Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,729,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thanks!

Life Extension seems to be a distributor, not a manufacturer. Any particular product that you have a question about?
We use their Multi-nutrient Formula
Vitamin C
Super Booster Soft Gels
Ultra Chromium
DHEA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,814,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Vitamin C
Super Booster Soft Gels
Ultra Chromium
DHEA
It sounds like you're repeating a lot of things, getting way too much of certain things, such as Zinc. And it sounds like you're paying a fortune for the privilege of getting what amounts to nothing more than a multivitamin.

The Mix capsules (which is what I assume you're using) requires you to take 14 per day, according to the website. That means you're getting a 35-day supply of just that *one* bottle of vitamins for $110 (if you're a non-member) and $85 (if you're a member) assuming you buy only one bottle at a time.

That's 3 bucks per day, just one one pill.

The Super Booster Soft Gels are a steal at only $24 on Amazon.com for a 30 day supply, less than a buck each of questionable nutritional value (since everything in the soft gels, is already present in the mix pills).

I have no idea why you're taking DHEA; there is little to no confirmed reason to take it, for anything at all. It's an anabolic steroid naturally produced by the body, and in particular, in the male body. If your adrenal glands, brain, and gonads (assuming you're male and have gonads) are functioning normally, then they are also producing and distributing DHEA normally, and you therefore have no need to supplement it in your body. At all. For any reason, whatsoever.

There is no confirmed medical reason to ever take chromium supplements. Life Extension claims that it used to be considered toxic but no longer is; this is untrue. Your body -secretes- it...this doesn't mean your body requires it as a supplement. It is metal. Your body doesn't need to consume metal. Chromium Picolinate, in particular, has caused chromosomal damage in hamsters.

So basically - again - you're spending a small fortune to ingest things that you either don't need, or can actually harm you if you continue taking it at the recommended doses, combined with the other things you are taking at -their- recommended doses.

I suggest letting your current batch run out, and buying a bottle of store-brand Centrum with Calcium, and add a low dose of vitamin D.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It sounds like you're repeating a lot of things, getting way too much of certain things, such as Zinc. And it sounds like you're paying a fortune for the privilege of getting what amounts to nothing more than a multivitamin.

The Mix capsules (which is what I assume you're using) requires you to take 14 per day, according to the website. That means you're getting a 35-day supply of just that *one* bottle of vitamins for $110 (if you're a non-member) and $85 (if you're a member) assuming you buy only one bottle at a time.

That's 3 bucks per day, just one one pill.

The Super Booster Soft Gels are a steal at only $24 on Amazon.com for a 30 day supply, less than a buck each of questionable nutritional value (since everything in the soft gels, is already present in the mix pills).

I have no idea why you're taking DHEA; there is little to no confirmed reason to take it, for anything at all. It's an anabolic steroid naturally produced by the body, and in particular, in the male body. If your adrenal glands, brain, and gonads (assuming you're male and have gonads) are functioning normally, then they are also producing and distributing DHEA normally, and you therefore have no need to supplement it in your body. At all. For any reason, whatsoever.

There is no confirmed medical reason to ever take chromium supplements. Life Extension claims that it used to be considered toxic but no longer is; this is untrue. Your body -secretes- it...this doesn't mean your body requires it as a supplement. It is metal. Your body doesn't need to consume metal. Chromium Picolinate, in particular, has caused chromosomal damage in hamsters.

So basically - again - you're spending a small fortune to ingest things that you either don't need, or can actually harm you if you continue taking it at the recommended doses, combined with the other things you are taking at -their- recommended doses.

I suggest letting your current batch run out, and buying a bottle of store-brand Centrum with Calcium, and add a low dose of vitamin D.
Thanks Anon. That's a lot to digest I will get back to you after further thought.
I got it figured now. Will follow your recommendation on the Super Booster Soft gels @ Amazon.
The DHEA was recommended for my wife per Doc after he evaluated her blood tests and hormonal levels.
Chromium was recommended for sugar cravings and it has worked. My wife's Doc is a wholistic MD and well respected. It is a temporary thing.

Thanks for your pointers

Last edited by Pawporri; 07-25-2011 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: More Info to add

Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Vitamin C
Super Booster Soft Gels
Ultra Chromium
DHEA
AnonChick beat me to it!

Here's more on chromium:

chromium dietary sources

The DHEA can help with menopause symptoms, but it works by increasing estrogen and testosterone levels. If it increases estrogen, it potentially could have the same risk as taking estrogen.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
AnonChick beat me to it!

Here's more on chromium:

chromium dietary sources

The DHEA can help with menopause symptoms, but it works by increasing estrogen and testosterone levels. If it increases estrogen, it potentially could have the same risk as taking estrogen.
It was preferred over "horse urine" deratives for post menopause replacement.
Good call. Thanx to both you & Anon.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM

7 posts, read 11,136 times
Agree. They really have the best overall value imo.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 58,535 times
I don't know if you're still taking responses, but I take Nutrilite's Double X vitamin and got some impressive workout results during the time period I know I took them consistently. My torso can sustain 200+ lbs in any direction, lower back well over 300 lbs of weight (I was doing 50 reps no sweat), I think my upper back can do 300+ lbs as well, but since my arms and upper shoulders are crap, they gave out first, I can do a 550+ lb calf press (30 reps and going) and my personal record for holding something at a 45 degree incline with legs was 1225 lbs, then my legs caved in after being on the machine for too long (shooting for 1300 lbs sometime). I'm not trying to just brag here, but something within what I was taking contributed to the results shown, and it wasn't the meals I was getting, especially since all the first years like me at that time paid for a meal plan involving school food, ONLY school food. Gets fattening after a while...

Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 AM

10,616 posts, read 12,152,727 times
For over a year or so I've been taking Pro Caps vitamins and supplements by Andrew Lessman.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,851,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
I've been taking "Nature Made" B vitamins for 3 years now, I buy the vitamins separate from each other. I just wanted to know if taking vitamins from this brand is good or bad and if it's bad what is a good brand for vitamins. Also what is a good multivitamin, I've been taking One-A-Day Men's for about a year, I know it's probably not the best, I was taking Centrum for a few years then I discovered the health risks of taking it at my age (I'm currently 24, so I had to of been around 20-22 taking them). I don't have the best diet but I drink natural juices to help me out with some nutrition.

Thanks

Look for made in the USA with components from same.

Many companies use contract fillers with the dry bulk coming from China, India, etc. Not trustworthy at all.

Consumer Reports did a test on protein powders a few years back and found unacceptable heavy metal contents in a number of popular brands. Class action lawsuit resulted.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:52 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,041,390 times
Multivitamin Guide . . Source Naturals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements