Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 10:25 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,932,516 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of heading up to Mt. Baker / Baker Lake area for some short hikes this weekend.
Is the weather ok now for this, or is it too early in season?
Any specific recommendations on lodging for an overnight?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:34 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,295,169 times
Some neat places up there, that's for sure. Not sure what your budget is, here are some places I found on Homeaway: Mount Baker Vacation Rentals, Cabin Rentals | HomeAway

Old 06-09-2015, 06:15 PM

Thanks homesinseattle. Since I'll be alone for this trip without family, I'm looking more for an established, clean, non-skanky lodge than a cabin (<$200 per one night excluding tax/fees, if possible).

Old 06-10-2015, 02:02 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,370 times
Unfortunately I can't give you a ton of recommendations when it comes to lodges in the area- we're still new and exploring, and we usually camp or drive back to Bellingham. From what we've seen when poking around Baker Lake/Concrete and the North Cascades Highway, though, is that there's not much in the way of the type of lodging you desire. But.....I could be wrong.

Regarding the conditions, I think you'll be fine. My wife and I hiked at Heather Meadows/Artist Point this past weekend, and camped/hiked in North Cascades NP (along Cascade River Road and up to Cascade Pass) the weekend before that. Unless you're going really high up, the conditions should be great for early season hiking.

If you're looking for conditions on a specific hike, I'd call one of the Baker-Snoqualmie NF forest offices (Sedro-Wooley or Glacier centers in Mt. Baker District) or look it up on the Washington Trails Association website and see if anyone's posted a recent report. Here's the link: Washington Trails Association. Happy Trails!

Old 06-10-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Unfortunately I can't give you a ton of recommendations when it comes to lodges in the area- we're still new and exploring, and we usually camp or drive back to Bellingham. From what we've seen when poking around Baker Lake/Concrete and the North Cascades Highway, though, is that there's not much in the way of the type of lodging you desire. But.....I could be wrong.

Regarding the conditions, I think you'll be fine. My wife and I hiked at Heather Meadows/Artist Point this past weekend, and camped/hiked in North Cascades NP (along Cascade River Road and up to Cascade Pass) the weekend before that. Unless you're going really high up, the conditions should be great for early season hiking.

If you're looking for conditions on a specific hike, I'd call one of the Baker-Snoqualmie NF forest offices (Sedro-Wooley or Glacier centers in Mt. Baker District) or look it up on the Washington Trails Association website and see if anyone's posted a recent report. Here's the link: Washington Trails Association. Happy Trails!
What was the weather, temperature this last weekend there? How to dress?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
What was the weather, temperature this last weekend there? How to dress?
It was 70+ at over 5,000' which is quite warm, especially when there's still a little snow on the ground (and usually a lot more). It's supposed to be a little cooler there this weekend, probably in the 60's during the day and 40's/50's at night. While on the trail I'd wear shorts or my hiking pants with a short sleeved shirt and a windbreaker. For the closest weather conditions, keep checking Marblemount, Concrete, or Glacier, WA. They're the closest towns to any of the trailheads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area