Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 05:45 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,841,632 times

Advertisements

I have limited space at home, so I want to make sure I stock up on items that is most likely to be in short supply this summer. We know of the shortage of wheat and sunflower oil that makes a lot of food items we consume.

Once the shortages hit the European area, it won't be long until the US starts to feel it.

What items are the smart preppers in this forum stocking up on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 07:09 AM

4,606 posts, read 6,381,271 times
I am finding wheat berries are already in short supply, or not in stock. Ground wheat, or flour has a short shelf life, but whole grain, or berries store much better/longer.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:45 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,068,182 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63445537-post1.html

That posting should be very concerning to us all.
Everything I normally eat is what I'm focusing on, beginning with the granola for breakfast; stored in mylar w/O2 absorbers.
Unopened peanut butter lasts a long time in the fridge, plus other items I know I can store for at least a year.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:55 AM

9,006 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/63445537-post1.html

That posting should be very concerning to us all.
Everything I normally eat is what I'm focusing on, beginning with the granola for breakfast; stored in mylar w/O2 absorbers.
Unopened peanut butter lasts a long time in the fridge, plus other items I know I can store for at least a year.
While there are minor detail flaws in the article, the gist of it is spot on.
(For instance, the problem in Singapore isn't transportation, it is manufacturing: shut down due to a response to Covid infection rates. A response that is beyond mere stupidity.)

What I have learned about the supply chain, in the past 6 months, has astonished me. Logistical problems today are being caused by inefficiencies that should have been fixed almost 20 years ago.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,616,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
While there are minor detail flaws in the article, the gist of it is spot on.
(For instance, the problem in Singapore isn't transportation, it is manufacturing: shut down due to a response to Covid infection rates. A response that is beyond mere stupidity.)

What I have learned about the supply chain, in the past 6 months, has astonished me. Logistical problems today are being caused by inefficiencies that should have been fixed almost 20 years ago.
Who should have "fixed" it?

Old 05-17-2022, 11:15 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
The "food shortage" because of the war won't be until fall. The wheat shortage will be because fields can't be planted and crops can't be harvested. The wheat everyone is eating right now was harvested last fall when there was plenty of wheat. Come this fall, when it is time to harvest wheat, there is going to be a shortage because there will be little wheat from the Ukraine which is a major supplier of wheat.

55% of the wheat grown in the USA is exported. We have plenty of wheat. It is other countries who will suffer. Italy imports 8.9 million tons of wheat. They might feel a pinch in their pasta supply.

It looks like fertilizer might be in short supply due to the war, and if that is happening all crop yields will be reduced a bit this fall and greatly reduced next fall. That will put a crimp in food supplies.... in the fall.

Right now, any shortages in groceries are caused by supply chain issues and a bit of the problem caused by hoarding.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:24 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
You should store what you like to eat, what you know how to cook, and what also stores well. If you have llimited storage area, also try to make it nutrition dense food. A year's supply of iceberg lettuce won't really do you much good (if you can figure out away to store it) Grains and beans are much easier to store and contain good food value.

Make sure you have salt and some spices to doll your legumes up.

My best guess is that prices will go up but that we will still have lots of food available... unless this snarl in the Ukraine turns into WWIII, which isn't outside the realm of possibility. Given the irrationality of the Russians, it could always get really bad. Or maybe not. Maybe they will capture their slice of the Ukraine and seaport they want and then go home. There is no way to guess that isn't merely wild speculation.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:58 AM

9,006 posts, read 4,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The "food shortage" because of the war won't be until fall. The wheat shortage will be because fields can't be planted and crops can't be harvested. The wheat everyone is eating right now was harvested last fall when there was plenty of wheat. Come this fall, when it is time to harvest wheat, there is going to be a shortage because there will be little wheat from the Ukraine which is a major supplier of wheat.

55% of the wheat grown in the USA is exported. We have plenty of wheat. It is other countries who will suffer. Italy imports 8.9 million tons of wheat. They might feel a pinch in their pasta supply.

It looks like fertilizer might be in short supply due to the war, and if that is happening all crop yields will be reduced a bit this fall and greatly reduced next fall. That will put a crimp in food supplies.... in the fall.

Right now, any shortages in groceries are caused by supply chain issues and a bit of the problem caused by hoarding.
Exactly Right.

Quote:
You should store what you like to eat, what you know how to cook, and what also stores well. If you have llimited storage area, also try to make it nutrition dense food. A year's supply of iceberg lettuce won't really do you much good (if you can figure out away to store it) Grains and beans are much easier to store and contain good food value.

Make sure you have salt and some spices to doll your legumes up.

My best guess is that prices will go up but that we will still have lots of food available... unless this snarl in the Ukraine turns into WWIII, which isn't outside the realm of possibility. Given the irrationality of the Russians, it could always get really bad. Or maybe not. Maybe they will capture their slice of the Ukraine and seaport they want and then go home. There is no way to guess that isn't merely wild speculation.
Because of Ukraine's location and resources, if the Russians "get what they want" things "will get really bad." If they don't, and Putin decides to try out some tactical nukes, things "will get really bad." If Putin expands the war into Nato, and launches simultaneous cyber and kinetic attacks Nato countries that believe they are under our protection, things "will get really bad.

We are at a point in history where every logical route forward is likely to be somewhere between pretty rough and "really bad."

For those of us in the US, "pretty rough" will mean higher prices, so your advice to "store what you eat" is spot on. "Really bad," for those of us in the US, will mean occasional disruptions, to the degree that some things won't be available at one place or another, sometimes whole areas of the country, for weeks at a time. (Think about how hard it was to get .243 ammo, over the past couple years.)

Alliances with others, sometimes to extend your reach, to help find "needful things" might be another idea, some people should look into.

Old 05-17-2022, 12:31 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,638,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I have limited space at home, so I want to make sure I stock up on items that is most likely to be in short supply this summer. We know of the shortage of wheat and sunflower oil that makes a lot of food items we consume.

Once the shortages hit the European area, it won't be long until the US starts to feel it.

What items are the smart preppers in this forum stocking up on?
More specialized shelf-stable products will likely be in shorter supply or harder to find (at higher prices). I have some high quality Barilla non GMO gluten free corn and rice pasta (25 boxes at 8 servings per box). Bought most in 2020, will go through the remainder for the next 6-12 months at a much lower price than I would ever find or pay for now.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:29 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,204,935 times
Quote:
….
A while back - 4-6 weeks ago I have read somewhere - could be BBC? - don’t remember now - that the Russians encouraged the Ukraine agricultural companies to plow the fields and start planting: allegedly Russia provided seeds and fertilizer to the Ukrainian agriculture.

The same source said that the Russian military is ordered to be careful and not to destroy the fields…

Let’s hope it is true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness