Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times

Advertisements

^It's gorgeous. And while it's almost impossible to time and even tougher to get to, if you can ever see the town during a snowfall I couldn't recommend it more. I think we were the only tourists in town and damn near everything was closed, but it was one of the loveliest things I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If I am headed to this area, it would be specifically FOR the terrain and topography, rather than the human-altered hokum. In fact, my primary destination will be beyond Branson, right into Eureka Springs. It must be absolutely stunning there in a few weeks during peak fall foliage.
Obviously you've never been to either place. But don't let that stop you from being insulting, and very wrong!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Yea, the Ozarks has great topography, it just seems like Branson is sort of away from those areas a bit and doesn't really capitalize much on being in the ozarks and more on the theaters and outlet malls.

But I have only been there a few times, so I will admit, I'm no expert on Branson. I guess I always headed to Colorado when I wanted outdoors stuff. The ozarks is better than much of MO and clearly better than KS, NE, IA etc, but I would rather drive to CO. More to do that interest me.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, the Ozarks has great topography, it just seems like Branson is sort of away from those areas a bit and doesn't really capitalize much on being in the ozarks and more on the theaters and outlet malls.

But I have only been there a few times, so I will admit, I'm no expert on Branson. I guess I always headed to Colorado when I wanted outdoors stuff. The ozarks is better than much of MO and clearly better than KS, NE, IA etc, but I would rather drive to CO. More to do that interest me.
Branson is actually in the HEART of the Ozarks. Bransons whole existence is because of the Ozarks. The Ozarks are Branson, Branson is the Ozarks. I know many people in Branson consider themselves to be Ozarkian over a Missourian, as we have more in common with the surrounding regions of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
The Ozarks have good topography regionaly and good fall foliage but the Northwoods has much more vibrant fall foliage due to the mixture of deciduous and coniferous trees and soil types being different.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 PM

220 posts, read 453,683 times
As already said, everything in Branson is marketed towards old people. Old people are dying off or on fixed incomes so higher gas prices and everything else going on means they aren't getting around much anymore. For the younger crowd you have Silver Dollar city which is extremely overrated in my opinion, and a massive amount of go-karts which get old quickly.

Branson might be in gorgeous country, but if you want outdoors there are a lot better (and cheaper) options, like anything at Lake of the Ozarks, or any southern MO river. A lot funner times for younger people too because of the (lack of) liquor laws.

Branson needs to change their image and their direction if they want to get back on the map.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Obviously you've never been to either place. But don't let that stop you from being insulting, and very wrong!
No, you are right, Curmudgeon, I haven't been to either place, although I've read a lot about both, and my mom visited Branson for a week, and told me much about it. However, this was a bad post on my behalf, and I apologize to you if I offended you. I should visit both places before I comment further. For the record, the closest I've gotten to the area is the Jacks Fork/Current River confluence, and I am not sure if there are comparables when it comes to land cover. But I can't wait to find out!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Ozarks have good topography regionaly and good fall foliage but the Northwoods has much more vibrant fall foliage due to the mixture of deciduous and coniferous trees and soil types being different.
That's helpful; especially as the topic is "Branson."

Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Branson is actually in the HEART of the Ozarks. Bransons whole existence is because of the Ozarks. The Ozarks are Branson, Branson is the Ozarks. I know many people in Branson consider themselves to be Ozarkian over a Missourian, as we have more in common with the surrounding regions of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas.
Yes we do, don't we!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
For the record, the closest I've gotten to the area is the Jacks Fork/Current River confluence, and I am not sure if there are comparables when it comes to land cover. But I can't wait to find out!
It's similar, but different land cover. Both areas are rugged with high relief, but the Branson area has a lot of cedar "glade" type forested landscape and the Current River area has thicker woods with lots of shortleaf pine mixed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area