Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,590 times

Advertisements

One problem I faced with buying multivitamins from health food store is not knowing if the concentration of ingredients is right for any deficiencies that I have.

So being tired of just throwing my money away, I decided to do a little more research and landed on this company that customizes health products based on my genetic mapping.

I highly recommend it! Since no two individuals are the same I didnt want to take the same supplement as everyone else.

I hope you find the information useful. Here's the link to my personal page.

[URL="http://www.mygenewize.com/?ID=SColin"]GeneWize[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,485,316 times
I think any good liquid vitamin/mineral. Better absorption.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:28 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,654,987 times
For me i take the NSI brands of Vitamin-C with Bioflavanoids 3,000 mg, B-Complex 50 mg, Magnesium Citrate 800 mg and Mixed Tocopherols (Vit-E) 800 iu and Berryvin 500 mg which has all the purple polyphenols as i purchase them all from Vitacost.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,706,312 times
Shaklee vitamins are fantastic. They run numerous tests to make sure there vitamins/supplements are free of pesticides/chemichals. Very high quality control. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM

I take a variety of good brands,and also Natures Sunshine...but they're mostly herbs.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 PM

144 posts, read 159,084 times
I heard you don't need a multivitamin until
you reach the age of 50.
I only use fish oil, and vitamin D from Natures Made.
I buy at Costco because of the larger size.
Should i be buying better vitamins like at
Whole Foods?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlabs View Post
I heard you don't need a multivitamin until
you reach the age of 50.
I only use fish oil, and vitamin D from Natures Made.
I buy at Costco because of the larger size.
Should i be buying better vitamins like at
Whole Foods?
It's good to have a multivitamin way before 50 as deficiencies can develop at any age. I've seen kids who drink too much soda cracking their bones left & right.
I'm not sure about the Natures Made brands or Costco,sounds a bit cheapie to me. You want to make sure you're getting something out of them,Whole Foods or small health food stores are usually the better places to get quality stuff.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,023,873 times
I've heard so many different answers to this. I finally went with my former doctors advice. He was a 60+ fitness buff who looked 50, ran marathons, climbed mountains, etc. He told me to take any multi-vitamin b'c they all work the same. Is he right? Who knows. He says he's done it all his life and he's in better shape than most 40 year olds I've known.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I've heard so many different answers to this. I finally went with my former doctors advice. He was a 60+ fitness buff who looked 50, ran marathons, climbed mountains, etc. He told me to take any multi-vitamin b'c they all work the same. Is he right? Who knows. He says he's done it all his life and he's in better shape than most 40 year olds I've known.
He may look good from not just multivitamins but other things he's doing,or he may just have good genetics also. However he sounds a bit ignorant with the blanket statements of 'they're all the same'...that's like saying 'why should I go to that dr. they're all the same'

I know it may sound controversial,but check out a book by Dr.Joel Wallach called 'Dead Doctors Don't Lie',it basically breaks down the holes in doctors thinking and also shows results of testing on multivitamins showing that many of them are petrochemical based and pass right through the body without even being broken down or used.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:51 PM

6 posts, read 11,145 times
Recently, the University of California at Berkley did a long-term (20 year) study of the effectiveness of supplements.

The scientists who conducted this research are the leaders in their field.

Probably the most striking result of the study is that persons who used no nutritional supplementation at all were actually healthier than the persons who used the one capsule a day products made by pharmaceutical companies.

(One-A-Day)
Bayer Schering Pharma AG Headquartered in Leverkusen, Germany

Centrum
Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Headquartered in Madison, NJ)

The persons who used a broad spectrum of high quality naturally sourced nutritional supplements (Shaklee) over a long period of time were much less at risk for disease than non supplement users and the “one capsule a day” users.

The study was published in a peer reviewed scientific journal: see the abstract at: http://www.landmarkstudy.com/

CITATION View the study citation in PubMed,
a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-29-2009 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: No recommendations from members with fewer than 10 posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements