Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 9,062 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what it's like living in these areas? The rent is pretty cheap the school district is decent. I know it's the desert. I'm coming from St. Louis which is a simi large city. I was looking into Fresno but I wanted to be more Southern so these areas were suggested along with imperial. I'm a single parent of three I run a small business. I like the idea of a small town but i was worried when I saw be weary of scorpions.. 😱😱 what do people do here for fun? Things like that any insight would help.

Thanks,
Nichole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 06:28 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Yes, it will be cheaper up there, but remember: You get what you pay for. If you've never been to the High Desert, i.e. Morongo Valley/Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree/29 Palms, I strongly recommend you take a drive through them before you take up residence in any of those towns/cities.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:15 PM

8 posts, read 19,245 times
We go to 29 Palms once or twice a year as a weekend getaway - staying at the Harmony Motel off Hwy 62. Since you said you're coming from St. Louis, Fresno is probably a better match. 29 Palms is more or less a military town (home to the Marine Corp Air Combat Ground Center). There's really nothing to do in 29 Palms or Yucca Valley, which is specifically why we go there - to get away from the city, stargaze and hike. The next closest "big" city is Palm Springs, which is a good 50 mile drive away. If you can live with bare essentials and minimal amenities, it might work, but coming from St. Louis, it's quite the change. I recommend staying at a hotel in the area for a week.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:13 PM

118 posts, read 141,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Yes, it will be cheaper up there, but remember: You get what you pay for. If you've never been to the High Desert, i.e. Morongo Valley/Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree/29 Palms, I strongly recommend you take a drive through them before you take up residence in any of those towns/cities.
took the words right out of my mouth

Old 06-03-2016, 05:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Better to go down to the Coachella Valley. Cathedral City has bargain rents still.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:39 PM

26 posts, read 43,993 times
Yucca Valley is a pit. Our best friends have lived there for 40 years and we always wonder why. You're better off in Palm Springs area.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:02 AM

205 posts, read 409,169 times
I LOVE the desert.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:38 PM

285 posts, read 377,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse977 View Post
I LOVE the desert.

@ the above posters, there's lots to do in Joshua Tree Ntl Park if you're into the outdoors - cycling, hiking, rock climbing, stargazing . . . and you can drive to Big Bear, several preserves from the Wildlands Conservancy such as in Oak Glen and Pioneertown and Whitewater . . . and down to Palm Springs and its various amenities including more trails down there . . .

Joshua Tree, is attracting a huge influx of artists, writers, metaphysical types, gays, etc. since the rents are too expensive for those who are self-employed along the Californian Coast, due to the property managers

The property managers who I know in the Joshua Tree area are all very fair in terms of their rents. You can rent a 1,000 to 1,500 square foot home for as low as $750 but most are higher than that.

The best neighborhoods in Yucca Valley are at the far west end of town along SR-62 NW of the Travelodge, and, the Western Hills subdivision among the boulders just north of the intersection of Stater Bros and Walgreens.

For Joshua Tree, there are some very nice neighborhoods near the park, such as on the road leading up to the campground out of Yucca Valley.

The area has some issues with METH so you have to lock your stuff up. The area is growing so as jobs increase then meth issues will go down, just as they are in Temecula and Murrieta.

If you visit the area, try the Hi Desert Motel in Joshua Tree. Larry and Vi-Jay (Sorry, Spelling) are friendly and will answer any questions you have.

Also. Check out Raven's book store just before 29 Palms. An amazing collection of used books, one of the best.

And do not forget the City of Yucca Valley's Nature museum, with beautiful displays of the natural features, and also 3D maps of the area with the earthquake faults. Since the Landers Quake, the area has been rebuilding with strict codes. Older homes, I would check with an earthquake contractor to retrofit them before buying.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:45 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
I don't reside in the high desert, but I'm very familiar with it, and theoaks' information looks accurate for the most part. I can't vouch for the Hi-Desert Motel nor the museum, since I've never been to either. There is indeed a meth problem up there, too.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 AM

22 posts, read 31,356 times
Default Yucca Valley

We visit relatives in Yucca Valley a few times a year (and talk to them more frequently), and the post by "theoaks" seems accurate to me.

The sunsets/sunrises are beautiful, and wildlife abounds, at least out in the less developed areas. Our relatives have bird feeders, and so many varieties of birds come through, including road runners on a regular basis.

There's at least one yoga studio in Yucca Valley, antique stores, and ample regular stores. There are also some cool, unusual things to take visitors to see, if they like the offbeat, like the Noah Purifoy outdoor museum; a low-key place that plays old movies; and Pappy and Harriet's in Pioneertown. There's also an active community college. There is a strong artsy vibe in Yucca Valley and it seems to be on the upswing.

Obviously, it does get hot. It also gets more wind at times than I would have expected. Our relatives are out in the desert a bit on a butte, so maybe that contributes to how much wind they get.

Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties