Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 02:57 PM

973 posts, read 1,457,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Last week I was running late to my sub. teaching job. I needed to grab something quick for breakfast and I noticed that there was one small piece of chocolate cake left over from a weekend celebration. I didn't have time to transfer it to a smaller container so I just grabbed the huge disposable cake container from the bakery. I figured that it was just as easy to throw away the container in the wastebasket at school as the wastebasket at home.

I was just finishing that piece of cake when a few students arrived early for first period. They asked me what I was doing and I replied that I was "finishing my breakfast". The students gave me very strange looks but I didn't really think about it at the time. Later I was wondering why they gave me those "funny looks". Lots of people eat a donut or a Danish for breakfast so why would a piece of chocolate cake be that much different?

It wasn't until later in the day that I realized why I got the funny looks and it caused me to laugh out loud.

The students had no way of knowing that I had only one small piece of cake. All they saw was this HUGE cake container big enough for a large, triple layer cake and I said that I was "finishing my breakfast" with one or two bites of cake left to eat. They must have thought that I had eaten the entire cake!

Actually, I am pretty amazed at the restraint of the students (if they really thought that I had eaten the entire cake) as I am a plus size woman and it was a class of students with severe behavior problems. Not even one "nasty" or inappropriate comment was said to me or to other classmates about me.
I'll never forget my first year subbing I was in this school I hated. During lunch, I was sitting in the lounge. This woman about 500lbs takes out a full Entenmann's cake. Opens the box, takes a spork and eat the whole thing. No one seemed phased. I felt like I was on a prank show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:16 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I'll never forget my first year subbing I was in this school I hated. During lunch, I was sitting in the lounge. This woman about 500lbs takes out a full Entenmann's cake. Opens the box, takes a spork and eat the whole thing. No one seemed phased. I felt like I was on a prank show.
You know, someone that size does need about 6000 calories a day to maintain their weight.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,341,629 times
My introduction for food NON-etiquette was a charter school where a staff member came in and started her lunch--eating chicken stew with her fingers. I am not sure which sight would have been more traumatizing--the whole cake or the finger stew.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,293,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My introduction for food NON-etiquette was a charter school where a staff member came in and started her lunch--eating chicken stew with her fingers. I am not sure which sight would have been more traumatizing--the whole cake or the finger stew.
I'm a sub teacher who usually brings TV dinners or leftovers to heat up in the microwave for lunch. Normally, I also bring silverware as a few schools do not keep extra silverware in their lounges.

There have been a couple of times over the years when I forgot silverware AND was in one of those schools without extra utensils (and far from the cafeteria). So I would be forced to eat my food with a pencil or clean notecards (as a scoop) or something similar. However, I would never do that in public. I would always go back to my empty classroom to sneakily eat my meal.

Now I just keep a spoon & fork in my school bag at all times.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,024 times
If I want to be a high school history teacher, will getting a master's in Poly Sci help me or is the job market too bad for that to even help?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_One View Post
If I want to be a high school history teacher, will getting a master's in Poly Sci help me or is the job market too bad for that to even help?
Probably not. The question is how cheap are you willing to work. The teacher willing to take the lowest salary will get the job.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,727,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_One View Post
Become a coach..football, baseball, basketball..one of the popular sports.
That will go further to getting you a job as a HS history teacher than a Masters degree.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,432,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
This is probably why they were so helpful. Admins are so much more likely to respond to those who rarely call them for help. It's the teachers who call them in for every little thing that tend to get the brush off. (at least that's how it was at my school)
I have a feeling you won't be needing to call them again any time soon. I expect word will get around that you aren't one to mess with.
I would never call admin, so when I did they came running! I had a special needs student who was throwing desks. I evacuated my class and stayed with him until admin came. He was only seven, but he scared the you know what out of me.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:32 AM

so here I am sitting n my class as students throw pencils, paper and erasers at me, dropping the F-Bomb like it is water on a rainy day and neither the child workers nor my Admin are willing and able to stop it.

WTF is wrong with people?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM

10,372 posts, read 10,753,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Become a coach..football, baseball, basketball..one of the popular sports.
That will go further to getting you a job as a HS history teacher than a Masters degree.
In most areas, they get plenty of applications for these coaching positions. Most coaches in these sports have HS and college playing experience, and many start out as a volunteer coach. The best strategy is to gain as much volunteer and/or paid coaching experience as possible and list it on your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching