Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 AM

16,552 posts, read 19,725,221 times

Advertisements

People, in general, tend to crank brightness when reading at night which is exactly the opposite of what is really comfortable, in general. In total darkness, the darkest setting is usually best (or close to it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:48 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,395 times
I have a Samsung Note smartphone but it is really just a small Android tablet with a cellphone interface.

More than any other single application I use is Smart Audiobook Player.

http://www.downloads.ws/android/app/...udiobookplayer

I walk down the street with an earbud in one ear and the smartphone in my pocket playing a book. A 7" tablet could do the same thing. I would not buy a tablet bigger than 7 inches because it would not fit in a pocket.

There are lots of free audiobooks on the Internet. Check out Librivox. I use my desktop computer at home to do text to speech to create my own audiobooks. The computer voice was annoying at first but some of the readers for Librivox are worse.

https://librivox.org/anything-you-ca...ndall-garrett/

psik

Old 12-19-2014, 09:27 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,905 times
I use my nook hd for reading, watching youtube videos and watching Netflix. I never thought I would enjoy reading on a nook but I am reading now more than ever. I don't have to go to the library to check out a book. Just browse the store, download the book and read!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 AM

935 posts, read 1,651,089 times
OK, I am zooming right along with this Insignia 8" windows based tab and I feel like doing a video. I have JUST NOW figured out enough to actually do one (of my dog) and I am guessing that these 'clips' are stored out on a cloud (OneDrive ?) and it is actually a pretty nice replay and a lot easier than I was trying to make it.

Now I need a base-like stand, tripod, ect to mount this pretty big and pretty heavy tablet confidently with 'hands -on' capability to pick it up and walk it thru. I've googled and stuff but it seems all the stands have the threaded connections like a standard camera mount tripod. anything out there with 'claws' or workable fingers to grab the tab and hold ?

Old 01-22-2015, 02:13 PM

16,552 posts, read 19,725,221 times
Amazon: Tablet Tripod. Lots.

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-City-E...sin=B008UH8SRM

Old 02-03-2015, 10:44 AM

60 posts, read 77,432 times
It seems most responses are based on people adding a tablet after they already have their lives structured around having a computer and smart phone. I was getting by with a Millenium Edition Dell desktop and bought an iPad 3 a couple years ago for Internet access and email while traveling. I spend less than $8 a month to keep my $10 tracfone working and it suits me fine for the few calls and occasional text I need. The old Dell died a couple years ago and I now use the iPad for everything, other than phone calls, including making my living selling interesting old stuff on eBay. The ipad is my camera and computer! It is Verizon enabled but I get by with wi-fi most of the time and only purchase a monthly data package when on vacation. I have an Apple TV thing hooked up to the big flat screen / sound system for YouTube etc.
Maybe I should search the forum but the question for me is "will a tablet replace your computer?" For me the answer is yes, except for the quirky crap I put up with to get anything but an Apple Air-Print wireless printer to work. I bought a wifi laser printer and the first step in the instructions tells me to insert disc into my computer, duh- what computer? Someone responded that they need a desktop computer and full size keyboard to reply on forums like this, what is wrong with the virtual keyboard I'm typing this on? If I could just get used to using Siri I could avoid typing entirely maybe. I can file my taxes online with the iPad but I can't sign up for health care since the clunky MNSure system does not work on it. I had to use a big clunky computer at the library for MNSure.
Maybe a dumb question? But I would like to know--- why is my ipad not also my phone? It has a phone number (when I activate service), it has a microphone, it has a speaker. Sure, I can supposedly make face-time video chats with other Apple users in my contacts but I have never done that and it that's not what I need a phone for?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 PM

285 posts, read 869,228 times
I use a tablet for my a.m. briefing: news, weather, personal & business email, calendar, google voice.

I also use Evernote to capture thoughts, Toodledo to keep track of projects/goals/tasks, bible reading app, nook for magazine and book reading, Coursera app for MOOCS, LinkedIn for checking activity in a group I manage, goodreads, pinterest, any internet reading that is better on a larger screen.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:53 PM

99,640 posts, read 4,496,571 times
I just bought an iPad mini about 6 weeks ago and took it on vacation. It was invaluable in getting directions, web browsing for information, getting news and weather reports, emailing folks back home, and taking pictures and videos. Now that I'm home, I don't use it as often but it's handy to have when going out on the road.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 AM

935 posts, read 1,651,089 times
OK, I've chimed in here with my Insignia 8" a time or two and I've hit a wall. HELP ! You know when in Firefox and you hit a certain selection up in the right corner and it asks if you want to 'hide the top toolbar' ? Well, I did it and I can't undo it for anything. This is using just the touch commands, no mouse. I know it's a simple command but with no mouse, I am about to come undone and cannot function without that top toolbar.

Otherwise, battery life is pretty short, but I didn't get it to use exclusively all day. It's just not that comfortable on the eyes or holding it for extended use. I have read books on it but don't read all day or such.

Also, Windows 8.1 SUCKS and I can't figure if they are gonna update with the free new '10' or not; it is not for me so far.

Neat little unit that I can use without tying up my desktop though.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
OK, I've chimed in here with my Insignia 8" a time or two and I've hit a wall. HELP ! You know when in Firefox and you hit a certain selection up in the right corner and it asks if you want to 'hide the top toolbar' ? Well, I did it and I can't undo it for anything. This is using just the touch commands, no mouse. I know it's a simple command but with no mouse, I am about to come undone and cannot function without that top toolbar.

Otherwise, battery life is pretty short, but I didn't get it to use exclusively all day. It's just not that comfortable on the eyes or holding it for extended use. I have read books on it but don't read all day or such.

Also, Windows 8.1 SUCKS and I can't figure if they are gonna update with the free new '10' or not; it is not for me so far.

Neat little unit that I can use without tying up my desktop though.
If you hit ALT on the keyboard it will bring that menu bar back, and then you can use the View / Toolbars / Menubar option to get it back.

As for the upgrade; Windows 8.1 users will have the option of a free upgrade to Windows 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets