Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Also, at this point it may be worth it to take unpaid days off. I have known people who have taken sick days for interviews by doing things like saying they have to do lab work that day or get their eyes checked. Another told me she always gets sick at her stomach when she knows she has an interview so she was legitimately taking a sick day. I'm not sure I would do it, but I suppose it depends on what sits comfortably with your own conscious. I do know part of their reasoning was that you can't take sick days with you.
I have over 30 accrued sick days and I cannot take them with me. The problem will be getting them to accept they are sick days. There are a few tests I can schedule but they need to be scheduled in advance and I'm not a very good liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 11:16 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have over 30 accrued sick days and I cannot take them with me. The problem will be getting them to accept they are sick days. There are a few tests I can schedule but they need to be scheduled in advance and I'm not a very good liar.
How would they know the difference? I don't use much leave (I have about 130 days saved up), but when I do use it I just enter it into the system and use it. Do you have to actually tell them face to face that you're taking leave?

Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
Why are you waiting to be told you're not coming back before you take action?

If other jobs you interviewed for need someone immediately, then go. Assuming you are offered an end-of-year position at another school why wouldnt you resign your posistion and go elsewhere before you are "let go"?

You are being reactive instead of proactive.
I will interview for positions for next year but I'm waiting for official notice before leaving this year because you never know. I will be ready with a position for next year because you never know. I don't need to panic jump. My worst case is I land at one of the two schools and I've already picked the one I'll go to. The EAA schools have a better reputation than charter schools. The charter school I interviewed with has teachers posting awful things on great schools about them requiring long hours and extra duties and treating their teachers badly. I see that school just posted for both a chemistry and a physics teacher. I interviewed for a physical science position. They are not keeping their teachers. The EAA school simply never found a chemistry teacher and have been using long term subs. I think they will treat me well because they know they can't replace me. And besides, I liked what I saw with the principal and the way she handled students. She's right on top of issues. She stopped to handle an issue on the way to the chem lab and then excused herself during passing time so she could be visible in the hallways. I think she takes discipline seriously.

And as I said the only positions on the website right now are the ones I've already interviewed for and turned down. I'm sure either school would take me next year or now if I chose. If they do pink slip me in April I will not hang around until the end of the year while they interview my replacement. If they wait, I'll wait because I can and I would rather start a new job at the beginning of the year rather than come in behind a long term sub. I'll have the summer to work on lesson plans and I can go in to the school and figure out what I have and don't have. Jumping now means I'm totally unprepared. I'd rather do it right when I move.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How would they know the difference? I don't use much leave (I have about 130 days saved up), but when I do use it I just enter it into the system and use it. Do you have to actually tell them face to face that you're taking leave?
That depends on how much notice I give them. I have to call in if it's past midnight as the system locks me out.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:42 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That depends on how much notice I give them. I have to call in if it's past midnight as the system locks me out.
Sorry. I would hate that. That's an odd system.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
In my district they can immediately fire you if it is discovered that you lie about taking a sick day and you, or an immediate family member, are not sick. They can demand a doctor's excuse for any day in question (you are always required to have a doctors excuse for any absence of three consecutive days or more). If they don't fire you they can dock your pay for that day including making you pay for 1/30 of your monthly benefits (health insurance, dental insurance, etc) and that really adds up. They will sometimes do this if you can't get to school because you are snowed in or stuck out of town due to weather.

What some people do is visit a walk-in medical clinic for an on-going medical problem or call their doctor that day to get a refill prescription for their migraine medication or something similar on the day that they are out for another reason such as a job interview. It is still sort of lying but could cover you if you need a doctors excuse.

My district used to require that you state you reason for absence in detail. They claimed that it was to protect your students and co-workers if you had something contagious. So you had to say on the recording, "I will be out on Tuesday because I have the flu" or strep throat or pink eye or a bad cold or a migraine headache or my child is sick, etc. Now, you just type in "sick' under reason on the computer system.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In my district they can immediately fire you if it is discovered that you lie about taking a sick day and you, or an immediate family member, are not sick. They can demand a doctor's excuse for any day in question (you are always required to have a doctors excuse for any absence of three consecutive days or more). If they don't fire you they can dock your pay for that day including making you pay for 1/30 of your monthly benefits (health insurance, dental insurance, etc) and that really adds up. They will sometimes do this if you can't get to school because you are snowed in or stuck out of town due to weather.

What some people do is visit a walk-in medical clinic for an on-going medical problem or call their doctor that day to get a refill prescription for their migraine medication or something similar on the day that they are out for another reason such as a job interview. It is still sort of lying but could cover you if you need a doctors excuse.

My district used to require that you state you reason for absence in detail. They claimed that it was to protect your students and co-workers if you had something contagious. So you had to say on the recording, "I will be out on Tuesday because I have the flu" or strep throat or pink eye or a bad cold or a migraine headache or my child is sick, etc. Now, you just type in "sick' under reason on the computer system.
Wow. But how would they know? Your back could hurt in the morning and you might feel better in the afternoon. Headaches go away. Most places have a certain number of unpaid days built into the contract before you are responsible for paying for benefits for the a day missed. In my last district it was 32 - a teacher at our school with some major family issues ran into this. Besides - who isn't depressed when they find out they are losing their job? Just saying.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Wow. But how would they know? Your back could hurt in the morning and you might feel better in the afternoon. Headaches go away. Most places have a certain number of unpaid days built into the contract before you are responsible for paying for benefits for the a day missed. In my last district it was 32 - a teacher at our school with some major family issues ran into this. Besides - who isn't depressed when they find out they are losing their job? Just saying.
Of course, you can be sick in the morning and get better during the day. And you can be too depressed to go to work.

What I was referring to was the risk in calling in sick to go to a job interview.

Our district only docks pay & benefits if someone was caught cheating on using sick days (or if you run out of sick days before long term disability starts after 60 consecutive days of disability). As an example, a few years ago there were huge blizzards that shut down airports all over the US and several teachers missed the first and second day back after Christmas break and some of them tried to call in sick. It was easy to find out that they were not sick just stuck in another city. They were busted.

Our district allows teachers one "personal day" per year but it needs to be approved ten days in advance. That could be used for a job interview, as you don't need to say why you need it.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Of course, you can be sick in the morning and get better during the day. And you can be too depressed to go to work.

What I was referring to was the risk in calling in sick to go to a job interview.

Our district only docks pay & benefits if someone was caught cheating on using sick days (or if you run out of sick days before long term disability starts after 60 consecutive days of disability). As an example, a few years ago there were huge blizzards that shut down airports all over the US and several teachers missed the first and second day back after Christmas break and some of them tried to call in sick. It was easy to find out that they were not sick just stuck in another city. They were busted.

Our district allows teachers one "personal day" per year but it needs to be approved ten days in advance. That could be used for a job interview, as you don't need to say why you need it.
My district would have docked not only the days those teachers who were caught in the blizzard missed but the entire winter break. If we miss either the day before break or the day after, we forfeit pay for the entire break.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:

Wow - most place give 3 personal days. But at any rate, maybe your head hurt in the morning and felt all better by the time your interview was scheduled. I wouldn't try that with a blizzard though... they would know. In my old district the board voted to allow people to use up to 2 of their sick days one year when they were snowed in at various airports the first day of break. It was only a couple of people, and when you think about it, it didn't really cost them anything, but it bought them a lot of goodwill. It was a good district to work for in more ways than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching