Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long could you survive in a SHTF circumstance?
1 year 6 42.86%
2 years 3 21.43%
3 years 0 0%
4 years 0 0%
5 years 1 7.14%
6 years 0 0%
7 years 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I wish people would stop responding to these 1 post bots harvesting information from actual humans, there's an agenda behind it. Ten bucks says we never hear from HobbyHomesteader again.
You owe me $10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 09:23 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,798,494 times
Until the neighborhood cafe ran out of meals.

Old 04-27-2024, 01:08 AM

5,409 posts, read 3,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee View Post
Where do you get there is one single point? Interesting conclusion derived with no information to back it up
I dont prep for any specific event, I prepare for what comes after which will be Societal collapse.

Old 04-27-2024, 04:18 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyHomesteader View Post
You owe me $10
Greenbacks will be worthless. Use trade goods, gold dust, nuggets.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:33 AM

1,812 posts, read 902,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Greenbacks will be worthless. Use trade goods, gold dust, nuggets.
Add to that hammers, nails, saws, tarps, water buckets, etc.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:25 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I have seen many articles that support the idea that many Americans need prescription drugs to survive. Once the flow of pharmacy products stops these masses will begin dying, and the die-off will be huge.

Not from the lack of food, but from uncontrolled heart disease, BP, and loss of dialysis machines.

There will most certainly be pain and weight loss, once the flow of junk food stops.

Anyone who lives a lifestyle that is independent of the power grid, who produces their own food, and who is reasonably armed, will be just fine.

As we saw during the plannedemic, people today have multiple comorbidities. Multiple diseases that are each capable of killing them, but for now are generally 'treated' with meds [not cured, not fixed, but rather held in stasis by these meds]. If anything upsets the apple cart, then these comorbidities will kill them.

Old 04-27-2024, 12:03 PM

125 posts, read 83,786 times
Perhaps a more useful poll would be- 1 week, 4 weeks, 3 months, 6 months...

Most people couldn't make it a full week due to an in-home catastrophe, such as broken water pipe, or house fire. Much less a regional event such as tornado, flood, blizzard.

If you can't handle the small stuff, you are just part of the problem...

Old 04-27-2024, 12:15 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
Most people couldn't make it a full week due to an in-home catastrophe, such as broken water pipe, or house fire. Much less a regional event such as tornado, flood, blizzard.
...or if the internet/cell network ceased to function. A few years ago Facebook went down for several hours and people were actually calling 911 to report it and to find out when it would be back up.
https://money.cnn.com/2014/08/04/new...911/index.html

Old 04-27-2024, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have seen many articles that support the idea that many Americans need prescription drugs to survive. Once the flow of pharmacy products stops these masses will begin dying, and the die-off will be huge.

Not from the lack of food, but from uncontrolled heart disease, BP, and loss of dialysis machines.

There will most certainly be pain and weight loss, once the flow of junk food stops.

Anyone who lives a lifestyle that is independent of the power grid, who produces their own food, and who is reasonably armed, will be just fine.

As we saw during the plannedemic, people today have multiple comorbidities. Multiple diseases that are each capable of killing them, but for now are generally 'treated' with meds [not cured, not fixed, but rather held in stasis by these meds]. If anything upsets the apple cart, then these comorbidities will kill them.

That was a very valid point , those without medication will really be messed up without it.

I have medicine dating back to the 1990's. Everything from when ADD was popular so I tried different meds to hospice meds i refused to give back for this very reason. Not sure it will apply but since meds are in small jars, it doesn't take up much space. I should probably assume they are weaker but some might be more potent

Old 04-27-2024, 02:25 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,277,779 times
Unfortunately, most meds expire after two to three years. Storing them in a dry place will extend their life. Heat, humidity, and light will affect the potency of the drugs.

I was told that there are a few drugs in pill form that would still be potent up to 15 years, if the package is not opened, if the package was not exposed to heat or cold. I don't know which drugs, except that one of them was Tylenol, and one was not aspirin. I guess you would need to look each one up. My thyroid medicine is good for 24 months.

I got my prescription refilled as soon as my insurance allowed, and I saved the extra pills. I now have enough for the 24-month period. I rotate them so none go beyond expiration.

Fortunately, that is my only med. Now that you brought this up, I will look at my medical supplies and check the expiration dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness