Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,542,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
I've been taking "Nature Made" B vitamins for 3 years now, I buy the vitamins separate from each other. I just wanted to know if taking vitamins from this brand is good or bad and if it's bad what is a good brand for vitamins.<>Thanks
Since you asked a direct question I can give a direct answer. Some might consider this spammish, but I am not going to try and sell anything to you.
A lot has been mentioned in the thread about the benefits of natural forms of vitamins and other supplements. This is all correct. Calcium, for example, should be taken in multiple compounds from various sources to be the most effective. It should be taken with vitamin D, because few of us get enough sunlight. Some vitamins and supplements are just plain straight chemical compounds, not to worry.
In several cases all of these can be delivered as crystals which can be dissolved in water. One advantage is these substances can deteriorate in the liquid form and pills can pass right through you. The crystals are dissolved just before you take them and they get into your system quickly. Of course, not everything can be prepared this way.
I suggest searches on "anti-oxidants", "Isotonix" and "Market America" and especially use wiki to check the science. when you get to the MA site check out the nutri-physical under "quick links" to get advice on what you might consider. The Nature Made web site has some guidelines based on your general condition. The nutri-physical will be more specific.
The effectiveness of supplements is open for great debate. Some think they owe their lives to the use of the products, others think they are worthless. The truth is probably on a sliding scale, so some things might make for a healthier you, others may make no positive change. Do your own research and make up your own mind.
PS: Lest anyone think I am trying to sell, nothing in this post would lead to any profit to me. Yes, I am a distributor, but really my job is to share knowledge. I'm just trying to spread the health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,542,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Eat whole foods and you don't have to worry about supplements.
Supplement vitamins are not bioavailable, so I have no idea why people take them. They pass right through the body, and some, like iron, can lead to toxicity.
If you're eating properly, vitamins aren't necessary.
There are some 'yesbuts' here; a lot of what you say is very important. While women may need extra iron, men and children should avoid it. Many iron-bearing supplements come in child resistant bottles.
All women of child bearing age should include adequate folic acid in their diet, according to the March of Dimes, and I quote:
Mod cut: copyright violation

The usual pill is a shipping container for supplements and is hard to get into your system, thus as you say is "not bioavailable." There are crystal forms that are readily absorbed when mixed with water.
Of course, the big question is can you get enough of what you need from a proper diet? You might, but who eats a proper diet, especially when young??

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-01-2009 at 03:43 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 01:52 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
Nature Made is good, inexpensive and readily available and I use their "D" suppliment. I also take a multi by Theregran-M. I got a huge bottle, 325 tablets (a years supply) for just a couple of dollars with a coupon. I like them, they don't make me feel queasy like most multi's do, they are fairly small, and you only need one. Occasionally I take magnesium too.

I really don't like taking vitamins so when I have to take too many or they smell bad or they are expensive I don't usually bother.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:44 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,881,188 times
Vit D3, Omega 3 Fish Oil and Juice Plus capsules(fruits & veggies) then just eat intelligently. Pretty much all you need.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,369 times
To me Nutralite is the best.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times
kirlkland from costco. i trust their products and they are dirt cheap compared to other brands.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 AM

15 posts, read 46,110 times
Thanks for the great info everyone. I have just been using this one type of centrum vitamins that is made for older women for years now but may concider switching it up.

Moderator cut: too new for specific recs or links, read TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-20-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 02:42 PM

55 posts, read 140,776 times
Nature's Way Alive! Multivitamin and Nordic Naturals Fish Oil

one is a multi and one is a fish oil.i did a lot of research for about a year before i finally settled on these two and they are worth it.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 AM

27 posts, read 65,429 times
For our Family, the best brand for vitamin supplements is the Maxalife. I loved their dietary supplement and Brain Booster Supplement. Really Works on me and for my family

Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 AM

37,157 posts, read 41,357,088 times
I realize that some of the posts in this thread are two years old, but since it has been reactivated, see here:

Multivitamins - Consumer Reports Health

Some highlights:

" All but one of the products we tested met their label claims for key essential vitamins and minerals, and none contained worrisome levels of contaminants such as arsenic or heavy metals. .......................... The biggest winner: Costco's Kirkland Signature, whose regular, "mature," and children's multis cost a nickel or less a day."

Food is better:

"That’s because fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and other plant foods contain thousands of beneficial plant substances called phytochemicals that interact with one another in myriad ways, some of which scientists may not even understand yet. The greater the food variety, the more numerous the potential beneficial interactions. ................................"

You may not need a vitamin at all. Women who are planning to get pregnant or are pregnant or breast feeding should. Since many pregnancies are unplanned, all women of childbearing age should do so to ensure adequate intake of folic acid (40 micrograms per day) to prevent certain nervous system birth defects. Many of us do not get enough vitamin D, so a supplement may be a good idea. Your doctor can test and see if you are low on vitamin D. Most women may need a calcium supplement, especially after menopause, to reduce the risk of osteoporosis. Some of us need more B12 as we get older. That also can be measured with a blood test, and vegans should take a supplement.

For the rest of us, supplements are optional, and it is safe to let price be your guide.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-25-2011 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: link + 1-2 sentences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements