Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 01:16 PM

830 posts, read 486,094 times

Advertisements

I'd rate that video as "mostly true". Sure, FOX has a position on the issue. All of the major networks do.

Not sure how 18Montclair's survey results are supposed to be relevant to the issues surrounding homelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 01:28 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I didn't watch the video, but I think liberal cities have the worst homelessness issues because they for the most part allow them to be drink in public, shoot up in public, set up camps on sidewalks, urinate & defecate in public, etc. Being homeless alone isn't a crime, but doing the things above, especially repeatedly is a crime.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,523 times
Correction, Granite60, San Diego was red, but it is surely purple if not blue now, even if you live in one of the last localized bastions of common sense redness. Pacific Beach is a horror show, and I mean that with all due respect and compassion for the homeless, however they got there.

Be great if we could find a bipartisan way to study the root causes of homeless population explosion. I don't think a shift to conservative policies alone will cure the issue, though on the same token, further shift to the progressive hand-out left in California will surely exacerbate the situation wildly.

But bipartisan days are gone for decades, I would predict. It will get much worse before it gets better.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:26 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Correction, Granite60, San Diego was red, but it is surely purple if not blue now, even if you live in one of the last localized bastions of common sense redness. Pacific Beach is a horror show, and I mean that with all due respect and compassion for the homeless, however they got there.

Be great if we could find a bipartisan way to study the root causes of homeless population explosion. I don't think a shift to conservative policies alone will cure the issue, though on the same token, further shift to the progressive hand-out left in California will surely exacerbate the situation wildly.

But bipartisan days are gone for decades, I would predict. It will get much worse before it gets better.
How do people deal with the homeless in Arizona, where you are?

Old 08-25-2019, 08:26 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But let me ask you this, why do 3 of the 4 west coast cities profiled by Fox News make this ranking if they are supposedly terrible places?

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...ive?src=usn_pr
The answer, of course, is in their ranking methodology. Their algorithm looks at
  • Job Market Index (20%): unemployment rate & average salary
  • Housing Affordability Index (25%): median HH income compared to annual housing costs
  • QOL Index (30%): crime rate, # health care facilities, college readiness scores, commute times
  • Desireability (15%): SurveyMonkey survey of 2500 people across the country
  • Net migration (10%)

Notice what is missing from the above? Any metric related to HOMELESSNESS. For example, they didn't put into the metric anything about tons of trash improperly disposed of at homeless camps. Nothing about discarded needles. Nothing about public illegal drug use. Nothing about human feces in the gutters. No question regarding a filthy tent city next to an elementary school.

If you ask Pollyanna questions, you'll get Pollyanna answers.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:45 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The answer, of course, is in their ranking methodology. Their algorithm looks at
  • Job Market Index (20%): unemployment rate & average salary
  • Housing Affordability Index (25%): median HH income compared to annual housing costs
  • QOL Index (30%): crime rate, # health care facilities, college readiness scores, commute times
  • Desireability (15%): SurveyMonkey survey of 2500 people across the country
  • Net migration (10%)

Notice what is missing from the above? Any metric related to HOMELESSNESS. For example, they didn't put into the metric anything about tons of trash improperly disposed of at homeless camps. Nothing about discarded needles. Nothing about public illegal drug use. Nothing about human feces in the gutters. No question regarding a filthy tent city next to an elementary school.

If you ask Pollyanna questions, you'll get Pollyanna answers.
How seemingly erudite ... yet not.

One example: “tons of trash improperly disposed of at homeless camps” ... but the homeless generate almost none of that trash. Nor do they retrieve it from having been “properly disposed of” previously. The homeless are not average consumers. They are hardly consumers at all. They do not buy merchandise. They are not extravagant eaters even. That trash, nearly 100% of it, the packing boxes and crates, broken furniture, discarded electronics, mountains of food refuse from restaurants and grocery stores and processors ... all comes to the streets by businesses and residential consumers. Illegal trash dumping is a plague across the nation - all with origins in our conspicuous consumption throw-away economy.

The homeless merely shuffle a small amount of it around. And not great distances. Few have trucks and vehicles to haul that garbage. It’s nearly all business-generated right in their environs.

So back to the drawing board for your metrics with regard to the homeless.

The discomforting thread connecting cities with high rates of homelessness to high desirability is: the desirability (environment, economic strengths, employment, culture, climate, etc) creates homelessness because upscaling development drives marginal populations out of low cost housing as it is converted.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:36 PM

782 posts, read 1,355,664 times
Default SF is disgusting!

I never thought I'd say this about my home city but it's true.
I grew up in SF in the 60-80's before moving out of state for a career change.
I have only been back maybe twice in that time and mostly hear about changes from acquaintances and the media/internet.
What has happened to what used to be 'Utopia'? I remember the charm and uniqueness of the city and Bay Area that earned it endearment to those who visited it from all over the globe.
Now I get sickened to see and hear of the filth and litter on the streets and the vast homelessness.
Liberalism went south on SF and it has apparently turned into a Hell-hole where anything and everything is acceptable. Like people defecating openly in public on the sidewalk and throwing feces at passerby's.
Sad but I don't know that I could stomach a visit the new SF today.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:15 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I don't know that I could stomach a visit the new SF today.
So, you haven't been back to visit but you're sure that it's an awful, liberal, literal-bleep show of a place?

Sorry, OP, but that doesn't make you sound like a very smart guy. Wherever you are, I'm glad you're happier (or maybe you're not?)

Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I grew up in SF in the 60-80's before moving out of state for a career change.
When u left, everything South of Market was a dump, and crime was actually worse than it is now.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:57 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I actually think San Francisco has gotten better over the years thanks to gentrification. I moved out in 2016, but go back on average one-two times per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland