Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 12:28 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

I have been holding back on this one, just waiting to see others responding. So I will start with this:

I like the passive/aggressive mentality here. It really is quite endearing, and is why I waited so long to add to this thread.

I like green. I also like the word "lush", and the word "verdant", and the word "growing", and you can define the latter anyway you want.

I like the friendly people. I also like the friendly people who get angry once in awhile. Refer to item one.

I like the intelligence. People here are smart. Except sometimes on the freeways. Again, refer to item one.

I like libraries, and books, and writing, and reading. They all thrive here.

I like a city that attracts the brightest minds and the best companies.

I like sports. I like that many here like sports. I like they are enthusiastic.

I like good food. From Dick's to Canlis and everything culturally in between.

I like that dressing up means jeans and a nice shirt.

I like culture without being pretentious about it.

I like clouds. They are like a comforter.

I like sun, but only in the summer when it really shows who is boss.

I like a city surrounded by water and mountains and trees.

I like Seattle. My hometown.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-04-2016 at 12:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:56 AM

811 posts, read 1,146,098 times
A couple to amend my previous post...

- Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF)

- Naked (save for paint) solstice bike rides (actually, I love everything about the Fremont Solstice Parades)

And a word regarding a note I received about my "live music" claim from my previous post on this thread (whoever sent me that note - I don't know you are, or I'd respond directly. ):

Seattle is a thriving place for live music. Not only do we see the greats on their way into the limelight and on their way out of it (see: The Moore Theatre), but we see them on top of their games at the larger theaters (Key Arena) or even more intimately (Showbox). I don't know what your favorite flavor of uber-famous musician is, but Adele, Maroon 5, Brad Paisley, Grace Potter, and Justin Bieber are all making appearances in Seattle in the next few months, to name just a small few.

Those are not the shows that I really even enjoy though. It's the smaller, local bands that I can catch at Tractor Tavern, Hi Dive, and Sea Monster (again, just to name a few). It's rarely a matter of IF there's a show somewhere, but instead, how to choose between shows to go see.

I also say it's a thriving place for music because I have friends who make good livings, working as musicians in Seattle. My own husband made a living as a Seattle musician for a good number of years. That, in and of itself, says a lot about the music scene.

Anyway, sorry to subject the rest of you to that, I just wanted the opportunity to put another word out there to whoever wrote me that note. I stand by my original statement: a thriving music scene is one of the things I LOVE about Seattle.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:35 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
I love this area- moved here from the flat, boring, miserable Midwest 6 years ago and have loved every minute of it so far.

I love the scenery- the Puget Sound, the islands, the spectacular mountains, the forests- all so close to Seattle.
I love the relatively mild winters and the amazing comfortable summers.
I love the forward thinking mentality in the city.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:12 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Look behind the Emerald Curtain, you will find hard core outdoor activities, fringe and experimental theatre, talented artists and a lot of people who love their town. It heartens me to read all of your comments. For new people, pick up a Stranger newspaper or Seattle Weekly, if you can't find something to do, I would tell you "only boring people are bored".
Let's keep this thread rolling, soon people will be calling to make it a "sticky".

Old 02-05-2016, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,645 times
I'm originally from the Seattle area but moved to Southern California last year. I miss the scenery...Mt. Rainier, the Olympic Mountains, and all the greenery. The view of Seattle is breathtaking, especially going southbound on I-5 into the city. Summers in Seattle are awesome, and I love the long summer days. I'm trying to convince my husband to move back.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
The one thing I have learned over the years is you have to go where your heart is. But that could mean many things, including your husband's wishes. This is where compromise comes into play, or whether one or the other feels stronger in the argument. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,645 times
Thank you, pnwguy. We will see how things go these next few months. It has been quite a valuable experience living in a new area, and I am grateful for that.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Seattle is a thriving place for live music. Not only do we see the greats on their way into the limelight and on their way out of it (see: The Moore Theatre), but we see them on top of their games at the larger theaters (Key Arena) or even more intimately (Showbox). I don't know what your favorite flavor of uber-famous musician is, but Adele, Maroon 5, Brad Paisley, Grace Potter, and Justin Bieber are all making appearances in Seattle in the next few months, to name just a small few.

Those are not the shows that I really even enjoy though. It's the smaller, local bands that I can catch at Tractor Tavern, Hi Dive, and Sea Monster (again, just to name a few). It's rarely a matter of IF there's a show somewhere, but instead, how to choose between shows to go see.

Hey, Seattle got to see one of my favorite bands, The Tragically Hip, at the Paramount on September 29, 2015. No, I was in Dodge City, KS, at that time. We saw Blue Oyster Cult open up for Boston over here on August 25, 2015, at United Wireless Arena. That was pretty good, but I haven't seen Das Hip since August of 2002, at Pier 62/63 in Seattle. And you guys had a chance to see them last year in Seattle. Seattle's music scene is one of the best things about Seattle and only one of the things that make it the coolest city in America.

And I don't mean temperature-wise.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:06 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
I love the city employees of Seattle. Almost all of my calls or visits to public agencies are dealt with quickly by city employees who really know their stuff. Also, because I live in Houston most of the year I often ask for things by phone which technically require an in-person visit and, using common sense instead of adhering to bureaucratic rules, they accommodate me.

In the last year alone I've been impressed by employees of Metro (not just the drivers), Seattle Public Libraries, the SPARC program, Parks & Recreation, Seattle Public Utilities, USPS (federal, I know)... I think it reflects the civic pride and engagement that Seattle citizens foster, versus the shortsighted paradigm prevalent in Houston that regards government as evil and all government workers as lazy. The kicker is that our property taxes in Seattle are one third what we pay in Houston, and we get so more in return for our money.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:04 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
And then there is the Olympic peninsula!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area