Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 01:23 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times

Advertisements

I trust Surefire flashlights and batteries above all other brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 06:12 PM

98 posts, read 61,856 times
I bought I large Swisstech flashlight from Wal-Mart. I think it is a new Wal-Mart brand but I do not know.

It is rated at 6,500 lumens. It was $70. It's great.

Cost to much for a flashlight but it has a rechargeable battery. Plus it comes with another battery holder for I think 9 AA batteries, but the rating for the AA is much lower.

The rechargeable battery is 10,000 mAh, so you can charge your phone around 3 or 4 times, and it's fast at doing that. USB-C for charging.

It claims you can see 180 meters but I think it is shorter than that. It does have wide beam or spot beam.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:19 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Link?

Old 01-12-2024, 05:13 PM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiss-Tec...SABEgLzn_D_BwE

Google can be a friend ... Sometimes

Old 01-13-2024, 02:00 AM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid-Back View Post
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiss-Tec...SABEgLzn_D_BwE

Google can be a friend ... Sometimes
I think I did not notice you gave the brand the first time. Thanks for the link!

Old 01-13-2024, 03:34 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
I bought I large Swisstech flashlight from Wal-Mart. I think it is a new Wal-Mart brand but I do not know.

It is rated at 6,500 lumens. It was $70. It's great.

Cost to much for a flashlight but it has a rechargeable battery. Plus it comes with another battery holder for I think 9 AA batteries, but the rating for the AA is much lower.

The rechargeable battery is 10,000 mAh, so you can charge your phone around 3 or 4 times, and it's fast at doing that. USB-C for charging.

It claims you can see 180 meters but I think it is shorter than that. It does have wide beam or spot beam.
This one seems pretty good. The description was a little fuzzy on the modes.

Double click for flash and press and hold to turn off: that sounds good.

The fuzzy part: am I right that it comes on in low first, then press again for medium and again for high?

Old 01-13-2024, 03:41 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I have a rechargeable LED headlamp that seems to have been designed for cave exploration or similar adventures. It is super bright. In close quarters, I have to aim the bright spot away, because the glare is so intense. But it's fantastic in a large dark volume. Come to think of it, super brightness would make it useful to blind an attacker - or disorient him.

I can't find it on Amazon anymore, so I can't provide a link.
I just picked this up for $10 at Amazoon. It has a nice large battery pack, on the back, so it balances with the headlamp. The numerous lamps remind me of a spider's eyes. The headlamp has two sets of buttons that trigger various combinations of lighting, including red (great for reading star charts at night). It also has a red LED on the battery pack. You can set it up to strobe. Nice touch.
Also comes with a set of clips to mount it on a hard hat.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GFB7HSP/

Old 01-13-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The fuzzy part: am I right that it comes on in low first, then press again for medium and again for high?
Yes, and I hate push buttons. They fail too much. However, low power is enough most of the time. I wish it was cheaper but it isn't.

Old 01-14-2024, 03:26 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Quote:
Yes, and I hate push buttons. They fail too much. However, low power is enough most of the time. I wish it was cheaper but it isn't.
Well, it isn't perfect, but it sounds like the best I have heard of, to date.

I haven't had much problem with buttons. I used flashlights in a hostile environment (tank gunnery range work) for years, and many of them lasted long enough for the paint to wear off of them. I can't say which thing on them failed the most often. Too much grit in the threads of the parts that screwed together was a problem, or water intrusion after the seals died from oil, gasoline and diesel fuel exposure. A couple of them died when the batteries exploded in an oven (190 degrees, in a truck, left out in the Texas sun).

Thankfully I retired from that

Now I just need a couple, very simple lights to keep around the house.
Easy environment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness