Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 PM

259 posts, read 851,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
we grill year round, afdude! (Thank you, for being where you are, & doing what you are doing!)
oh yeh so I'm not too crazy then! Thank you for the thanks!!!!

If only I could get my hands on some venison when I get home. That is by far my favorite meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:39 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,493,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdude2018 View Post
oh yeh so I'm not too crazy then! Thank you for the thanks!!!!

If only I could get my hands on some venison when I get home. That is by far my favorite meat.
And which cut of deer do you prefer, dear? I just happen to know....

Old 12-09-2008, 05:15 PM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,115 times
Here is something to try for a little variety.

PIZZA HOAGIE
[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER][/CENTER]
1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
1-6 ounce can of tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
½ cup chopped green olives
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt
garlic powder to taste
(I’ve added sliced ripe olives, chopped green pepper, some parmesan cheese too and if it seems a little dry add an egg)

1 loaf French bread (Wally World’s works great…you want a fairly soft loaf.)

Mix the together. Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise, make the bottom about a ½” thicker than the top. Hollow out some of the bread on the bottom, but leave a good ½” border around the edge and bottom. Tear up the bread you take out and put into the meat mixture. Make an aluminum foil boat to fit around the bottom to prevent over-browning. Put the meat mixture into the hollowed area. Make at 325-350 for 35 minutes. Put on the top slice of bread and bake for additional 15-20. Cut into slices and serve. Served along with a lettuce salad makes a very satisfying meal.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:11 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
Lots of meals with hamburger--- Chili, goulash, spaghetti, you name it. My mom cans her own tomatoes too so I get to make it all homemade and that makes it so much better than store bought. Plus I'm helping out local farmers. If I have some extra money I'll get a roast and make French Dips or I'll get some fish. I absolutely LOVE fish which is strange because everyone else in my family hates it.

During our last blizzard I had no groceries so I ate macaroni and cheese twice a day for three days. I'M BURNED OUT on mac n' cheese! I do have to say, Target makes a really good mac n' cheese called Swift Mac and it tastes even better than Kraft Mac n' Cheese. Just a suggestion.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:47 PM

259 posts, read 851,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
And which cut of deer do you prefer, dear? I just happen to know....
back straps! mmmmmm tasty!

Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
I buy generic brand foods unless if the brand-name food is on sale. Other than that, I make casseroles every now and then. Half of the times, I make up my own recipes. Last time it was getting some tater tots, ground beef, cream of celery soup, and corn and mixing that together. Not the fanciest, but it is good comfort food.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:22 AM

415 posts, read 972,382 times
Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys/gals, some of them sound pretty good. Those Pizza Hoagies sound pretty interesting, the way ya got em done up though I would call them Pizza Boats though LOL. I've had enchiladas before, liked em, just never sure why I never tried to make them, they sound easy enough.

MJ I tried that allrecipes site and some pretty good recipes there but the only thing I didn't like was there was no specific Hamburger section. I know alot of people whose primary staple is hamburger now cuz its (or was) fairly cheap. I found a taco pie recipe on there I may be trying next week.

Danny, I'll have to try that swift mac, I am usually a Kraft only guy when it comes to macacheese, Thats about the only thing I won't skimp on, usually buy generic on everything but the macacheese lol. And French Dips are to Die for.

I'll be making Chili tonite, I got my beans soaking last night and forgot how much they almost triple in size during the soaking ROFL. I put in about 2 lbs of Dry beans in the pot, covered maybe an inch and half of the bottom of the pan and now I got about 7 inches of Beans on the pan. Ohhhhhhhhhhh Lordy thats alot of beans LOL. I used to get the canned beans but have since switched over to the dried beans and then season it myself.

I didn't remember to get my hunting permits this year and forgot all about it with all the stuff going on and getting some things done around the 40 acres so I got SOL on some deer meat this year LOL. Maybe next year. Wife refuses to eat it though (the bambi thing LOLOLOL) so if the economy does crash and we gotta eat what we shoot guess she starves to death LOL.

I got some tortilla Flour last time at walmart too, has anyone ever tried using that stuff to make their own tortillas??? How well does it work??

First thing I wanna get hot on when spring gets here is my one to two acre garden on the 40 acres. So sick and tired of buying stuff I can be growing myself instead. I'm one of them crazy guys that is trying to stock up as much as he can and have about a years worth of food stocked up here and there. One of the few things we haven't done really is canned our own stuff and I wanna learn that and start doing that late next summer. I wanna get the basement redone here in this house and get some good shelves and such put down there for the Canned goods.

One thing I try to watch for is those buyers club specials on meat they got there at safeway. Sometimes its good deals, sometimes its not. Got a pretty good size Pot Roast last week for 5-6 bucks though, I think it was around 5-6 lbs, not too bad I think. Sure wish burger would go back down to a buck a pound though LOL. Not sure how we're gonna do Grocery shopping this month as we usually hit the Wally World in Spearfish but when I was there last week, they had no freezer or meat goods at all cuz of the collapsed roof. They had paper goods in all the Glass door freezers, No eggs at all and about 15-20 tubs of margarine. Milk was still fully stocked but very very little meat or frigerator goods.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,493,535 times
Classic Beef-Barley Soup
  • 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2/3 cup pearl barley
  • 3 to 4 medium carrots, diced
  • 3 ribs celery, diced
  • 1 (28 oz.) can tomatoes
  • 3 1/2 to 4 cups beef broth
  • 2 c. water
  • 1 (10 1/2 oz.) can tomato soup (optional)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 c. minced parsley
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:

Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in skillet; drain well. Transfer meat mixture to slow cooker; add barley and remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high 1 hour then on low 5-6 hours.
Serves 6.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:14 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,585 times
I recently discovered how useful baking bags are for cooking a cheap or tough cut of meat. Just add a packet of Liptons dry onion soup mix to the meat when you put it in the bag. Then bake the meat in your oven, low and slow. Say, 300 degree's or so for about an hour. If you don't have any wild game such as wild turkey, pheasant, venison, or elk, just buy a beef brisket at your local market and cook it up. It is a relatively inexpensive cut of meat and the soup mix makes it very tasty.

uh

Old 12-10-2008, 09:04 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
Speaking of meat, I often like to use the crock pot to have some delicious dinners. I have put some chicken legs or breasts (with bones) in the crock pot to cook for 4-5 hours. Usually, I put the chicken in with a little spice during my lunch break and it comes as very tasty chicken that is very tender after work. Good to have it with noodles, rice, or potatoes with a vegetable like corn, carrots, or peas. I also like to put in a roast and have it sit for similar time length or for 8-9 hours on low. Also, pork loin is good to put in for some tasty sandwiches with barbeque sauce.

The Foreman grill is handy for the basic steaks or pork chops.

With meat, I stock up when there is a sale at Hy-Vee or my local grocery store. Sometimes Sunshine, but I generally shy away from Wal-Mart for meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota