Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,741,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It's a Compass Bank. I think that brings the total number of banks in that square mile to at least 10
Hey, they've got to do something with that stimulus money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,067,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It's a Compass Bank. I think that brings the total number of banks in that square mile to at least 10
I think the sign says "financing provided by Compass Bank", because there already is a Compass Bank just around the other side of the parking lot near IHOP.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 PM

153 posts, read 283,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I think the sign says "financing provided by Compass Bank", because there already is a Compass Bank just around the other side of the parking lot near IHOP.
Sapphire is correct.
Again people it is a Longhorn Steakhouse! I posted this only 12 replies ago.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:37 PM

715 posts, read 1,358,411 times
Just ate at Longhorn last night and it is great! Little on the pricey side but that's to be expected from a Darden Restaurant. Anyone else been yet? What did you think of it?

Old 02-07-2010, 01:46 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,825,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davi78239 View Post
Just ate at Longhorn last night and it is great! Little on the pricey side but that's to be expected from a Darden Restaurant. Anyone else been yet? What did you think of it?
Pricey? They are as cheap as Saltgrass Steakhouse and for steak, that's pretty darned cheapo...

This is nut to crack here in San Antonio: That folks think $12 for a steak is 'pricey.' I'm not chiding you for thinking that, but it's exactly what will keep higher end chains and home-growns from opening and thriving in the area. If people think that $12 is too much for a ribeye, then I'd hate to see your eyes light up reading the Bohanans menu.

BN

Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 PM

28 posts, read 53,084 times
Quote:
This is nut to crack here in San Antonio: That folks think $12 for a steak is 'pricey.' I'm not chiding you for thinking that, but it's exactly what will keep higher end chains and home-growns from opening and thriving in the area. If people think that $12 is too much for a ribeye, then I'd hate to see your eyes light up reading the Bohanans menu.
Haha I completely agree with that. Its sad that people think that $12 for a steak is pricey. San Antonio, for being one of the largest cities in the U.S. is not a foodie town. All the people want is cheap tex-mex food or just free food. Hence why the cowboy breakfast is so popular..... But We really need to step it up and start bringing in more gourmet restaurants than just chain restaurants.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,825,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse841 View Post
Haha I completely agree with that. Its sad that people think that $12 for a steak is pricey. San Antonio, for being one of the largest cities in the U.S. is not a foodie town. All the people want is cheap tex-mex food or just free food. Hence why the cowboy breakfast is so popular..... But We really need to step it up and start bringing in more gourmet restaurants than just chain restaurants.
Milhouse, you may only have 12 posts to your name, but you speak volumes of sage wisdom.

Personally, all I can continue to do is eat at local spots and support the 'pricey' establishments as much as possible. Sure, I also eat total crap that costs $5, but not as a norm, as it's usually the most fattening, terrible thing for me to choose.

Perhaps that's why SA has the overall weight problem it does: A food eco-system that caters to the poor with quick-to-go pricing, massive portions and no focus on exactly how many calories you're ingesting.

BN

Old 02-07-2010, 06:22 PM

246 posts, read 434,203 times
Default 12 dollars for a steak

12 dollars for a steak is about right. I get a really good one at Central Market and grill it at home. A bottle of really good wine for 20 bucks. We are all not classless folk but this is not Dallas. Plus with the ecomony like it is we all are being conservative with the bucks.

Oh, the 12 dollar steak will usually feed me and my wife.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:33 PM

28 posts, read 53,084 times
Yeah I dont post a whole bunch of things on here but as a Chef-in-training its sad to see my home city just be filled with chain and fast food places. Yeah I will admit I do go to Taco Cabana or Whataburger to get my fast food fix but I mainly go to the upscale places like Mariposa at Neiman Marcus or Ciao 2 in Stone Oak. I've worked in several upscale restaurants and its really sad to see peoples, well chef's dream to open there own restaurant and 3 months later go out of business do to lack of sales. Yeah the food may be alittle pricey at times but its totally worth it and way better than the cheap chain food people usually go for. I dream of opening my own place in San Antonio but if this nonsense of prices and lack of foodies continue in the city, I'm packing my bags and opening up shop somewhere else where more people can appreciate how much work and effort goes into making gourmet food.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 PM

715 posts, read 1,358,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse841 View Post

First off, I meant that a lot of stuff that they have there, you could get cheaper at say Texas Roadhouse or Logans like the chopped steak I got. Secondly, I have no problems with high end places and I encourage them to come. I was just saying that for some in this town, it would be pricey so that's why I said that. Also, I think the restaurant is doing well by the 80 to 90 minute wait last night so I think we're okay here in SA. Shoot, we can probably afford a 3 forks restaurant here like they have in Austin and Dallas and it will do just fine here too.

Last edited by davi78239; 02-07-2010 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio