Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:57 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,733 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of getting a tablet and I would like to know what are some things you use your tablet for or what do you do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:49 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
I use my Kindle Fire 7" HDX to access my online library account,to renew or reserve books,and DVDs at my library,check my email, check out movies and trailers on IMDb,watch youtube videos,access the internet to answer fast questions that I have via the Silk Internet browser and Bing search engine. Plus play games like Word Hero,The Island:Castaway,Stray Souls: The Dollhouse Story. So pretty much it is my mini portable PC.

P.S. I DO NOT read e-books on my Kindle Fire,and do not recommend a tablet for that! I have an e-INK e-reader for that,and the e-ink is wonderfully soothing to the eyes while reading,as opposed to the back-lit screen of tablets which is the same as reading on your computer would be. Not tolerable for long periods.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 08-15-2014 at 05:00 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I read books on my tablet and it's just fine. Magazines, as well.

Better question: what do YOU want to do with a tablet?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:20 AM

One thing that I am discovering is that reviewers are very unhappy with Amazon's lack of timely updates for their Apps for Android,like many MONTHS behind!

I ALWAYS read the 1-2 reviews on anything that I'm interested in,and have been coming across many complaints regarding this,so that might be something to take into consideration for which brand of tablet to choose.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:58 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
One thing that I am discovering is that reviewers are very unhappy with Amazon's lack of timely updates for their Apps for Android,like many MONTHS behind!

I ALWAYS read the 1-2 reviews on anything that I'm interested in,and have been coming across many complaints regarding this,so that might be something to take into consideration for which brand of tablet to choose.
That doesn't really have anything to do with Amazon though (unless you are referring to apps written by Amazon, as opposed to apps in the Amazon App Store).

It's up to the developers to update apps, and Amazon doesn't take much longer than Google does to approve app submissions (a couple of days or less in most cases).

The main issue is with Amazon and Google refusing to play nicely together, which means that many developers have to maintain two versions of their apps (one for each platform). On top of that, many Android apps just won't work on Kindle devices, so that also is a negative.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
That doesn't really have anything to do with Amazon though (unless you are referring to apps written by Amazon, as opposed to apps in the Amazon App Store).

It's up to the developers to update apps, and Amazon doesn't take much longer than Google does to approve app submissions (a couple of days or less in most cases).

The main issue is with Amazon and Google refusing to play nicely together, which means that many developers have to maintain two versions of their apps (one for each platform). On top of that, many Android apps just won't work on Kindle devices, so that also is a negative.
Actually I have read reviews by people who have said that the same app from the Google Play Store was updated months ago and their Amazon App says it needs an update but it just spins and spins and doesn't update at all!

Good info though.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Actually I have read reviews by people who have said that the same app from the Google Play Store was updated months ago and their Amazon App says it needs an update but it just spins and spins and doesn't update at all!

Good info though.
Yea, that's a different kind of issue, but definitely an issue. Facebook on my Wife's Fire has been trying to update for a month or so ... I should probably figure it out at some point .

Old 08-15-2014, 10:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Nexus 7
everything but especially painting.
you cant use it to pay at starbucks btw you must your the card.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:02 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The main issue is with Amazon and Google refusing to play nicely together,
That's 100% on Amazon. They will not let the Play Store work on the Kindle. Google would be more then happy to allow that. It's Amazon's way of locking you into their system.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
I use my tablet for travel mostly. I have both a Samsung for me and a kindle for my daughter. With the kindle you can load a limited number (at a time) of prime shows for free. Anyway - for the most part when Im home I prefer my laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets