Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 02:53 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,055,678 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong but........

........on what to do, well, first of all, if you can, find yourself that niche that is okay for you but no one else eats. When I was part of a shared pantry, I kept a supply of brown rice, split peas, and sardines in oil there because it was the kind of food no one else would eat (they begged me not to give sardines as presents to them) but I could use to cook up a decent meal for myself. Now, lentils have replaced the brown rice but the sardines in oil is a decent, if primitive way, to season a pot.

Another thing to consider are the cans that need can openers and not the pop tops for the less hardy will go for the pop tops first. Secondly, cans that need can openers may be better sealed.

I am not sure on corn since it is more used to feed beef than people and with beef prices going up, will beef need it as much? Corn is vital in my diet, though, since it is better for my Type II than flour is, so storing that, however I can, in meal and corn flour is what I do. Of course, "traditionally", 5 lbs of flour have cost 50 cents less than 2 lbs of corn meal.

If one doesn't have it yet, now is probably a good time to figure out substitutes for key mixing ingredients, what to use instead of butter, buttermilk, sugar, and the like. Water or oil in the cans? It's a trade off for both are needed. Water, obviously, but oil to be used as noted above and also to avoid rabbit starvation.

Try to eat your frozen food earlier than you eat from cans.

If you haven't already, learn to eat beans. Me, I go for dry goods and not cans and go for all kinds. My version of Moors & Christians, for example, of black beans, black eyed peas, and (it was rice) lentils makes a good meal that cooks quickly and produces its own taste juices. Pinto beans are cheap and plentiful but can be hard to cook. I don't use them straight but toss them in a stew as extra bugs, extra calories. Like that, they cook up pretty decently, pretty quickly.

Now, a caution on beans and other dry goods. They are often WIC type food so as you stock up, keep in mind the less fortunate who depend on such. A potential good thing is, theorizing, that between it being WIC food and that it is not in cans, the less hardy might avoid it, at least at first. Maybe.

If you can do spaghetti, good for you! As a Type II, I can't but if you depend on spaghetti and since it is made of wheat, we-ll..........

Buy spices as you can. Go to Big Lots and buy what spices they have on sale (especially garlic, boy has that been outrageous of late). Spices won't keep you alive but when the food supplies are sparse, they can make it taste better.

Finally, be economical. I save my Parmesan, Feta, & Bleu cheese containers until I am making a stew. Fill them with water, maybe give them a shake, and add the liquid in. Give things one last use if in a less than conventional way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 04:11 PM

10,356 posts, read 6,908,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I have limited space at home, so I want to make sure I stock up on items that is most likely to be in short supply this summer. We know of the shortage of wheat and sunflower oil that makes a lot of food items we consume.

Once the shortages hit the European area, it won't be long until the US starts to feel it.

What items are the smart preppers in this forum stocking up on?
Ammunition.

(No, I'm NOT kidding.)

Actually, they've already stock piled enough ammo to eliminate any threat, foreign OR domestic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness