Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

First, flashlights. I was thinking of getting more flashlights for my two vehicles because I am shifting between them so frequently. But I found that have enough camp lantern types, waterproof (they float) and a broad beam to be on the ground when changing a tire. So now the buy project is off the table. But as long as the question is out there..............

.................my primary choice for flashlights for the "car" has been as above and the biggest, meanest MAGLIGHT I can get......or if not that, the camping baton flashlight with the grooved (crests and troughs saw tooth) top I got from Wally World. BUT.....what do others recommend?

Then, bailout bags. As mentioned, I am shifting between vehicles so frequently, I left my bailout bag in the other one today. So, maybe I need two, one for each car.

My current one has: water based food like tuna fish, Cliff and other power bars, water purification tablets, binoculars, paracord, first aid, survival emergency blanket, signal mirror, fire starter, knives, can opener, folding shovel, log book, hand held CB radio, weather radio, Garmin GPS, whistles, compass. Keep in mind that things like main water and guns would be carried on me per trip.

So, for a day tripper type backpack to put it all in, what else should I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 12:32 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Small LED lights have improved so much there's just no reason to own the big five-cell mag lights any more.

The little ones are brighter, last longer, and the batteries can be rechargeable.

The one thing that might make sense in a car still is a big hand-held spotlight that will plug into the receptacle formerly known as the cigarette lighter.

Our truck go-box has a first aid kit, road flares, tie downs, toilet paper - stuff to help at an accident or a break down, not to make meals or purify water.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Small LED lights have improved so much there's just no reason to own the big five-cell mag lights any more.

The little ones are brighter, last longer, and the batteries can be rechargeable.

The one thing that might make sense in a car still is a big hand-held spotlight that will plug into the receptacle formerly known as the cigarette lighter.

Our truck go-box has a first aid kit, road flares, tie downs, toilet paper - stuff to help at an accident or a break down, not to make meals or purify water.
Ummm, I think you are missing the point of having a BATON flash light. Like Connor MacLeod with the Halligan bar in the opening fight of "Highlander"...........it's not just a flashlight but also a deadly weapon.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:00 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ummm, I think you are missing the point of having a BATON flash light. Like Connor MacLeod with the Halligan bar in the opening fight of "Highlander"...........it's not just a flashlight but also a deadly weapon.
You have nothing else in your vehicles that could be used as a deadly weapon? Find that hard to believe! OK, a tire iron won't exactly illuminate your assailant before you knock them on the head, but it would fit in a daypack. Besides, aren't you packing already when you leave the house OP?

Old 11-21-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You have nothing else in your vehicles that could be used as a deadly weapon? Find that hard to believe! OK, a tire iron won't exactly illuminate your assailant before you knock them on the head, but it would fit in a daypack. Besides, aren't you packing already when you leave the house OP?
To simply answer the question, this is Texas, you can't have a gun everywhere, so I have alternate weapons and one of them is a baton flashlight....for a reason.

Let us not quibble over the why of it, just that a baton flashlight is required car safety equipment......and move on from there.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:03 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:

Yeah OK - There's better tools for that job.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:34 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Let us not quibble over the why of it, just that a baton flashlight is required car safety equipment......and move on from there.
Maybe for you but they aren't for everyone else. I've kept a simple shake-light or hand crank flashlight in my cars for at least 15 years. They're compact, easy to carry and use. Their "batteries" haven't gone dead yet .

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-21-2023 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-21-2023, 08:23 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

They make big Maglights with LED bulbs. My 3 D cell Maglight last almost 60 hours of burn time before I have to change batteries with it. I can also break a window open with that beast.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:34 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Great topic. I have a flashlight fetish and have tried a bunch of them at all price points. My go-to is the pocket size "Cree" brand. Under ten bucks, takes one AA battery, very bright light. I have at least a dozen of these scattered in different places...home, work, vehicles, bugout. I use rechargeable Eneloop batteries, they are long lasting. Sometimes I'll come across a flashlight I forgot about, and it'll light up even after a year+ sitting out in a cold vehicle.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:08 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:

I switched from a maglight, to an axe handle(minus the head); for the car.
As it has much better reach, for jabbing through windows; and swinging them gives better centrifugal force than a baseball bat.
On the flashlight, might wanna checkout the streamlight wedge; 1000 lumens and fits in pockets without snagging.
https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/wedge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness