Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 02:58 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity wondering is the area beginning to develop more given its favorable proximity to Jacksonville? The northside of Jacksonville has taken off with development in Nassau County FL along the border, so thought perhaps it might stand to reason. I have always felt it was a desirable, and overlooked area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 10:32 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times
I heard last year that the Brunswick area wanted to bring back the "Liberty Harbor" mix use project
This was Originally a project consisting of low-high residential homes and towers
Kingsland and St Marys has been in the news lately as well- I belive they are trying to slowly urbanize the corridor...

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/lo...d448ea966.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVMBmkiOwc

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/lo...5fb4a8742.html

Old 01-03-2023, 01:35 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Liberty Harbor would be quite the shot in the arm, thanks for sharing! Kingsland seems to have the drivers seat given location and current infrastructure as does the cute little town of Woodbine.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Liberty Harbor would be quite the shot in the arm, thanks for sharing! Kingsland seems to have the drivers seat given location and current infrastructure as does the cute little town of Woodbine.
Most Definitely!
I agree with you-I'm eager to see what happens town in the Kingsland area
I can also see Cumberland Island becoming something.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:05 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Ugh. You mean Cumberland Island being "developed" ? I hope not. they're already going to mine right next to the Okeefenokee. And building the spaceport right across from Cumberland with county tax dollars. Develop downtown Kingsland sure of course, mixed use infill all the way. Same for Jax.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Ugh. You mean Cumberland Island being "developed" ? I hope not. they're already going to mine right next to the Okeefenokee. And building the spaceport right across from Cumberland with county tax dollars. Develop downtown Kingsland sure of course, mixed use infill all the way. Same for Jax.
Wow- I didn't read up on the space port
If that's the case then Cumberland is fine the way it is- it just always bothered me how Georgia beaches have no development what so ever compared to neighboring Florida
Kingsland could definitely use some development and the swamp is fine the way it is...

Old 01-05-2023, 08:03 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
Georgia has the most unspoiled coast on the eastern seaboard. Maybe Maine is a close second... The barrier islands are critical to our ecology and storm resilience. Cumberland is a national treasure, along with Ossabaw, St. Catherine's, Blackbeard, Sapelo, Wassaw and the smaller ones in between. Leave 'em natural! There's plenty of seedy beach town stuff on Tybee and Jax Beach, and nice pockets of resorts on the Golden Isles, Amelia, and the islands around Charleston, if you must have a seaside room for a few nights not too far from home.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:30 PM

^^^ this x2 Sometimes more is not more, more is less. Thanks for backing us ATL Kid, on the swamp and island!

We have the perfect mix in GA. Tybee has a quaint vibe. Just enough stuff going on but still chill. It's perfect. I like Tybee. Wilmington NC was perfect as a similar example and still mostly is but look what's happening to Carolina beach. Same for Jekyll. Higher fees, more hotels with expensive rooms, bright lights, for what. Jekyll doesn't need fixing. Didn't need a convention center. Waste of tax dollars, probably lobbied to Kemp by some hotel chains.

If folks have been to Blackbeard or Ossabaw or the others folks may not understand. If not, you should see them. Especially at sunset or night. My goal is to see all the islands. I still haven't seen St Cathrine's yet. It would have been neat in its heyday to see all the animals from the NY Zoo, I hear they were released there after being retired. I hear you can go there if you are volunteering for research or field work so maybe one day.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:47 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
To be fair, Kemp wasn't Governor yet when the new Jekyll convention center was planned and built (2012). It only cost $39 Million to totally renovate. By today's standards, that's really not very much for a 128,000 sq. ft. facility that surely generates tons of revenue every year through hotel taxes, facility fees, employment for a good number of folks, catering and what not. It replaced a much older convention center which was pretty run down and in need of a fix or a demolition. I think the island mitigates the negative impact of so many visitors with its "parking" fee, which seems like a pretty good capitalization of its one and only pinch point entry gate.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:31 PM

Hm good points. The golf course is wonderful and affordable though and I thought I read they were going to replace it with condos or something. All in all still a great island, but the coast and islands require consistent vigilance to protect. Interestingly I read an article today about Helena Isl. Gov. McMaster actually came out swinging to protect it from resorts, kudos to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area