Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 07:47 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times

Advertisements

Since you're starting with maps you should see if anybody in your group can create an orthophoto map with a drone. Think of it as being similar to google Earth but with zoomable resolution on steroids. Plus you can use the tools to make accurate estimation of distances and for things like measuring mass and volume (for example you can estimate the volume of a pile of dirt, or if the dirt is gone you could use the hole it came from to estimate the volume of dirt that was removed, with just 3 or 4 clicks). It can also create an interactive 3D modeling of the mapped area with useful information about elevation, elevation changes, etc. I could PM an example of what can be done even with low end equipment. The mapping software can also export KMZ and other files for integration into other mapping / 3D environments.

"An orthophoto map is a document combining the image characteristics of an aerial photograph with the geometric qualities of a map. It removes distortions due to relief displacement, camera lens, and aircraft attitude to show all ground features in their correct ground positions. Unlike an aerial photo, an orthophoto removes the effects of tilt and relief and shows the true, straight paths of features on the ground. An orthophoto map is a photographic map with a uniform scale and can be laid directly over other maps.

Orthophoto maps are used in a variety of applications, including:

Urban planning
Land use planning
Environmental monitoring
Infrastructure management
Construction projects
Archaeology"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 07:00 AM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Since you're starting with maps you should see if anybody in your group can create an orthophoto map with a drone. Think of it as being similar to google Earth but with zoomable resolution on steroids. Plus you can use the tools to make accurate estimation of distances and for things like measuring mass and volume (for example you can estimate the volume of a pile of dirt, or if the dirt is gone you could use the hole it came from to estimate the volume of dirt that was removed, with just 3 or 4 clicks). It can also create an interactive 3D modeling of the mapped area with useful information about elevation, elevation changes, etc. I could PM an example of what can be done even with low end equipment. The mapping software can also export KMZ and other files for integration into other mapping / 3D environments.

"An orthophoto map is a document combining the image characteristics of an aerial photograph with the geometric qualities of a map. It removes distortions due to relief displacement, camera lens, and aircraft attitude to show all ground features in their correct ground positions. Unlike an aerial photo, an orthophoto removes the effects of tilt and relief and shows the true, straight paths of features on the ground. An orthophoto map is a photographic map with a uniform scale and can be laid directly over other maps.

Orthophoto maps are used in a variety of applications, including:

Urban planning
Land use planning
Environmental monitoring
Infrastructure management
Construction projects
Archaeology"
I believe the map guy is a surveyor and has a fence business.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:27 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Just out of curiosity, why now?
Good question. All that fearmonger made me always curious.

Every person/household should have basic supplies and plan of action for possible natural disaster. Good stocked pantry, basic tools, compass, paper maps, first aid kit and medications, important documents and cash, stuff to survive few weeks without electricity and water, learn basic survival skills (make fire, setup a shelter, hunt for edibles).
I would rather try to survive with my family and/or just selected trusted friends (small group) than with a big group of strangers. No backstabbing, no betrayal, easier to make decisions, faster to move from place to place without raising suspicion...
Isn't it the golden rule of survival prepping to not blab about your supplies, gear, and survival skills?

Are you guys preparing for a disaster other than natural? Economic? (hoarding food and other supplies?)

Old 03-30-2024, 03:20 PM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Every person/household should have basic supplies and plan of action for possible natural disaster. Good stocked pantry, basic tools, compass, paper maps, first aid kit and medications, important documents and cash, stuff to survive few weeks without electricity and water, learn basic survival skills (make fire, setup a shelter, hunt for edibles).
I would rather try to survive with my family and/or just selected trusted friends (small group) than with a big group of strangers. No backstabbing, no betrayal, easier to make decisions, faster to move from place to place without raising suspicion...
Isn't it the golden rule of survival prepping to not blab about your supplies, gear, and survival skills?

Are you guys preparing for a disaster other than natural? Economic? (hoarding food and other supplies?)
The "why now" might be the increased traffic from people looking to move to the rural setting. Although my road is still dirt, most of them are now paved. You'd be surprised how a little mud will discourage sight seers.

In addition our co op has lots of older folks/retirees who no longer have the same sense of community.

Just a guess, but with all the families interested, apparently there is a desire to tighten up the community in some way. These folks are not survivalists... they are survivors.

like I said... there's a community within 20 miles who've been doing the same thing for a while now. They're in the next county.

Old 03-30-2024, 04:52 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Actually what is being described was simply called our neighborhood/neighbors back in WV. We all lived in the hills, we all heated with wood or coal, about 8-10 of us got together every winter and butchered hogs, most of us hunted deer and game, most of us gardened and canned, supped together, watched over everyone's kids..

I was a banker and a combat medic and adept at making sausage and cured meats, my neighbor was a paid firefighter/EMT and a contractor on the side (and a good hunter), his wife and my wife were good with the gardens and canning, another neighbor was a plumber, another a brick mason, another a lawyer, another a heavy equipment operator- we all got along and just helped everyone out. We never considered ourselves preppers- just neighbors.

It was nice back then. No one wanted for anything and we'd all pitch in when the need arises.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:25 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
it depends on what you mean by a prepper community, if your just trying to set up some kind of economic group, pooling resources to buy cheaper food and discounted goods rather than a survival community post SHTF.
in a survival situation most groups will be family groups and maybe one or two really trusted friends.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:43 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well it appears many like minded folk in my areaa are creating a 'formal' Prepper Community. We always had an informal one, associated with our co-op, but this one is taking on a organized role. Not sure if any of y'all have done this before, but any suggestions would be appreaciated. We are in the early stages... I mean it's 48 nhrs new.

We're starting with mapping, showing egress and ingress, horse trails, 4 wheeler trails, etc. locations of memebers, choke points and so on.

https://valleyfoodstorage.com/blogs/...ies-in-the-usa
Just a quick question:

How old are you?

If you are 75, I get you might be bored so this is a good day killer for you. But honestly how many years at 75 do you have left. Why waste what time you have left doing something like this?

Old 03-31-2024, 08:18 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Just a quick question:

How old are you?

If you are 75, I get you might be bored so this is a good day killer for you. But honestly how many years at 75 do you have left. Why waste what time you have left doing something like this?
from those comments I assume you are no prepper.
I expect you believe "it will never happen" same as about 99% of the general population, dosent make them right of course.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:28 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I expect you believe "it will never happen" same as about 99% of the general population, dosent make them right of course.
Consider the source. A poster calling himself 'city guy' is not likely off-grid nor self-sufficient.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:29 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I was 100% serious. How many times do you see someone start a project they will never finish?
Sure it could give someone purpose, occupy their time whatever. But honestly in the a true SHTF moment what does a 75 yr old bring to the table?

1. I had a buddy tear apart a running 69 Mustang. It was tired but it was a complete/running car that he intended to restore AND was remodeling his house while working full time. Guess what? Neither got finished.
2. Scroll through craigslist and look at unfinished camper/boat projects for sale or better yet "free" if you come and get it.

Moral of the story: Why start something you won't likely see the benefits of?

So if someone is 70-75+ how much good time do you have left? Reminds me of two old guys named Don and Joe, why would you take on a project that will use up your last few years? The clock is ticking, how do you want to use your time remaining.

Wayne Huizenga was a billionaire. Certainly not interested in more business ventures, already had the mansions/yachts whatever. So he called it QTL/QTR (either quality time left or quality time remaining). He didn't say how many years left, how much quality time left (meaning able bodied, not sitting in a wheel chair wearing diapers sucking lunch through a straw). Wayne lost his wife to cancer and he later died of cancer as well at age 80.

Sure be prepared, but lets not go overboard if you are in the final years of your life. You are wasting good days preparing for something that might never happen in your lifetime. I have also cleaned out a house owned by a 70's prepper. Everything went in the trash in the late 80s. Ready to eat meals (tried one, I'd rather starve), boxes of freeze dried foods, can goods expired by years. As we loaded more stuff headed to the landfill we just kept shaking our heads and saying: "What was he thinking?" The multiples of things was mind boggling, as if he forgot he already had 2-3-4 of those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness