle buy the Owens ones at Costco and I tried them and thought they were quite good. I looked for them at my HEB with no luck but figured hey, it's a breakfast taco, how bad can you mess that up?

Silly me!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:41 PM

Oh, we love the yellow one too, but it is salty. Try the Spanish one, I bet you'll like it. Really nice flavor to it!

Old 06-28-2008, 01:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
my favorite spanish rice was the one that came in a can and I think was made by Old El Paso. I haven't seen it in forever and the only spanish rice in a can left is the one Super Targets carry, but it's not the same.
now if I could only find some B & M Brown Bread in a can.. the Lackland commissary used to carry it, but they stopped and I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
my favorite spanish rice was the one that came in a can and I think was made by Old El Paso. I haven't seen it in forever and the only spanish rice in a can left is the one Super Targets carry, but it's not the same.
now if I could only find some B & M Brown Bread in a can.. the Lackland commissary used to carry it, but they stopped and I haven't seen it anywhere else.
OMG I haven't seen that bread in a can in years!!! My momma used to eat it. Let me know if you find it anywhere and I'll get a can and send it to her. It looks like something you would find at Dollar Tree....they have some really obscure food items.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:34 PM

you can order it online, but so far no stores here. I haven't looked at Central Market and haven't been in a Super Target in forever.
One of my coworkers is in Boston right now and I'm trying to talk him into bringing me back some, but he's being a dork about it..

Old 06-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Yeah, I saw $18 bucks for 6 cans.....not bad. And you get the raisin variety also. Hmmmmmmmm...

Old 06-28-2008, 01:44 PM

lemme see if I can find this one online store again.. they have all sorts of stuff that's nearly impossible to find anywhere else and you don't have to buy large quanities.

that was easy.. Puddings, Cake Mixes and Junket favorites

they also have a candy section that'll bring back a lot of memories..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio