Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times

Advertisements

Sogs -- I don't really eat on/near the Plaza (too expensive), so I really can't make any recommendations. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM

426 posts, read 1,086,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I have heard good and bad about Steaksmith ... but we have been driving past the place for about 30 years now, and I just want to try it one time. I have told my husband that is where I want to go for my birthday in April.
Have you tried The Bull Ring? It's a prime steak house. Pretty much the same as Ruth's Chris, and very pricey! $$$$$

I've had better steaks, but for Santa Fe (and more than likely ABQ) this is as good as it gets. Despite the price, it's manageable once a year for that special day.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 AM

13 posts, read 36,413 times
I recommend breakfast on the patio at La Posada when the weather warms up. It's a little pricey, but the food is good and the patio is so beautiful. Ate once at Fuego, also at La Posada, it was incredible- incredibly good food, incredibly expensive. Luckily I didn't have to foot the bill .

Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 AM

I never make it a practice to eat and pay for incredibly expensive food.

I'm kind of cheap like that. I prefer the little inexpensive joints. Then I feel like I am getting my money's worth.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 AM

13 posts, read 36,413 times
I'm with you on that Towanda! If I pay a lot and the meal turns out to be bad I feel like I've been cheated- and I hate to feel like I've been cheated . La Posada is a rare splurge.

Have you tried Del Charro on W Almeda? It is VERY cheap and really decent too. I've never gotten sick on the food there. Prices start at $2(!) for appetizers, $4-5 for dinner. It's a very limited menu but a fun, lively place with an outdoor patio with a fireplace. Drinks are a deal too.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM

I've had Del Charro on my list ever since we moved here, but haven't been there yet. We don't get to the Plaza area very often.

Last night we went to the Whole Hog Cafe on Cerrillos Rd. for the first time. Pretty good barbecue .... and I lived in Kansas City for 28 years, so I know barbecue.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:09 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Del Charro is the freakin best ever!
I remember it used to be real cheap.. they sorta raised the prices.

But the homemade chips and burgers are so yummy.. I just might run down there soon!!

and speaking of BBQ... Ever tried Rudy's BBQ in Albuquerque?
Fantastic.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
Out of towner here. Will be traveling through your fair city from Atlanta (heading to Oregon.)

So, then...

Have any of you tried Dinner For Two? If so, comments/thoughts?

Our criteria will be:

1) Local flavor a MUST

2) Romantic

3) Drinks

4) Affordability

Thanks!

ABM
You made this tough because a lot of our restaurants tend to create atmosphere that is touristy instead of romantic, and those that are truly romantic are less than affordable, and then there are some that are romantic and affordable, but they are not of "local flavor" which I am assuming means New Mexican cuisine, and not steaks, Italian, Indian, etc.

The only spots that come to mind that might fulfill all four of your criteria:

Bert's La Taqueria, 416 Agua Fria St.

The Shed, 113 1/2 E. Palace Ave.

Maria's, 555 W. Cordova Rd

Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 PM

6 posts, read 24,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
We have eaten out a lot this past week with out of town guests: La Choza, Maria's, Guadalupe Cafe, Harry's Roadhouse, Plaza Cafe, and Tecolote Cafe. Every place was excellent. YUMMMM.
You've hit several of our favorites -
Guadalupe Cafe
Tecolote Cafe
La Choza (sister to The Shed, which is where the tourists go instead)

We also love
Tia Sophia's
Maria's margaritas (the best in SF; the food is good but not the best-except maybe for the mini-ribs on the appetizer or bar menu)
Atomic Grill (for atomic pie, but also pizza, chai, italian sodas - but NOT for nachos)
Chicago Dog (for red chili frito pie)
Bobcat Bite (best green chili cheeseburger around)
Rio Chama (the bar, not the steakhouse) (for the Daily Grind burger - it is delicious and so are its fries or salad - and the margaritas are second or third best in SF)
Mucho Gusto (so good, we used their Mexican food at our wedding reception)
Tune-Up Cafe (on Hickox, replaced Dave's Not Here) - this is a great residential neighborhood place with some outside seating; many of the food selections are really good!
Clafoutis
Thai Cafe (almost weekly for us)
Il Vicino (our favorite pizza in Santa Fe - or 2 in Albuquerque; also almost weekly)
Cafe Dominic
nachos at the Catamount
Cafe Pasquals
Andiamo!

We agree, Josh's has good BBQ - but further agree, Rudy's of Albuquerque is best!

We, too, avoid the really expensive places; however, the following are a step down from the highest prices and basically worth their price (so recommended for a "splurge"):
Aqua Santa
Santacafe

There are many other restaurants we enjoy in SF, too - just not as much as those above (El Tesoro, Chow's, Bert's Tacqueria, Bumblebees, Blue Corn Cafe, The Pantry, Bagelmania, ...)

Old 06-06-2009, 10:04 PM

6 posts, read 24,117 times
We still haven't tried Dinner for Two but it is well rated.
Others we keep hoping to try:
Cafe Cafe (rated Best of SF this year in the Reporter)
Los Potrillos (also a Reporter favoritie perennially)
Del Charro
Mauka (it appears to be pretty pricey but they are supposed to be opening for lunch - cheaper)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe