Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:06 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Aloe Vera is excellent! I take it in the liquid form from time to time. It gets expensive
Thanks Dragonten....How often do you take it....and with or without meals..thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 06:20 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,255,285 times
I know aloe vera is good for the skin but what's the point of taking it orally?

I just take folic acid in case I get preggers. We're not really "trying" per say but we're not "not trying" either if you catch my drift.

I feel great since I started exercising. That's the best "vitamin" one can take, IMO - staying active!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
Default Powdered Aloe Vera

6 FOOT 3 wrote:
Franco .....do you take or have taken Aloe Vera and which form is best to take. I've seen it in the liquid form and also in capsules so any advice and experience in taking this would be great as i've read great things about this medicinal plant....harry !
I was taking a concentrated ( read expensive ) powdered form of it a few years ago, but I haven't taken it recently. After reading this article, I'm thinking about adding back into my regimen.

regards...Franco

Old 08-30-2007, 10:30 PM

72,418 posts, read 18,204,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks Dragonten....How often do you take it....and with or without meals..thanks !
I bought the aloe vera juice by Market America,the same co. for the OPC-3
grape seed extract with that pine bark,and other things in it.
The aloe vera was by itself,any time. but costs a lot of money.
look in the website

Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 PM

38,900 posts, read 22,892,149 times
Anyone who's read my posts, especially in the California forums, knows how much I love Trader Joe's. As you can probably guess, this is where I purchase my daily vitamin supplements. I buy what's called the Pantheon Pack, which is a canister containing a 30-day supply of an assortment of vitamin and mineral tablets in little plastic packets. The packets consist of a sustained B-100 tablet, 4 multiple mineral tablets, a natural Vitamin E capsule, a sustained release Vitamin C tablet and a beta carotene capsule.

Additionally (as if that weren't enough ), I take a daily men's formula multivitamin tablet (2 a day), and additional Vitamin C tablets, usually after dinner.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:54 AM

2 posts, read 9,711 times
I take a vitamin made from mangosteen and do sell it..it brings in a good income

The mangosteen fruit is known for it's healing properties and boosts of energy.

My boss ordered it for his whole office..and I have my pastor on it..he's 75 and loves it!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:27 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
I take Melaluca vitamins (twice a day, one package in the AM and one in the PM). They are supposedly great for you, or atleast that's what I've been told. But they seem to work...(I hope ) They contain most about all the important vitamins and minerals that you need each day, and you can buy them as either "for men" or "for women". Kinda cool...
I used to take Melaluca vitamins too!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 AM

This is what I take:

In the morning I take probiotics, cracked-cell chlorella and Natural Cellular Defense. Once in the while I will put drops of trace minerals in my water in the morning.

Between meals during the day I take Spirulina or Barley Grass.

At night I take CLO.

I no longer take multivitamins especially synthetic/man-made. I only take green powder/fish oil type of vitamins.

My favorite brands? Platinum Health Products for Green products and Blue Ice for CLO.

Also, I try to take coconut oil once in the while.

In the winter, if I feel myself getting sick, I make sure to take amla berry supplements.

Every night I drink green tea concentrate.

Hmmm. I think that's it.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Could it be a mistake, perhaps, I won't deny it... but I don't take any vitamins these days.

I have learned not to trust both the supplement industry and today's medical science regarding these things. I won't cite sources here right now (perhaps later if you would like to see a few), but what was once considered good for you in particular quantities inevitably is considered bad or inconsequential a few years later. Our bodies tend to do pretty well when we eat a moderate variety of foods in moderate quantities while also regularly engaging in exercise.

I've read enough peer reviewed research much less privately funded research reports to see that even when something "conclusive" comes out regarding Folic Acid, Vitamin C, or Ginko, etc, if you really investigate you find out that leaps of logic are sometimes made in the mass media or via the public about how consuming a pill with it inside must be good for you.

I admit, all of that is common sense. What I think is not all that commonly known is that your body isn't designed to process large nor concentrated quantities of vitamins and chemicals in general. When you take supplements not only are you expressing 100% unjustified faith that what is on the label is actually within (No one checks these things - You think lead in kids toys is bad?... well those things have actually been checked, not so for things labled as vitamins or supplements), but aside from that you need to understand that the organs which filter these things from your system (or facilitate movement into it) can be damaged. I'm talking about your kidneys and liver primarily, but most of your body's organs are susceptible to damage.

Sure today's medical science journals or experts might say something like "folic acid" in high quantities is great for pregnant mothers... but if that is really wise, shouldn't you perhaps just eat fresh fruits and vegetables to get it? To get Folic Acid from naturally occuring things in naturally occuring concentrations just seems more wise to me. When your urine is hypercolor orange or yellow or smells different after taking a vitamin, does it occur to anyone else that might not be remotely natural and it might be putting a strain on some part of your system. It's true that almost anything can hurt you, but why pay money and then consume man-made things which no one really knows the long term impact of? I guess I just like to be cautious in this regard.
I happen to mostly agree with you on that one. That's why I am very careful with supplements I take. First they must be food based. Therefore, I don't take synthetic folic acid or any of such kind. I take greens that are actually basically food. I met the owner of the supplement company whose products I buy, my husband went to the fields where he actually grows his wheatgrass/barley organically. I take that stuff very seriously now.

I think that multivitamins like Centrum can actually do more harm then good. First of all the level of absorbancy is low. Just because it says for example 100%vit "A" doesn't mean that actually 100% will absorb, You are lucky if only 10% absorbs. Your body is not suppose to take such high amounts of man-made vitamins at once. Synthetic Iron/vitamin D doesn't absorb practically at all, it gets stored in your liver as toxin and creates all kinds of problems. Last but not least, synthetic vitamins interfer with your absorbtion of nutrients you can from actual foods.

However, the soil is so depleted now. We cannot possibly get all our nutrients from eating veggies/fruits alone anymore. Even in organic form. That's why I'm all for supplementing.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:09 PM

121 posts, read 520,060 times
I take an assortment of vitamins like many others. I usually buy my vitamins and supplements from Puritan's Pride when they have the buy 1 get 2 free special. They have two multivitamins I have tried and bought. 1. Green Source tablets 2. Vita-min(take 2 three times a day). I just recently ran out of my multivitamins so, I went to Costco and bought "Vitalert", yesterday. It claims to convert fats and carbs into energy(take 4 tablets once a day with food), it also claims it packs more vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and antioxidants than any other leading vitmin, so far so good. Also,I have been buying my omega-3 fish oil from Puritan's pride. However, when it ran out I was/am taking, "Nature's Made" fish oil, since it was in my grannys cabinet before she died. Once that runs out (which is soon), I will be taking, "kirkland natural fish oil concentrate", bought it from Costco.

Here's a run down of all the other vitamins and supplements I take (all bought from Puritan's Pride):
Vitamin E 400
Vitamin C-500
Vitamin B-150
Folic Acid 800mcg (uses randomly)
Probiotic Acidophilus
St. Johns Wort
Flaxseed oil (liquid)

I mix these with Gatorade Powder
Creatine Powder
Glutamine Powder
Sci Fit BCAA 5000 Powder (purchased from bodybuilding.com)

Note: I am currently fasting so, I am not taking the powders currently since I have no need to until I get get back to my grueling(grueling for me), exercise regime.

Last edited by GypsySunworshiper; 09-30-2007 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements