Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 02:33 PM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

Well it appears many like minded folk in my areaa are creating a 'formal' Prepper Community. We always had an informal one, associated with our co-op, but this one is taking on a organized role. Not sure if any of y'all have done this before, but any suggestions would be appreaciated. We are in the early stages... I mean it's 48 nhrs new.

We're starting with mapping, showing egress and ingress, horse trails, 4 wheeler trails, etc. locations of memebers, choke points and so on.

https://valleyfoodstorage.com/blogs/...ies-in-the-usa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 06:29 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well it appears many like minded folk in my areaa are creating a 'formal' Prepper Community. We always had an informal one, associated with our co-op, but this one is taking on a organized role. Not sure if any of y'all have done this before, but any suggestions would be appreaciated. We are in the early stages... I mean it's 48 nhrs new.

We're starting with mapping, showing egress and ingress, horse trails, 4 wheeler trails, etc. locations of memebers, choke points and so on.

https://valleyfoodstorage.com/blogs/...ies-in-the-usa
Put the location f everything down on paper. That’ll help the government find it when they come to confiscate it.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:58 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Put the location f everything down on paper. That’ll help the government find it when they come to confiscate it.
Or better yet, a Facebook group!

A serious prepper will give zero indication of their preparedness level in everyday life. Total gray man/hidden in plain sight type of person. These trucks I see with rifle family decals or related messages strike me as idiotic as well as potentially dangerous.

Basic preparedness should be a part of every family unit, with regard to having food/water/medical in the event of an emergency situation like a natural disaster or, as a recent example, to avoid the frenzied hoarding purchases we witnessed in the early months of Covid.

These elaborate plans of escape routes, retreats, choke points...waste of time. Whatever you're planning for won't happen and what does happen will be something totally unexpected.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:03 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Just out of curiosity, why now?

I don't know anything about starting prepper communities, but it seems to me that any new organization starts with a mission statement and things branch out from there. Without clearly defined objectives any type of organization will be difficult to coalesce. What are the goals/objectives? Values? They will make up your mission statement.

Organizations need structure to function. What is the framework of the organization? (hierarchical, democratic, etc.)

Many objectives require resources. Where do they come from? Does the organization require financial input?

You said said there was a pre-existing co-op. Maybe some of the organizational structure already exists there and can be refined for the new objectives.

You didn't say how many people were in the community, but if you're going to start having meetings it's a good idea to keep Robert's Rules of Order on hand in case you need help from spending 80% of the time talking about 20% of the problems.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:38 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Or better yet, a Facebook group!

A serious prepper will give zero indication of their preparedness level in everyday life. Total gray man/hidden in plain sight type of person. These trucks I see with rifle family decals or related messages strike me as idiotic as well as potentially dangerous.

Basic preparedness should be a part of every family unit, with regard to having food/water/medical in the event of an emergency situation like a natural disaster or, as a recent example, to avoid the frenzied hoarding purchases we witnessed in the early months of Covid.

These elaborate plans of escape routes, retreats, choke points...waste of time. Whatever you're planning for won't happen and what does happen will be something totally unexpected.

Truth.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Just out of curiosity, why now?

I don't know anything about starting prepper communities, but it seems to me that any new organization starts with a mission statement and things branch out from there. Without clearly defined objectives any type of organization will be difficult to coalesce. What are the goals/objectives? Values? They will make up your mission statement.

Organizations need structure to function. What is the framework of the organization? (hierarchical, democratic, etc.)

Many objectives require resources. Where do they come from? Does the organization require financial input?

You said said there was a pre-existing co-op. Maybe some of the organizational structure already exists there and can be refined for the new objectives.

You didn't say how many people were in the community, but if you're going to start having meetings it's a good idea to keep Robert's Rules of Order on hand in case you need help from spending 80% of the time talking about 20% of the problems.
It was 48 hours into the making at the time of my post. So far 103 people have signed up in those 48 hrs. We are noting their skill sets beyond their agricultural skills. We already have a dentist, a doctor, lawyer, irrigation/plumber, food processor/butcher, electricians, farier, paramendic (my son) retired phone company/communication, nurse, vet, and lots of farmers/growers. We're an area that is mostly/primarily cattle and citrus with some organic growers and ornamentals. Lots of horse people who have small 'gentleman farms', but are working at a profession or retired (like me).

The initial plan is to create a detailed map of the area.The idea is to have a meeting and select points of contact and areas withing the boundraies , since it's a very rural area and is mostly open pasture/range and agriculture.

For instance my area is on a radial dirt road that dead ends, and is not connected to any other area, besides horse trails. My property is at the end of the road and is connected to a WMA which is 21000 acres. Each area will have a person who will be the main contact and will communicate with other residents who reside in a specific area. We also have some residential ag workers who want to join as well. Most of them live in trailers.

Nothing else at this time since it's in it's infancy. Our neighboring community about 20 miles away already has an established prepper community. We are talking with them as well to see how that's going.

This is not a survivalist community... it's a prepper community. Most of us already belong to the ag co-op and may use the trucking terminal for a meeting. If anyone has some some experince in doing a prepper community, please add and for those who are just beachin' please just move along... nothing to see here.

I'll give an update as we move along.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 03-29-2024 at 08:33 AM..

Old 03-29-2024, 09:02 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
We're starting with mapping, showing egress and ingress, horse trails, 4 wheeler trails, etc. locations of members, choke points and so on.
My goodness...you are a trusting soul!

I was going to suggest that you use an assumed name, and a false address, but I see that you have boldly forged ahead.

To anyone else reading this, "community" in this regard should be limited to near neighbors known for years, trusted family, and co-workers or friends that are well- known for a long time. Keep the circle tight, no more than 8-10 persons, and once established, no newcomers. Yes, a prepper community CAN work, but even if the gubmint isn't involved, beware of those who would someday steal from you.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
So far 103 people have signed up
The first rule of preparedness (as it's being discussed) is OPSEC.
Probably the second rule as well.

That's far too many people to trust with your 'survival', if it ever comes down to that. Like the last poster commented, one or more of these not-well-known members of your group will likely end acting against you someday, should things go south.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
The first rule of preparedness (as it's being discussed) is OPSEC.
Probably the second rule as well.

That's far too many people to trust with your 'survival', if it ever comes down to that. Like the last poster commented, one or more of these not-well-known members of your group will likely end acting against you someday, should things go south.
Did you see where I said it's not a survival group and we are mostly part of a agricultural co-op already? We know each other fairly well.... not soically but through the co op. Our kids did 4H and FFA together.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Did you see where I said it's not a survival group and we are mostly part of a agricultural co-op already?
Then what was your original post all about? The link you posted specifically detailed the purpose of "prepper" communities, and is titled Creating a Survival Community | The Value of a Prepper Community.

"This is not a survivalist community... it's a prepper community."
They are one and the same. What are you prepping for, if not for survival during hard times or disaster situations? I'm not being rude, but genuinely curious. Mapping out all the roads and properties and who has what just for fun?

Last edited by heavymind; 03-29-2024 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness