Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long could you survive in a SHTF circumstance?
1 year 7 43.75%
2 years 3 18.75%
3 years 0 0%
4 years 0 0%
5 years 1 6.25%
6 years 0 0%
7 years 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 06:13 PM

125 posts, read 84,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post

I got my prescription refilled as soon as my insurance allowed, and I saved the extra pills. I now have enough for the 24-month period. I rotate them so none go beyond expiration.

Fortunately, that is my only med. Now that you brought this up, I will look at my medical supplies and check the expiration dates.

It also helps for the short term if you are on regular maintenance drugs, to get the mail order 90 day supplies that most insurance will cover, an re-order on auto-fill or as soon as they are available for re-order.

While checking expiration dates, also check expiration dates on other supplies, particularly latex or nitrile gloves, N-95 masks, store bought water, and other disposables. The gloves and masks physically deteriorate and literally fall apart after a few short years...much to my surprise when they suddenly became so fashionable a couple years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 08:21 PM

62 posts, read 15,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I dont prep for any specific event, I prepare for what comes after which will be Societal collapse.
I didn't say that you prepped for a single event, nor do I care.

I was responding to your assumption there was a single point being made regarding the OP and how you wanted to know what that was. That was an assumption not based in the OP

Old 04-27-2024, 08:52 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,029,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have seen many articles that support the idea that many Americans need prescription drugs to survive. Once the flow of pharmacy products stops these masses will begin dying, and the die-off will be huge.

Not from the lack of food, but from uncontrolled heart disease, BP, and loss of dialysis machines.
Survival of the fittest. Nothing shocking there.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:01 AM

2,677 posts, read 1,194,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Wouldn't it depend on which SHTF?
Yes it would for the most part. A catastrophic flood, tornado, fire and I include the rare volcano eruptions could wipe out everything including the money paid for prepping we would never get back.

Not saying it's wrong to prepare. Just that extreme prepping can end up being destroyed by catastrophic weather. No one can be 100% prepared in certain circumstances.

Last edited by staystill; 04-28-2024 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-28-2024, 08:11 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,278,803 times
Based on my experience in Hurricane Camille and Hurricane Katrina, the most important tool in a disaster is mental preparedness. To be willing to accept what has happened and take measures to survive. Moaning and wailing about the situation just doesn't work. Having a plan, and carrying out that plan, will work.

My mother's attitude after Hurricane Katrina was a perfect example. She looked at our devastated backyard and said she never liked the landscaping anyway and at least the house was intact.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:20 AM

8,949 posts, read 4,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
Perhaps a more useful poll would be- 1 week, 4 weeks, 3 months, 6 months...
Most people couldn't make it a full week ...
I was thinking the same thing, but then read the OP's post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyHomesteader View Post
A fun Poll.
OK, fun poll: I am overthinking it.

Otherwise, yes, Beachbum's scale is mathematically more sound.
(Yep, I am overthinking, again.)

BTW: I marked 1 year, but right now, I think 3 to 6 months would be more plausible.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I wish people would stop responding to these 1 post bots harvesting information from actual humans, there's an agenda behind it. Ten bucks says we never hear from HobbyHomesteader again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyHomesteader View Post
You owe me $10
Historically, posts from those with a low post count are untrustworthy.

That would be almost always, but, not always.
Everyone here had a low post count when we first started.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Wouldn't it depend on which SHTF?
You do have a point.
Some SHTF scenarios require somewhat different preps.

Someone like BigPaul is prepped for SHTF in general, since he is prepped for social breakdown, but if the air is polluted by a major volcanic event, he may have to get real creative to survive the initial weeks.

Not saying he couldn't, I suspect he is really resourceful, but others who prep the same way may not be.

For instance I am prepped for an extended period (years) of serious supply disruptions, other disasters may not be so easy for me.
(which is why I said 3 to 6 months)

Old 04-28-2024, 10:15 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,029,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Historically, posts from those with a low post count are untrustworthy.

That would be almost always, but, not always.
Everyone here had a low post count when we first started.
True, but most of us didn't start with with a first post of three words, including a typo. It's bizarre and I see it around different forums, always asking these random questions and then usually never participating. Feels like they're just harvesting human responses.

Old 04-28-2024, 12:00 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,691,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have seen many articles that support the idea that many Americans need prescription drugs to survive. Once the flow of pharmacy products stops these masses will begin dying, and the die-off will be huge.

Not from the lack of food, but from uncontrolled heart disease, BP, and loss of dialysis machines.

There will most certainly be pain and weight loss, once the flow of junk food stops.

Anyone who lives a lifestyle that is independent of the power grid, who produces their own food, and who is reasonably armed, will be just fine.

As we saw during the plannedemic, people today have multiple comorbidities. Multiple diseases that are each capable of killing them, but for now are generally 'treated' with meds [not cured, not fixed, but rather held in stasis by these meds]. If anything upsets the apple cart, then these comorbidities will kill them.
I agree with most of this well-written post, but to the highlight - a lone homesteader, or a couple, regardless of how well armed they are, will succumb pretty quickly to even a small number of people intent on taking your stuff. Two people just don’t constitute enough trigger pullers to stop a couple of fire and maneuver elements moving on your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness