Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM

2,646 posts, read 3,180,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am not sure what your asking here.

Battery banks yes.

Otherwise they are strictly 120vac.

Yes.

We are looking at going 12vdc for some of the circuits in our home. But some things [like our well] will require 120/240vac.
You covered it. I was asking if the panels fed battery banks or 120V inverters. I think the early solar systems were almost always battery banks and low voltage lights/appliances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 PM

19,032 posts, read 14,310,076 times
There's really no best place to live, since most current designs are not going to be functional or secure post-SHTF.

Personally, I'd prefer to live in a fortified village, with like minded folks.
One idea is the dual ring village.

Dual Ring Village : Ozmirage, Emerald City of Dreams (http://www.ozmirage.org/anic/tiki-index.php?page=Dual%20Ring%20Village - broken link)

Old 05-14-2011, 11:31 PM

4,171 posts, read 10,718,583 times
That's actually why I was very, very careful when buying this property, jetgraphics.
1) It is remote enough to be out of the way of traveling miscreants from larger cities and towns.
2) The part of the town that does face the lone highway in this area looks abandoned and poor.
3) There was enough land to do whatever I wanted.
4) It was so rural that there were no ordinances on what I could construct or what animals or plants I could raise; practically zero government. As long as we don't impact other people's enjoyment of their property, we can do as we please.
5) And this is the most important - like-minded people. People who were independent, who left other people alone - but who would help each other in a pinch. A place where DH's mechanical and medical skills, and my skills with plants and animals, would be useful in trade and barter.

There are little towns like this all over the country, but this was the one where I felt the most comfortable, and where the property wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg, plus the left ear of a South African wombat.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
2) The part of the town that does face the lone highway in this area looks abandoned and poor.
There's an idea - buy a "dump" but only fix up the interior. No one will give it a second look, post-SHTF.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:04 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,035,799 times
Make the dump able to live with out man, which means with out heat. Get it rodent proof too.

As i think Jet is refering to, many homes and other building will not last long with out power from the grid. These better insulated places will hold moisture and rot from the inside out with no power to heat and change air.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,672,488 times
I wish I had a nickel for everytime I've heard or read generalizations, stereotypes and preconceived notions --- like this:

"I lived in state X, this or that happened, the climate was this, laws were that, rainfall was this and humidity was that -- therefore the entire state, no wait, the entire region is like this."

Ever hear of microclimates and how to find them? Do local laws apply to entire states and regions?

I agree with the previous poster who wrote that some will just follow what seems trendy.

IMO, the best thing to do is to live in the present. This doesn't mean you can't be prepared for some disasters that might occur...be realistic and know you can't be prepared for all.

Choose a place where you know you can be self-sufficient in many scenarios --- but one where you will be content under any circumstances. Be realistic, not trying to live out some kind of romanticized dream; and understand that S may never HTF - or hit in ways you expect and have prepared.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM

In my life the shtf a few times, little things like that last ice strom that took out most of NY 1/3rd of Canada and all of New England.

Being what and who I am I just had a good time. I went about helping anyone which turned out to be around 5 different companies locals and elderly. I cut downed trees and pushed them off roads for weeks, brought in what little supplies I could get, to those in need, and on the 3rd night of the ice coming suddenly the storm stopped and i woke my Bride and we walked in a tunnel if ice in the moon light.

Some of my help seemed more of a problem that it was worth at times. One tree service truck slide off the road and a good ways down the mt... Before i chained that truck to mine I told the crew I would rip off the mirror and the running board, probably cave in the door too, and then I did.... They stopped on a very large bolder, so there wasn't a lot anyone could do about it.

I didn't need a gun, but I did need 2 chain saws and not toys, chain, 4 come-a-longs and other assorted tooling, right down to a Red Ryder kiddie sled with a wooden box on the deck as a tool hauler.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Make the dump able to live with out man, which means with out heat. Get it rodent proof too.

As i think Jet is refering to, many homes and other building will not last long with out power from the grid. These better insulated places will hold moisture and rot from the inside out with no power to heat and change air.
No argument there - an autonomous house must have unpowered / passive means to provide comfort.

Some ideas here:
Autonomous Domicile : Ozmirage, Emerald City of Dreams (http://www.ozmirage.org/anic/tiki-index.php?page=Autonomous%20Domicile - broken link)
Roof turbine vent
Air Vent: Wind Turbines
Passive dehumidifier
Energy Recovery Products - Pinnacle® - Overview (http://www.semcoinc.com/products/energyrecovery/pinnacle/index.php - broken link)

Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 PM

The typical cookie cutter box in common use these days is doomed with out man and power. With out power and just man, it will be a cold/hot, mold ridden, stinking to high hell box.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 AM

123 posts, read 298,761 times
this is interesting though, are you not afraid it might turn to a ghost town no services for your needs?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

We looked for three years for a place that people were moving away from;

'Scuze me... the town just trimmed 20 trees in the park and dumped them in my backyard because they know I have a woodburning stove, and they don't have the time, place, or personnel to burn them off. I have work to do... Have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness