Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 05:58 AM

5,433 posts, read 3,642,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Correct but everything in moderation!
how do we prepare for a life changing event in moderation?
and what do you call moderation when the OP is about surviving 6-12 months?

Last edited by bigpaul; 06-07-2022 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 07:06 AM

9,192 posts, read 4,842,846 times
Quote:
Come on, in the Ukraine people are getting by and that is a warzone!
Are you in Ukraine?
If not, moot point.

Quote:
I knew a guy in the 80s that was a prepper. He was wealthy and lived in a gated country club. Guy was HUGE on guns/ammo/bomb food......ready to eat meals. He had a substantial tool collection as well. So Franklin died, widow is overwhelmed. Guns got sold, ammo was given away (dozens of ammo boxes), bomb food went in the trash (we opened one, it was awful to eat).

I got the tools. Widow was younger and she lived to be 100 years old.

Moral of the story..........the end of the world likely comes after your day has come!
OK then, so you are outing yourself as an anti-prepper?
(seems like we have had this conversation before...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
how do we prepare for a life changing event in moderation?
and what do you call moderation when the OP is about surviving 6-12 months?
What is moderation to one is extreme to another, but I notice that City Guy hasn't contributed one keystroke towards actually answering the question.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Are you in Ukraine?
If not, moot point.

OK then, so you are outing yourself as an anti-prepper?
(seems like we have had this conversation before...)

What is moderation to one is extreme to another, but I notice that City Guy hasn't contributed one keystroke towards actually answering the question.
being a "city guy" I'm assuming he is no prepper. probably anti prepping .

Old 06-07-2022, 08:05 AM

11,087 posts, read 4,732,641 times
Quote:
being a "city guy" I'm assuming he is no prepper. probably anti prepping .

when asked why he robbed banks, the bank robber said 'that is where all the money is'

why is it assumed that a 'prepper' must live on a coumpound in montana?

serious question tho for you.....if you read the responses in these threads (my new mini hobby) I see that all the 'preppers' go to great pains to describe their arms and ammo count as if that is job 1 when the lights go out and you are hungry.

You are in the UK, (your profile thingy says so) The UK has an unusual relationship with firearms such that only the nasty crooks have them. do YOU have a prepper grade rifle as well? If not, how do you get around that bit of coping that everyone else says they cannot....this is a serious question

Old 06-07-2022, 08:13 AM

14,990 posts, read 9,921,886 times
Quote:
thats fine by me.
anything one cant repair, make or grow we need to learn to live without. a lot of it depends on one's life style anyway, I intend to keep it simple.
I'm naturally a recluse a hermit and the survival rate in such an already low population area will be even lower.
Ever needed medical care from an injury where you can't reach? or see? break a bone?

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just pointing out the obvious. Being self sufficient is different then isolation. Survival will EVENTUALLY require trading, bartering, buying something from someone, somewhere.

Life and survival REQUIRES other people.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Ever needed medical care from an injury where you can't reach? or see? break a bone?

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just pointing out the obvious. Being self sufficient is different then isolation. Survival will EVENTUALLY require trading, bartering, buying something from someone, somewhere.

Life and survival REQUIRES other people.
dosent mean that any medical professional will survive TSHTF, being mostly in hospitals in the cities they are on the front line and will probably be the first to go.
you may think survival requires other people but what if there arent any other people?
my area is very rural and very remote, the nearest emergency room is an hour by road and thats now, post SHTF it probably wont be safe or even possible.

Last edited by bigpaul; 06-07-2022 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
when asked why he robbed banks, the bank robber said 'that is where all the money is'

why is it assumed that a 'prepper' must live on a coumpound in montana?

serious question tho for you.....if you read the responses in these threads (my new mini hobby) I see that all the 'preppers' go to great pains to describe their arms and ammo count as if that is job 1 when the lights go out and you are hungry.

You are in the UK, (your profile thingy says so) The UK has an unusual relationship with firearms such that only the nasty crooks have them. do YOU have a prepper grade rifle as well? If not, how do you get around that bit of coping that everyone else says they cannot....this is a serious question
firearms are available in the UK its just that we have more strict licencing laws.
one does not need an assault rifle in the UK to prep, there are other ways .all of them a lot quieter than a standard firearm.

Last edited by bigpaul; 06-07-2022 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 08:31 AM

32,766 posts, read 48,508,866 times
Quote:
and they are getting assistance from all over the world, that wont happen post SHTF, you are on your own.

And a lot of them have fled the country and a lot of them have died and haven't survived at all.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:33 AM

14,990 posts, read 9,921,886 times
Quote:
Correct but everything in moderation!
Moderation is the wrong word and I'm not trying not to split hairs, but preparing for the 'obvious threat', the likely threat is correct.

Food-water-shelter.... basic, objective and obvious. Tools are more important then 10K rounds of ammo, but guns are tools. Manual skills required and if you pound computer keys all day, then try another approach or have interpersonal skills.

If this is what you mean by moderation, well OK, but the word moderation is like drinking warm beer to me.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Moderation is the wrong word and I'm not trying not to split hairs, but preparing for the 'obvious threat', the likely threat is correct.

Food-water-shelter.... basic, objective and obvious. Tools are more important then 10K rounds of ammo, but guns are tools. Manual skills required and if you pound computer keys all day, then try another approach or have interpersonal skills.

If this is what you mean by moderation, well OK, but the word moderation is like drinking warm beer to me.
anyone who talks about moderation to me that sounds like they want to limit what I can store.

i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness