Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 05:20 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichick101 View Post
Thanks everyone for all your helpful responses !!!! We made the move and boy am I happy !! WE LOVE IT!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,494,737 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all your helpful responses !!!! We made the move and boy am I happy !! WE LOVE IT!!!
cool!

Old 01-17-2021, 07:19 AM

111 posts, read 95,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
Nothing east of the Mississippi is better than Sioux Falls.

Sioux Falls is better than Des Moines. Sioux Falls is better than Minneapolis.

It is not as good as Fargo. Of course it is prettier than Fargo and not quite as cold.

Wife loves her home in Texas. She would sell it and move to Sioux Falls if I could get transferred back there.

Cheers
Qazulight
What makes fargo so great, anyway?

Old 02-19-2021, 10:17 AM

273 posts, read 102,952 times
I stumbled upon this thread because I'm interested in South Dakota in general since it seems like an appealing place to live.

Lichick101 asked what I thought was a reasonable question based on her concern for her safety and the safety of her family. At no time, did I find her trying to be overly critical of SF. She was simply asking those familiar with SF whether of not the online statistics match the reality of SF.

Some of you offered helpful information such as the Indian reservations skewing statistics for all of South Dakota. However, others took shots at her for even asking her question. Someone even said that somehow she didn't have a right to ask questions because she is from New Jersey!

Throughout the string of obnoxious replies, she retained her composure and remained far more gracious than I would have been.

Seems to me that she and her family would be a good addition to someplace like SF and that some of the other posters with chips on their shoulders would fit right into New Jersey. Why don't you guys just change places?

Last edited by Wayfarerz; 02-19-2021 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-26-2021, 02:50 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
According to the city data crime stats Sioux Falls has 142 rapes/100,000. Not one or two.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...th-Dakota.html

Compare this to Paterson which is one of the worst places in NJ. Its only 56/100,000 for the most recent year listed.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Jersey.html

In a very nice place like Ft.Lee NJ the rate was only 5/100,000 for the most recent year and 0 in many of the previous years.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Jersey.html

Also a recent 2018 article from a local site states that Sioux Falls has a higher crime rate than New York City.

STATISTICS: Sioux Falls, Rapid City violent crime rates higher than NYC's | News | KELO Newstalk 1320 107.9
Not to anger the C-D Gods, but I'm not sure I fully trust the data presented here - check out the "City-Data crime index" on the interactive map for Cook County, IL - does anybody really believe that Cook County, IL has roughly half the crime of say, Dane County, WI? So make sure you double-check data with something like the FBI uniform crime report.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:18 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
That's good to know, I'm looking at SD myself. Let us know what you think after next March, winters can get a little brisk up there. Personally, I like temperatures that are between maybe 45°F and 75°F, with lower levels of humidity, and moderate sun. I wish I could find a site that answers the question, "What region of the U.S. has the most daylight hours for the conditions I described?" - feel free to share. Although, even if it were "Phoenix", I'd probably rule Phoenix out due to the currently-silly housing prices, plus the extreme summer heat.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:20 PM

108 posts, read 118,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Both Long Island and New Jersey are revolting, overpopulated, nasty places full of unpleasant, loud, screechy people. If you enjoy living there, OP, you won't be happy here at all. South Dakota is too clean and spacious and calm and the people are too nice here; you won't be used to it. Don't bother thinking of coming here anymore. Stay on the East Coast.
So if the people are nice there, how would one explain you? Just an outlier?

Old 05-11-2021, 11:04 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarerz View Post
I stumbled upon this thread because I'm interested in South Dakota in general since it seems like an appealing place to live.

Lichick101 asked what I thought was a reasonable question based on her concern for her safety and the safety of her family. At no time, did I find her trying to be overly critical of SF. She was simply asking those familiar with SF whether of not the online statistics match the reality of SF.
Agreed. As someone that was born/raised in South Dakota, and mostly grew up in Sioux Falls, some thoughts here:

*I would generally not view Sioux Falls as an unsafe place or place to be overly-worried about crime, but like any urban area, some neighborhoods are of course going to be more prone to crime than others.
*I do not think it's fair to attribute the high rape statistics to reservation areas, and particularly not to native persons themselves. Any higher incidences of rape in reservation communities likely has as much to do with local white populations as anyone else. On a related note, if you are not familiar with the phenomenon of MMIW in this country, look it up.
*Growing up I knew more than my fair share of persons that were sexually victimized, so the high incidence of rape there never really surprised me. But for most persons I knew, these assaults were typically not random but instead committed by relatives, family friends, or acquaintances at high school/college parties (some reported, others not). Regardless of the circumstances, I think it is a very real issue that South Dakotans need to quit dismissing and start grappling with.
*I tend to believe that rape culture/sexual violence happens when problematic views, language, and violently sexist behavior goes unchecked. This tended to be the norm when I was growing up there, but hopefully things are changing for the better.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:47 AM

72 posts, read 85,649 times
Quote:

Some of you offered helpful information such as the Indian reservations skewing statistics for all of South Dakota. However, others took shots at her for even asking her question. Someone even said that somehow she didn't have a right to ask questions because she is from New Jersey!

Throughout the string of obnoxious replies, she retained her composure and remained far more gracious than I would have been.

Seems to me that she and her family would be a good addition to someplace like SF and that some of the other posters with chips on their shoulders would fit right into New Jersey. Why don't you guys just change places?
This is how people operate here. Overly offended at everything, take snide when there was none to begin with, and any negative remark about a local business, brewery, restaurant, or the town itself will result in being called a "prude" or "rude".

It makes zero sense to me.

Old 07-03-2021, 12:45 AM

4,172 posts, read 2,567,985 times
Quote:

I read every post in this thread, and concur with you completely. Very good post. I also am looking into SD as well as a few other places. I wasn't favorably impressed with the obnoxious replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls