Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long could you survive in a SHTF circumstance?
1 year 10 52.63%
2 years 3 15.79%
3 years 0 0%
4 years 0 0%
5 years 1 5.26%
6 years 0 0%
7 years 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 02:12 PM

8,991 posts, read 4,674,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I agree with most of this well-written post, but to the highlight - a lone homesteader, or a couple, regardless of how well armed they are, will succumb pretty quickly to even a small number of people intent on taking your stuff. Two people just don’t constitute enough trigger pullers to stop a couple of fire and maneuver elements moving on your position.
Well said, but that is where "community" or "buddies" (depending on whether you are looking at the list of B's' or the list of C's ) comes in.

While most of the conversation, here, revolves around what the individual does (name of subforum is "Self Sufficiency"), most serious preppers know that the castle isn't guarded at the gate, alone, and the homestead isn't guarded from the mailbox. (I didn't coin that, by the way).

Now and then, the subject of Radio Nets comes up. (Like the CH-3 Net)
For good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 02:20 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Quote:
I agree with most of this well-written post, but to the highlight - a lone homesteader, or a couple, regardless of how well armed they are, will succumb pretty quickly to even a small number of people intent on taking your stuff. Two people just don’t constitute enough trigger pullers to stop a couple of fire and maneuver elements moving on your position.
A squad of armed and armored fighters [without R.O.E.] will take out any group of untrained, unarmed civilians in nearly all circumstances. Everyone who has seen the carnage Hamas did should know that.

However once the grid is down and petroleum fuel is exhausted, everyone will be on foot, and I think that raids of that nature will be rare.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:59 PM

8,991 posts, read 4,674,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
However once the grid is down and petroleum fuel is exhausted, everyone will be on foot, and I think that raids of that nature will be rare.
Especially in your neck of the woods

Old 04-28-2024, 03:46 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Especially in your neck of the woods
In my area, folks are more accustomed to the power grid being down, and subsistence farming is not unusual.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:16 PM

10,778 posts, read 5,694,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A squad of armed and armored fighters [without R.O.E.] will take out any group of untrained, unarmed civilians in nearly all circumstances. Everyone who has seen the carnage Hamas did should know that.

No fuel nor armor will be necessary. 4-6 armed and hungry people, with any military experience at all (or just having thought through the situation) will outmaneuver and overrun one or two people in a homestead. Easily.

Not sure why you think it will be rare. Hungry people will be very motivated once their own supplies run out.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:45 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,033,250 times
Quote:
No fuel nor armor will be necessary. 4-6 armed and hungry people, with any military experience at all (or just having thought through the situation) will outmaneuver and overrun one or two people in a homestead. Easily.
Agreed. While Cormac McCarthy's The Road is a work of fiction, it's also pretty realistic.
Bands of marauders/pillagers will stop at nothing to gain access to food and supplies.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:45 PM

16 posts, read 1,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Unfortunately, most meds expire after two to three years. Storing them in a dry place will extend their life. Heat, humidity, and light will affect the potency of the drugs.

I was told that there are a few drugs in pill form that would still be potent up to 15 years, if the package is not opened, if the package was not exposed to heat or cold. I don't know which drugs, except that one of them was Tylenol, and one was not aspirin. I guess you would need to look each one up. My thyroid medicine is good for 24 months.

I got my prescription refilled as soon as my insurance allowed, and I saved the extra pills. I now have enough for the 24-month period. I rotate them so none go beyond expiration.

Fortunately, that is my only med. Now that you brought this up, I will look at my medical supplies and check the expiration dates.
Thank you this was very helpful

Old 04-28-2024, 08:45 PM

750 posts, read 406,473 times
less than 1 year.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:10 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,906,637 times
Probably I wouldn't last too long, as I'm elderly, disabled, on my own, and have no money to buy any of the SHTF stuff that I'd need in case that happened. I'm always a day late and a dollar short, plus I have no real skills to offer anyone in exchange for survival help. I hate cooking, I can't sew, and I'm too old and ugly for sex. And I despise kids.

However, I seem to have developed into quite a survivor over my lifetime and that, plus the fact that I wouldn't want to live in a time after the SHTF, means I would probably last quite a while. It would be the universe's way of having one last joke at my expense.

Old 04-28-2024, 09:14 PM

427 posts, read 975,044 times
How long can you last without fuel? Really, we are all dependent on electricity, coal, natural gas, propane or gasoline. When your fuel runs out you are out of luck. If you own your own little forest, can hand cut trees and split wood by hand you might do OK. Oh, and you will have to be able to defend what you have, looting is going to be rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness