Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 09:55 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
North Idaho has long been home to those seeking to escape the looming collapse of America. This is a region doused in frontier spirit; a land where people openly carry guns, and where bounty hunters still operate, tracking down fugitives hoping to bolt into Canada. It is here, on rugged fringes stalked by mountain lions, bears and wolves, that the American Redoubt was born.

The Redoubt is both a prophecy and a movement: a pre-emptive response to the anarchy on the horizon. Economic meltdown, nuclear war, the lawlessness that will follow the total defunding of the police — all, its followers warn, could bring an end to American civilisation. And so they have started to prepare. First, by relocating to easily defensible ranches in the wilderness; and second, by stocking up on food, firearms and fuel. While their country teeters on the brink of bedlam, they are building a fortress.
https://unherd.com/2023/11/inside-the-american-redoubt/

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 02:48 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Any opinions?
Stupid is as stupid does.

First, by relocating to easily defensible ranches in the wilderness; and second, by stocking up on food, firearms and fuel. While their country teeters on the brink of bedlam, they are building a fortress.

When their hunting decimates and drives off all the game, I sure hope they have lots of accessible land to grow potatoes.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:11 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
How many planes or drones with bombs can they take on? But hey, if it makes them feel good, let them build a fortress.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:47 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Stupid is as stupid does.

First, by relocating to easily defensible ranches in the wilderness; and second, by stocking up on food, firearms and fuel. While their country teeters on the brink of bedlam, they are building a fortress.

When their hunting decimates and drives off all the game, I sure hope they have lots of accessible land to grow potatoes.

Just so ya know most of these folks are raising their own livestock. It runs the gamut from chickens to rabbits to cows. In the meantime you might wanna update your list of soup kitchens and get comfortable shoes for standing in line.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:30 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It was an interesting read.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:29 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Hmm... along the same lines as these folks did back in the D-A-Y..

https://www.city-data.com/forum/self...d-montana.html

Different sides of the same coin. Good luck to them.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:10 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Just so ya know most of these folks are raising their own livestock. It runs the gamut from chickens to rabbits to cows. In the meantime you might wanna update your list of soup kitchens and get comfortable shoes for standing in line.
Yes, I rarely (don't confuse that with "never") have any use for Mircea's "wisdom."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Hmm... along the same lines as these folks did back in the D-A-Y..

https://www.city-data.com/forum/self...d-montana.html

Different sides of the same coin. Good luck to them.
To some extent, it is the same people, same idea's.

I haven't looked at the article yet, but the redoubt idea began in the 60's and caught on pretty big in the 90's. I read about it, and as a child of the "nuclear cold war" I designed a smaller version (note) of that "apocalypse shelter," myself, back in the late 70's.

My estimated best location was something like 50 miles East of Idaho, and 50 miles South of Canada. (Distances are very approximate.) That was my introduction to building and bunker design.

Note: My design was 30x30 feet, two floors, directly under a two car garage and a small shop, which were at surface level.

Old 11-21-2023, 11:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Opinion: Idaho is quite conservative, which means that things run well and it is a pleasant place to live. However, Idaho is not the rugged fringes and it is not the wilderness, and although there are bears and wolves in the mountains, it is extremely unlikely that a person will have any contact with them unless the person is putting a lot of effort onto hunting them down.

There is every type of store and chain and fast food restaurant you could possibly want. This is not the ends of the earth. There are schools and hospitals and colleges and the internet. We even have paved roads.

In addition, Idaho is an expensive place to live. It is not a low tax state and real estate is quite high. Preppers are not moving here to homestead in the wilderness like Little House on the Prairie. There is a very nice redoubt across the street from me. Only 5 acres, but they are doing a really good job of making the most and best use of it. They paid $1.6 million dollars for it. Idaho is not the place to come to hunt for bargain living.

One thing right about the article, though. Everyone has guns, everyone knows how to use them, and there is a pretty good chance that the folks you pass in the grocery store might be carrying concealed.

And we are not defunding our police, nor will we ever defund our police. We like our police, we support our police, and our police like us, and support us, and laws are enforced with public support and approval.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:09 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
It's smart to "self sort" via political/survival migration to move and live around others who share your values and outlook.

The NW redoubt centered on Idaho isn't the only one. The Ozark redoubt and recently Tennessee(Appalachia) are experiencing a similar phenomenon.

People are actively seeking out others to live near who will be allies not a potential threat.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:37 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It's smart to "self sort" via political/survival migration to move and live around others who share your values and outlook.

The NW redoubt centered on Idaho isn't the only one. The Ozark redoubt and recently Tennessee(Appalachia) are experiencing a similar phenomenon.

People are actively seeking out others to live near who will be allies not a potential threat.
Self sorting is a symptom of realization that our civilization is facing intractable problems, and will eventually collapse. Kinda like moving to the lifeboats. Otherwise, half an hour outside of a medium sized city (40k - 140k) would be ideal.

The redoubt movement began with survivalists, and, as that movement burned out, in the late 80's and early 90's, the Redoubt movement got underway around 1990 (give or take a few years) in,
originally, four or five areas:

1 Great American Redoubt, in the Pacific NorthWest.
(nuclear war survivalists)

2 Southern Appalachia (just because)

3 Cumberland Plateau
(began out of a series of communes)

4 Texas (because, it's Texas)

5, Ozarks, due to plentiful water, Bible Belt, and the terrain.
However, I can't seem to trace the Ozark Redoubt movement to anything before the 21st century, although there was a line in a submarine movie (Destination Tokyo, I think) where an old cook recounted his experience in WW1 Navy, and finding himself on this submarine. He ends his reminisce with "next war, I'm going up into the Ozarks, and hide."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness