Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 05:39 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,841,632 times

Advertisements

These comments make me feel better at least about the conditions the US will face. I feel terrible that many, especially 3rd world countries, are going to have a terrible time on top of all of their other problems.

It's worrisome when the US president tells us that "food shortages are coming" but is not specific. The Goya Foods president, who seems to be very logical fellow, has also put out the alarms. Goya is world wide company, so he's warning everyone.

Overall, some great advice here in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 01:31 PM

8,993 posts, read 4,674,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
These comments make me feel better at least about the conditions the US will face. I feel terrible that many, especially 3rd world countries, are going to have a terrible time on top of all of their other problems.

It's worrisome when the US president tells us that "food shortages are coming" but is not specific. The Goya Foods president, who seems to be very logical fellow, has also put out the alarms. Goya is world wide company, so he's warning everyone.

Overall, some great advice here in this post.
I was somewhat surprised at how poorly we adapted, when it came to baby formula, but my surprise was because I am not being versed in the subject (all of my great grand children are on solid food).

Generally, however, Americans can adapt, if capitalism is allowed to do its thing.

If beef gets short, the price goes up and we switch to chicken.
If chicken gets short, the price goes up and we switch to pork.
If pork gets short, the price goes up and we switch to beans.

It is only when government interferes, though price controls and stuff, that the system goes haywire.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:40 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,498,185 times
If you are over 45 or so, think twice about stocking up on wheat, rice, corn, pasta, oats, or any grain products. Yes, I know they store well, but a steady diet of that stuff can lead to obesity and/or diabetes. And you won't need either of those conditions when SHTF.

Instead, I recommend that you stock up on meat, fish, eggs and cheeses. No, they don't all have to be frozen - but some can be. There are some excellent canned meats (chicken, roast beef, turkey, pork), and canned fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel, etc). Butter and cheese are also canned; check out the Red Feather and Bega brands, pricey but excellent. If you can tolerate milk, both evaporated and condensed milks are canned, but there is also the nonfat dry varieties.

Several freeze dried companies produce whole egg powder, or you can freeze your own beaten eggs.

In general, we should all be avoiding sugars and grains, and adding much more protein to our diets, esp if we are older or overweight. No reason to compromise your health just because the political class is fighting its own battles over land, resources, water, fertilizer, diesel fuel, and power grabs. You can bet that they won't be eating wheat berries instead of steak!

Old 05-20-2022, 04:02 PM

457 posts, read 308,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you are over 45 or so, think twice about stocking up on wheat, rice, corn, pasta, oats, or any grain products. Yes, I know they store well, but a steady diet of that stuff can lead to obesity and/or diabetes. And you won't need either of those conditions when SHTF.

Instead, I recommend that you stock up on meat, fish, eggs and cheeses. No, they don't all have to be frozen - but some can be. There are some excellent canned meats (chicken, roast beef, turkey, pork), and canned fish (salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel, etc). Butter and cheese are also canned; check out the Red Feather and Bega brands, pricey but excellent. If you can tolerate milk, both evaporated and condensed milks are canned, but there is also the nonfat dry varieties.

Several freeze dried companies produce whole egg powder, or you can freeze your own beaten eggs.

In general, we should all be avoiding sugars and grains, and adding much more protein to our diets, esp if we are older or overweight. No reason to compromise your health just because the political class is fighting its own battles over land, resources, water, fertilizer, diesel fuel, and power grabs. You can bet that they won't be eating wheat berries instead of steak!
I'd add Pemmican to that list. Easy to make, lasts for a long time too. Kept the Indians and Mountain Men alive.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

You forgot legumes. About half of my protein stores are in dry beans and similar items. For those who can't tolerate cow milk, I suggest you give goat's milk a try. Might not be the end all solution for milk, but it can be a part of the solution. The canned, evaporated, milk keeps for at least three years, and is a bit more nutrient dense than cow's milk.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:38 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,918,822 times
"If you are over 45 or so, think twice about stocking up on wheat, rice, corn, pasta, oats, or any grain products. Yes, I know they store well, but a steady diet of that stuff can lead to obesity and/or diabetes. And you won't need either of those conditions when SHTF."

Not bad advice, but everybody's situation is different. If I was in full-time "survival" mode I would be burning so many calories that obesity / diabetes wouldn't be an issue pretty much regardless of what I was eating. I could consume a lot of carbs and sugars to fuel my gathering of proteins and fats.

As far as canned food goes, we don't really eat any so it's not something we can use for preparedness because it's not something we can rotate out. The food bank won't take expired food and most canned food is good years beyond the "best by" date on the can. But for the novice prepper looking for canned goods, my advice is to buy chef boyardee products like beef ravioli. It has protein (beef), carbs (pasta), veg/fruit (tomato sauce), electrolytes (salt, seasonings). If one does a little research they will find that these same products were once canned military rations. If they reach the end of their canned lives as human food, dogs seem to thrive off them as well. And oddly enough, most canned human food like chef boyardee now costs less than mediocre dog food does.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:25 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,592,381 times
A lot depends on how much you're eating too. In a survival situation, usually your stored supplies are rationed simply because you may not be able to resupply, so portion sizes may be adjusted to what you need as opposed to what you want.

While I have dehydrated potatoes in my stores, I know I'll be growing and using fresh as much as I can. I would also forage wild edibles to save my dry stores as much as possible.

I agree with Nor'Eastah though, in my area, the Indians relied on fats and proteins. They had no crops but forged wild roots and other edibles.
Silverbear was also correct on pemmican. I'd use jerky too and smoking for meat preservation if I didn't have salt.

I can get wheat and other grains by the truckload from my neighbors, but fats and proteins have the best calorie to volume ratio.
We aren't in a survival situation yet, but with inflation, grains will be cheaper than meat, so Nor'Eastah's advice is good for long term food supply issues.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:36 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,555,839 times
It's helpful to consider big diet changes ahead of time. Dropping grains to change to higher fat and protein is going to trigger a change in gut health. It's going to take the body a bit to adjust. If this is something we're seriously considering it's helpful to make the change over time. We're going to need optimal health if we're in an emergency situation, not running to the bathroom or otherwise feeling unwell.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:13 AM

457 posts, read 308,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's helpful to consider big diet changes ahead of time. Dropping grains to change to higher fat and protein is going to trigger a change in gut health. It's going to take the body a bit to adjust. If this is something we're seriously considering it's helpful to make the change over time. We're going to need optimal health if we're in an emergency situation, not running to the bathroom or otherwise feeling unwell.
Use bone broths made from marrow bones to make soups to start the change. A good soup made from real bone stock, and some veg like onion for flavor, and bread will help adjust your gut to higher fat. Just don't skim the fat off the soup and use the marrow in the soup, don't throw it out.
Makes a good meal.

Most soups rely on cream, flour roux's and noodles for thickening. A bone broth uses the natural fats in the marrow, which is highly nutritious, to add flavor, so you don't need thickening to have a rich soup. You can add some leftover roast or potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, parsnips or something for more body.

Easy on the salt, substitute Rosemary, Basil or Oregano for flavor. Going to a high protein, high fat diet, you don't need a lot of salt to clog your arteries.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"If you are over 45 or so, think twice about stocking up on wheat, rice, corn, pasta, oats, or any grain products. Yes, I know they store well, but a steady diet of that stuff can lead to obesity and/or diabetes. And you won't need either of those conditions when SHTF."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
Easy on the salt, substitute Rosemary, Basil or Oregano for flavor. Going to a high protein, high fat diet, you don't need a lot of salt to clog your arteries.
While I agree with the higher protein, lower carb diet (and follow that, somewhat, myself) let us not forget two things:
1. Grains and legumes are less expensive, and once you have your 70 gram's/day (varies a lot from person to person) of protein and a little fat, you simply need calories to sustain you. Eating less, a lot less, reduces health problems, too.

2. Excellent health is simply the slowest route to the grave. No one lives forever, so we should eat what makes us feel good, even if we have to eat a little less of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness