Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2024, 07:15 AM

1,812 posts, read 903,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I wish you the best then. I would not want to live in Alaska for a few reasons.

1. It's the land bridge for the bad guys to come here. Alaska is the front lines. It's full of the number one resource that every nation wants.

2. Alaska is a tough environment to live in if one hasn't learned the large number of skills and developed the physical stamina to do it. Alaska is a no-holds barred wilderness. It's not for the faint of heart. And if the world shuts down and we go back to pre-modern living... it will be even tougher. Imagine Alaska with no supply lines to the lower 49, no power and no fuel.

3. I fit in category 2 - even though I have the skills necessary to live in a variety of other environments. I was in the military and attended various survival schools to learn skills necessary to do my job. I did go to "beginner" Arctic survival school.... thank God..... and that's what convinced me to not want to bug out to Alaska. But it does make me wish I had been born there instead.
Southeast Alaska is made up of mostly islands with no roads even where it is connected to the mainland. Not all of Alaska is in the arctic and very survivable. Not worried about fuel and we posses the ability to generate electricity from multiple sources. No need to be reliant on supply lines to the lower 48. Where is this land bridge that you speak of? And the roads to drive on? You might want to consult a world map and an atlas of Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 08:28 AM

8,951 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Southeast Alaska is made up of mostly islands with no roads even where it is connected to the mainland. Not all of Alaska is in the arctic and very survivable. Not worried about fuel and we posses the ability to generate electricity from multiple sources. No need to be reliant on supply lines to the lower 48. Where is this land bridge that you speak of? And the roads to drive on? You might want to consult a world map and an atlas of Alaska.
You keep saying "Southeast Alaska" but I don't think many people realize how far SE you mean. You are in more of a Seattle, Vancouver and British Columbia environment.

And, they don't realize the Kuroshio current (Pacific version of the Gulf Stream) gathers heat and moisture from the ocean waters around Japan and carries them up to you, so you are not nearly as cold as places like Fairbanks or even Anchorage, which is what people picture.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:31 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
You keep saying "Southeast Alaska" but I don't think many people realize how far SE you mean. You are in more of a Seattle, Vancouver and British Columbia environment.

And, they don't realize the Kuroshio current (Pacific version of the Gulf Stream) gathers heat and moisture from the ocean waters around Japan and carries them up to you, so you are not nearly as cold as places like Fairbanks or even Anchorage, which is what people picture.
Just a lot wetter than the rest of the state, and most of the world. It's a very rainy area.

Old 02-04-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Just a lot wetter than the rest of the state, and most of the world. It's a very rainy area.
Ketchikan averages 160 inches of rain per year. That is what makes it a temperate rainforest. It also contributes to southeast Alaskas survivability.

Old 02-04-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

Yep, south central Alaska would be the Anchorage and Kenai peninsula area. Southeast Alaska is generally the Alaska panhandle area from Yakutat down to Ketchikan.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:25 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Ketchikan averages 160 inches of rain per year. That is what makes it a temperate rainforest. It also contributes to southeast Alaskas survivability.
It does, helps to have webbed feet though.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
It does, helps to have webbed feet though.
In Alaska we call those XtraTuf’s.

https://www.xtratuf.com/legacy/15-in...ot/22272G.html

Old 02-04-2024, 07:47 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
I thought they were called "Juneau Sneakers".

Old 02-04-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I thought they were called "Juneau Sneakers".
I think it depends on where you live. We called them Ketchikan sneakers.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:52 AM

8,497 posts, read 6,902,842 times
The coming Apocalypse will be electronic and just as destructive as conventional warfare. We have already heard from our government that there is clear evidence that China has the capability to take down our computer grid. Banks, power stations, navigational devices for civilian and military aircraft. No bullets or bombs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness