Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 02:44 AM

19,018 posts, read 14,191,607 times

Advertisements

Good luck with that project.

Americans need to find a way to team up, find convivial and compatible compatriots to form cooperative communities, and build fortified disaster resistant villages. It’s that simple. Which is also near impossible, because our culture is fractured and lacking any cohesive philosophy to smooth over differences. We're jaded, cynical, unwilling to lead, nor trusting the leadership of anyone else. We're socialized hermits, seeking to "Get away from everyone else."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 03:30 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

Americans need to find a way to team up, find convivial and compatible compatriots to form cooperative communities, and build fortified disaster resistant villages. It’s that simple. Which is also near impossible, because our culture is fractured and lacking any cohesive philosophy to smooth over differences. We're jaded, cynical, unwilling to lead, nor trusting the leadership of anyone else. We're socialized hermits, seeking to "Get away from everyone else."
same on this side of the pond, most people are stupid when it comes to prepping and survival, we have just had a new wildlife programme on tv and people are complaining about -in this case- a pack of Hyenas killing a buffalo and the amount of blood, and a Coyote eating a Rabbits head, dont they know wild animals cant go to a supermarket? with an attitude like that many will not survive SHTF and dont deserve to.

Last edited by bigpaul; 04-01-2024 at 04:28 AM..

Old 04-01-2024, 08:30 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Dave_n_Tenn what exactly is for non-human consumption? I have a suspicion that you have a few parentheses and asterisks running around loose.
Well... if the product (like raw milk and farm fresh eggs) are sold without FDA oversight it has to be sold as "not for human consumption". I eat a lot of fresh eggs of various fowl...quail, duck and chickens. I get my meat and dairy from local people... mostly. When the farmers market sells farm fresh it has to labeled as such.

Does that make sense?

Old 04-01-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Cool, now we know there's a 'prepper community' in the Hobe Sound area in Florida with established food production and horses, among other things. Added to the list of places to plunder in case things collapse and shortages come into play. You never know what people might remember or think of in times of desperation, and you just made it easier for them.
It's no secret, but the community in question isn't there. That's the RETAIL farmers market location.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Absolutely true. Clearly you see that right here on these boards. People can be such a-holes.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:10 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well... if the product (like raw milk and farm fresh eggs) are sold without FDA oversight it has to be sold as "not for human consumption". I eat a lot of fresh eggs of various fowl...quail, duck and chickens. I get my meat and dairy from local people... mostly. When the farmers market sells farm fresh it has to labeled as such.

Does that make sense?
Back in WV we would buy our hogs from a Mennonite farm which also has a retail outlet (Horsts Meats). Because they were USDA inspected even our whole hogs we butchered ourselves had to have the USDA stamp (you can see it in my previous photo). The hogs we get now in Montana are from a Hutterite farm and processed local by a guy that does wild game, beef, lamb and hog butchering (custom). Since he is not USDA certified the wrapping is stamped 'not for resale'.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:20 AM

19,018 posts, read 14,191,607 times
The world is divided into people who have Creator endowed rights and the people who want to take them away.
That should be enough common cause to unite the victims in opposition to the takers.
Which explains the deliberate fracturing of society, to dissolve that union.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
The world is divided into people who have Creator endowed rights and the people who want to take them away.
That should be enough common cause to unite the victims in opposition to the takers.
No community ever begins as a completed assembly of people... it must develop, weed out the chaff, have value and benefit the individuals... and provide some sense security. In fact, our neighboring community recruited some individuals. I never even considered that.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:16 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
I agree with this.
Probably is the major reason, mankind is constantly at war.

Quote:
There are contributors, as well as victims and takers.

Quote:
Right now, as with any Marxist takeover, the successful takers are using propaganda to make other takers (which, they pretend, are victims) go to war with the contributors.

The key to a successful community is to inoculate it, from the beginning, against takers.
I know of at least one community that has done that, successfully.
(Actually, I think I know of two.)

Old 04-03-2024, 08:18 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
No community ever begins as a completed assembly of people... it must develop, weed out the chaff, have value and benefit the individuals... and provide some sense security. In fact, our neighboring community recruited some individuals. I never even considered that.
You need a constitution and by laws to weed out the chaff.
They don't really have to be written, but they need to be agreed on.
(If you plan to maintain 100 members, they probably should be written.)

This might be a good starting point, although I think "Federation" might be a better model,
and I think the Core Principles listed in the article are misguided.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intent...ity#Governance
(But, it is food for thought.)

Last edited by TRex2; 04-03-2024 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness