Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM

175 posts, read 421,500 times

Advertisements

Thanks, it dont smell on the south end? Like under hunter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 PM

175 posts, read 600,453 times
The water treatment plant on President Street isn't all that great smelling either on any day especially on a warm, muggy day.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 AM

35 posts, read 72,152 times
We noticed the odor immediately after moving here. I walked out the door one morning and thought, "Gary, Indiana." That said, it's the water that really concerns me.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Except for whatever additives they put in the water like choline and fluoride, our water source is much better than most. Do a little reading about the Floridian aquifer and see for yourself. And questions regarding water quality can be addressed directly to the water department, if you really want to know.

My greatest concern is what impact the harbor deepening and continued development will have on the aquifer. That's something that's much harder to address since everyone is so hungry for the kinds of jobs that come from industry, development, and trade in our region.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:25 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well if you think it's bad, you should drive down I-95 to Midway / South Newport area and take a big whiff of the plant down there -- visible from the interstate but otherwise out in the middle of nowhere, and thus not held to the same odor control standards of IP and others in more populated areas. It will make your stomach turn on a good day. There's another plant in the netherland of SW Georgia that's the same wretched sickening smell. Having lived in Savannah in the early '90s, and then returning, I can assure you it is NOTHING close to what it once was. The past few days have been an anomaly brought on by colder weather. ALSO: What many people assume is the smell of the paper mills is often in fact decaying matter in the marshes, especially this time of year. The odor is similar.
I smelled this today and yesterday as I was commuting into Savannah and oh my god the smell was repulsive. I nearly threw up from it and it lingers for a bit. Really noticeable once you enter I-95 from the GA State Route 204 and start driving up I-95. Then it slowly begins to dissipate. Awful smell. Rotten egg sulfury smell is repulsive. So glad there is a thread on this topic so I can share my disgust. I realize I am bumping up an old thread.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
So glad there is a thread on this topic so I can share my disgust. I realize I am bumping up an old thread.
And did you enjoy sharing your disgust????

Old 10-16-2014, 06:17 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I smelled this today and yesterday as I was commuting into Savannah and oh my god the smell was repulsive. I nearly threw up from it and it lingers for a bit. Really
You're not running a fever are you???? Travel out of the country lately??

Just checking. God knows TSA not doing the job.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:34 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
And did you enjoy sharing your disgust????
Yes I did. Thank you very much for asking Padgett2. Take care and have a nice day.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:17 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
I grew up on the southside, off White Bluff Rd., so the smell rarely reached us, but occasionally it did when the wind changed course. Smelled like the plague. I will never forget that malodorous pall. I hear it isn't so bad these days. Perhaps the chemicals are less corrosive in the papermaking process now?

Old 12-26-2015, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,854 times
The smog and stench were unusually bad along I95 in the Brunswick area today. We were driving North from FL and could not believe how the smoke from the paper mill spread across the sky for miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area