Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:33 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,724 times

Advertisements

If so, which brand is best or does it even matter? I've been looking for ways to increase my metabolism & have heard that B-12 vitamins have a low toxicity rate, so it's really hard to overdose on them. I was just planning on taking 1 a day to see if it helps me at all. I would be taking it in addition to my daily multivitamin (One a Day) which has a very low amount of B-12 in it.

Anyone take this or know if it's even worth it to try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:46 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving-to-AZ View Post
If so, which brand is best or does it even matter? I've been looking for ways to increase my metabolism & have heard that B-12 vitamins have a low toxicity rate, so it's really hard to overdose on them. I was just planning on taking 1 a day to see if it helps me at all. I would be taking it in addition to my daily multivitamin (One a Day) which has a very low amount of B-12 in it.

Anyone take this or know if it's even worth it to try?
I take 500mg of B12 and so does my husband, we take it for energy. We take a brand from Walmart, it's called Spring Valley.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:48 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,544 times
I take a B complex. It has alot of the B vitamins. Itt's called "Nature's Valley" and I buy it at my local Albertsons.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I take a B complex. It has alot of the B vitamins. Itt's called "Nature's Valley"
Same here. My PCP advised it. I take beta blockers for an arrhythmia, and betas are notorious for contributing to feeling too tired. I noticed a difference, but be forewarned -- it isn't going to happen overnight. I seem to recall taking the B complex for at least two weeks before I thought I saw a real difference, and then each month, I noticed more improvement.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 AM

617 posts, read 2,072,681 times
Nature's Valley here. I no longer need to take iron for my anemia but I continue to take my B complex.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,471,570 times
It may be a little more complex than that,B vitamins are just one component to a healthy metabolism. Do you exercise enough? That can help boost your metabolism. Some other supplements that help with metabolism are fat burners(safe ones) and seaweed or kelp.

Also the brand does matter,most store brands like WalMart and such are generally not that great quality. It's better to get them from a health food store,they usually have the better brands.

Lastly,One-a-Day believe it or not is not that great either. It's manufactured by the same company that makes Kodak film and contains petrochemicals, they don't absorb well. Sewage companies had found them in people's septic systems because they go right through you without breaking down.
Again,better brands can be found at health food specialty stores.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 AM

249 posts, read 609,749 times
Even better than the brand is the type. Supplemental B-12 does not survive and uptake very well through the human digestive track - especially as we age.

Sub-lingual liquid B-12 is the way to go ... a few drops held under the tongue for about 30 seconds.

There are numerous good distributors of sub-lingual B-12 but one of the best and cheapest is from "NOW". You can buy their products directly from the company online and save about 40 % off the retail cost. Buy so much in $ from them at one time and you even get free shipping.

Now supplements are manufactured by Health Genesis Corp (I believe). They have good quality control and testing of their products. Great brand at a great price (No, I do not work for them ).

Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,139 times
I am getting monthly B 12 shots. It is said that the pills are not well absorbed by the body. I have added the sublingual tablets also. I am definitely better since I started getting the shots ( about 6-8 months ago).

Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,572 times
I buy my B-12 from GNC, i don't trust any retail stores like Wally World and such with vitamins.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I take 500mg of B12 and so does my husband, we take it for energy. We take a brand from Walmart, it's called Spring Valley.
You must mean 500 mcg of B-12.

Sublingual B-12 is good, however, most people don't have a problem with absorbing B-12. Liquid and capsule forms are the best. Sometimes B-vitamins are destroyed or degraded in the tablet making process.

B-vitamins are water soluble. The body uses what it needs and excretes the excess in your urine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements