Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:13 PM

153 posts, read 283,297 times

Advertisements

I have had dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse, Saltgrass, Texas Land & Cattle, Texas roadhouse and on average Longhorn is $5 cheaper for every cut of steak(you must pay attention to the ounces on each cut). Everyone who continues to complain about chain restaurants need to understand that if we were a city of only mom and pop restaurants, well the prices would go sky rocketing out of control, so think twice about what you want because if you are complaining about prices now...........try pricing areas with no competition!!!!!!! Sorry to tell you but if someone goes to buy Beef for 400 restaurants, they will get a far better price than someone buying beef for 1 or 2! again just my opinion, but it is obvious!! So be careful what you ask for.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 AM

268 posts, read 593,937 times
Beef comes in 3 grades.

Prime Choice Select

You get what you pay for. I wouldn't touch select steak with a 10-foot pole.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,301 times
So the mom and pops would not be competition for each other? there is obvious demand in SA for low cost meals. are you saying mom and pop restaurants would ignore market demands?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 AM

97 posts, read 340,802 times
My wife and I love to go eat out and are more than willing to pay the extra $$ to do so, however, San Antonio has such a lack of really good, high quality restaurants it's pretty sad. We actually travel to Houston sometimes just so that we can find a really good dinner location. And daresay breakfast location as well...that is also something that is seriously lacking in SA.

I akin it to the arts here in SA...yeah we have the majestic and symphony...but that pales in comparison to what a Houston or a Dallas has...

Last edited by sa_rushfan; 02-08-2010 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: forgot a work in my sentence

Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_rushfan View Post
My wife and I love to go eat out and are more than willing to pay the extra $$ to do so, however, San Antonio has such a lack of really good, high quality restaurants it's pretty sad. We actually travel to Houston sometimes just so that we can find a really good dinner location. And daresay breakfast location as well...that is also something that is seriously lacking in SA.

I akin it to the arts here in SA...yeah we have the majestic and symphony...but that pales in comparison to what a Houston or a Dallas has...

----but we have more taggers per capita.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Hey, let's not have this thread turn into a 'what's wrong with SA' b*tch fest... Our downfalls are many, but we're working on them and in time, San Antonio will be truly world class.

Arts-wise: We've got MANY interesting start-up theatre companies, but not the sophisticated audiences to enjoy them. Lots of empty (cheap) seats. Just because it's not touring through the Majestic or the severely under-used McCombs, doesn't mean it's not quality stuff.

Changing SA for the better means changing attitudes. While I haven't seen as much as I'd like from the young new mayor we're now got, I do hope he's a futurist who envisions less the cow-town we were, but the nearly 2 million population we'll soon become.

BN

Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 AM

153 posts, read 283,297 times
What I was saying is yes there is competition when there is only mom and pop restaurants, however since we were comparing a chain steakhouse vs a mom and pop 1 or 2 steakhouses, then M&P will pay much more to their beef supplier and therefore how do you think they get their profit back? That's right they would have to charge more to us. We do need low end restaurants, I dont know about you but I cant afford to eat steak everytime we go out for dinner.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_rushfan View Post

You realize Austin has several top notch restaurants and is much closer than Houston? Uchi, Wink, Chez Nous, etc. come to mind.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM

97 posts, read 340,802 times
Yup...we frequent Austin as well...closest place you can find a McCormick & Scmick's...

All in all...we'll travel for good food and more than willing to pay top $$ for it as well. Love San Antonio...but as I've mentioned...it is seriously lacking in this department. I've pretty much resorted to cooking a good meal at home...the misses loves it though that I'm cooking...still trying to determine Valentine Day dinner

Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 AM

Ill take Sand Bar any day of the week over McCormick & Scmick's. M&S is very good for a chain, but certainly not on Sand Bar's level. They were a regular spot for biz lunches when I worked in downtown LA. Fish tacos...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio