Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,478,610 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info! Very astute...yes, land features are very important to me...not really sure if I could handle land that's flat as a pancake (no offense to southdakotans, I still think it's beautiful!), and windy year 'round. In this area of the NW you can drive one hour +/-east and be on one of the best ski/snowboarding mtns in the country; one hour +/- west to the Pacific Ocean. The area has its perks! I don't want to be house-bound during the winter! But like I said, I've had my fill of large cities, and it's time to move on...

Traveler73, I had thought of visiting the Rapid city area on my way east this summer. As an American history buff, I've been reading a lot about SD and the Black Hills, and the reservations there. A lot of books address the extreme prejudice against Native Americans in that area. Do you still find that to be the case? Anyway, I know I have to go there myself and check it out, but you've offered quite a bit of info about the area in the west ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,089,307 times
SeeBee, I'm not sure what your reading from these books. But "Extreme Predudice" from the People in South Dakota towards Native Americans?????? I think those books were written by somebody that visited once or twice and really didn't understand what was going on completely.

I would highly advise that you visit the Black Hills, you won't regret it. And then travel East through the Reservations and see for yourself. I think you'll get a much different picture then what those books are trying to spew forth.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,723,288 times
History books tell us how Native Americans were isolated from one another and forced to be put on reservations so that their society could die out. Today, Native American culture is embraced throughout South Dakota and especially in all of the museums, galleries, and bookstores in Rapid City. Many Native American artists call South Dakota home. Rapid City and surrounding Black Hills towns like Spearfish, Custer, Hill City, and Hot Springs have a large Native American population. Rapid City's is around 10-12%.

Also, Rapid City is about 45 minutes from Terry Peak and Deer Mountain ski resorts. Can't help you with the ocean though!

Old 02-20-2008, 04:15 PM

193 posts, read 786,765 times
The Missouri River area is beautiful, I think. I don't know why more people don't end up in Pierre, Chamberlain, and Yankton. It's hilly around the river area and there are some trees. If you're looking for small towns with some life to them, I would check out these towns too.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,723,288 times
I agree with nanjos, Chamberlain-Oacoma is a very beautiful area. I have a cousin who recently moved there from Omaha because he fell in love with the area. It is a really nice, clean town.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,412,561 times
We hold our annual family reunion at the Cedar Shores Resort (it actually used to be a Radisson) in Oacoma every year. It's a really scenic area... Tourists love Al's Oasis in Oacoma

Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 AM

9 posts, read 33,794 times
[quote=traveler73;2857369]Sioux Falls and most of eastern SD is a flat as a board with no inspiring land features and it seems that most of the trees were planted by man. It's always windy year round and bitterly cold in winter...You haven't experienced cold until you have spent a winter in Sioux Falls.
quote]

Traveler73, I must disagree with your analysis of eastern SD. "Flat as a board" -- almost, but "no inspiring land features"? The beauty of flat land and few trees makes one appreciate the great land features we do have. And some of us like the wind. I grew up in Garretson, moved to Minneapolis where I lived for many years. Minneapolis beats Sioux Falls any day for cold winters. I moved back to the Garretson area seven years ago because I missed the wide, open spaces, and the wind that blows most every day of the year. I don't need mountains to be inspired. Inspiration to me is a long drive across the prairie with unobstructed views. That is not for everyone, I know.

More on inspiring land features. Sioux Falls itself is home to a great number of beautiful parks with walking and biking trails. Falls Park in downtown Sioux Falls is quite inspiring. In the Sioux Falls vicinity are well-kept nature areas and state parks. Small towns near Sioux Falls boast lovely parks, some with beautiful natural features. The Dells is no Grand Canyon, but the quartzite cliffs, perhaps because they are in the middle of the prairie, are breathtaking.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM

189 posts, read 564,855 times
i suggest spearfish. i did live in rapid. easy trip to rapid from here. bus to and from. a lot of bad weather goes around. jobs avail. i would like to suggest a job in forest ranger office. several throughout hills. not all desk jobs. one in spearfish. beautiful scenery. would be happy to give more info if needed.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,478,610 times
Post Great info...

Hi, and thanks for all responses! I've gotten a lot of information from the COC in Yankton. This summer I plan to take I-90 across SD to Sioux Falls, and then on to visit my sister. I won't, as I've said before, have a whole lot of time to do this, so every bit of info is invaluable to me! Yankton still looks good, flat and all, but I will make sure I get to a few towns around Rapid City. I really look forward to seeing the Black Hills in person! My plan is to avoid large cities!

Sure didn't mean to offend anyone asking about racism towards Native Americans. I enjoy studying US history from the mid-1700's through late 20th century...I realize this was not an entirely stellar time in our domestic history, so just thought I'd ask opinions of people who actually live there.

Pejuta - - forest ranger jobs sound terrific; I'd never even thought of it! I'll try to get more info on the available jobs, but if you have more direct info I'd love to hear it!

Again, thank you all for the ideas...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 AM

189 posts, read 564,855 times
seebee,dm me and i will give you a way to contact me. i just love helping people. i move a lot but at my age (almost 68) i am getting stressed out from so many moves. some good reasons for that . i am a southern gal but have lived in several diff. states. camp too. love outdoor life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota