Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 11:58 AM

123 posts, read 86,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
So far I really like the retractable baton.

Seems like a good weapon to actually inflict lots of pain and make a person retreat / run.

Looking around it seems that many of the better ones are over $100 - $200.

Since this is mainly for keeping at home, maybe I can make a DIY baton?

Something that is one piece and sturdy and can be kept in a few rooms.

I'm assuming I can just use some thick rolled steel? Then maybe fashion a comfortable handle around it.

26" sounds about the right length for an all around baton?

Or, just buy a solid, longer, old style crow bar with one essentially straight prying end, and one curved end for pulling nails. Essentially the shape and length of a typical cane. But MUCH heavier and sturdier, and very easy to hold by the curved end. I've got one about 36" overall length, with about a 5" curved claw on one end, and made from about 1" octagonal solid steel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 12:19 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,081,538 times
^^Also good to have in a vehicle for self defense. It might be questionable to keep a katana or machete in your car near the driver's seat. A crow bar or tire iron, not so much. "Hidden in plain sight"

Old 04-27-2024, 12:22 PM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Bear spray. 2 large capacity ones and double spray them like cockroaches that they are.
ding best answer besides a glock 9mm.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:36 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,290,087 times
I still have my daddy's 'tire knocker', a baseball bat whose end was drilled out and filled with lead. He was a forest ranger who frequently traveled alone to remote areas. Never used it, never want to use it. I keep it in my car.

At home, I have a dog that has large, white teeth and barks a lot. And, yes, I am armed to the extent state law allows.

Even at my age, if frightened, I can put on some serious speed. I would rather run than stand my ground. But, it all depends on the circumstances.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:21 PM

1,048 posts, read 579,820 times
Get a gun and keep it near if you're worried about this. But the best options is to live someplace where that sort of thing is not happening. It doesn't happen most places. But still, just buy a gun if you're worried. You can get a license probably, and if you can't, it's easy to buy one at a gun show or from an individual. Nothing works faster or more reliably than a gun.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:03 AM

81 posts, read 58,664 times
I just finished reading every comment on this thread. I got some random thoughts:

-Keeping some kind of weapon by your front door…why would you want to do that? Most doors can be kicked in rather easily. Assuming you are awake and near your front door, it would still be a dubious proposition at best to run toward the front door (where the threat is coming from) to retrieve a weapon. Never mind if you are asleep in your room when the intrusion happens. If you have a weapon for home defense, keep it in a place where you can retrieve it quickly and safely.

-Baseball bat: seems like a bad idea. First of all you need plenty of space to swing one. Second, I’m going to guess that unless you have a very powerful swing and you strike the head, you won’t disable the attacker, especially if he is drugged. There’s a pretty good chance that your attacker would use his arms to shield himself from the bat. Sure, he might end up with a broken arm but if he’s drugged he won’t even notice it.

-Katana: like with a baseball bat, you need space. However, it would inflict much more damage. You can also stab with a katana, which you can’t with a bat.

-Shotgun: I have hearing damage (permanent tinnitus) so I try to be very careful with loud noises. I have fired a 12 gauge shotgun many times, outside, with hearing protection. They are extremely loud. I cannot even image the kind of damage it would cause to my ears to fire one indoors without hearing protection.

-Dog: I have one. I think my dog would be very useful as an alarm to wake me up even before the intruder has kicked the door, but I am very skeptical that my dog would actually attack the intruder. She is very protective and distrusting of strangers, but also she’s a wuss in the right circumstances. So I really don’t know how she would react to somebody kicking the door in and stepping inside.

Out of all the non-firearm options, pepper spray with a good range seems probably like the most feasible. But you have to practice. However you decide to protect yourself, PRACTICE.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:31 AM

37,522 posts, read 61,561,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorcarajo View Post
I just finished reading every comment on this thread. I got some random thoughts:

-Keeping some kind of weapon by your front door…why would you want to do that?
Do you anticipate the intruder kicking in your front door without first knocking?

You will have ample time to be at your door before they begin kicking it.

I have done this many times with livestock [goats and pigs]. A cattleprod in hand works great.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...y-prod-1019770

Old 05-12-2024, 08:50 AM

10,793 posts, read 5,733,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Do you anticipate the intruder kicking in your front door without first knocking?

You will have ample time to be at your door before they begin kicking it.

I have done this many times with livestock [goats and pigs]. A cattleprod in hand works great.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...y-prod-1019770
You didn’t read the OP, did you?

Old 05-12-2024, 09:10 AM

37,522 posts, read 61,561,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You didn’t read the OP, did you?
I read it when we first began commenting here. After a few pages of discussion I feel it has changed though.

A cattleprod is not going to knock down five attackers at once, but neither will a ballbat.

Realistically if five men pounce on your front door with no warning and no warmup, you have already lost the game. Just as when a swat team comes in through your doors and windows all at once and shoots every lump on your bed or couch.

Old 05-12-2024, 09:51 AM

4,265 posts, read 3,190,239 times
There are a lot of suggestions here....some good, some not practical. Bear spray WILL incapacitate a person....in fact, multiple persons and it has pretty good range. It will put a serious hurt on you. That said, in my case I have a dog (KNPV Dutch Shepherd)....a dog that will defend as she has been trained as such. However, 95% of the dogs WILL NOT defend....most, even breeds like GSD, Malinois, Cane Corso, Doberman, Rotties WILL back down. Also keep in mind that a real protection dog is a definite liability in many ways. What a dog will do for you is give you an opportunity to flee and in most cases that is better than confrontation. Don't want a dog? Put a large dog bowl where it can be readily observed. Bats and items as such can and will be taken away from you when there are multiple intruders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness