Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 03:22 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Some of what we do on a daily basis is difficult to write out and explain for a substitute. We don’t have textbooks. For a typical day, my plans include:

A Morning Meeting with greeting, message, share and activity.

A number sense routine with student discourse and reflection (often utilizing the Smartboard) followed by a focus lesson and then centers. Four different groups are involved in the centers which includes “meet with the teacher” and a computer game that needs to be “launched” with a code provided to the students.

Writing Workshop with students at varying stages of the writing process.

Reading Workshop, including small group reading and book clubs.

Social studies or science.
I understand what you mean. My daughter is a 5th grade teacher and hates to be off because it is so difficult to write sub plans.

I was writing from the perspective of a secondary social studies teacher. I find this trend to not using textbooks to be frustrating and contributing to low reading levels for many students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 03:28 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Well I'm currently subbing in the last period of what will be a three day sub job. I wish the regular teacher would have left the plans she would have done herself. I hate when a teacher leaves something on Google Classroom. I had to read over a student's shoulder to see that the Google Classroom assignment is totally inadequate and doesn't go with the additional worksheet assignments. The teacher doesn't use the assigned textbook so her lessons are a mix of worksheets. It is unclear what she presents in class but I've had to attempt to teach what has never been covered.

This is far from the worst. I've subbed for one teacher who doesn't leave a schedule, rosters, seating charts, or plans. He tells the students what to do the day before. I don't sub for him anymore even though it is the subject that I'm certified.
Subs in my district have no access to technology and my room is tech dependent. Not to mention I currently teach students with autism and they’re all doing different things at the same time. It’s pretty much impossible to be out because someone can’t just walk in and do what I do.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:38 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Subs in my district have no access to technology and my room is tech dependent. Not to mention I currently teach students with autism and they’re all doing different things at the same time. It’s pretty much impossible to be out because someone can’t just walk in and do what I do.

I couldn't sub in a district without access to technology. For example, I had a current events class where we started off by watching CNN 10 on the Promethean Board. Five students are assigned to present a current events topic each day. I pulled up each article or video so students can take notes while the student is presenting the article.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:12 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
This is my 3rd year in the school I have been working in.

An opportunity has come up and I have applied to jump ship and get a new job. Interviewed last Thur for one job. On Friday they started calling my references, so I assume that is a good sign? I had another interview on Fri by phone and they have asked for a 2nd interview for Tue. I assume that is a good sign too.

Both jobs are MUCH closer to home and not traveling 23 miles each way in traffic will be an awesome change. There are several other reasons I am looking that I don't wish to share on a public board.

Wish me luck.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:48 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

An opportunity has come up and I have applied to jump ship and get a new job. Interviewed last Thur for one job. On Friday they started calling my references, so I assume that is a good sign? I had another interview on Fri by phone and they have asked for a 2nd interview for Tue. I assume that is a good sign too.

Both jobs are MUCH closer to home and not traveling 23 miles each way in traffic will be an awesome change. There are several other reasons I am looking that I don't wish to share on a public board.

Wish me luck.
Good luck! I hope all goes well and you are able to leave your current job with no problems.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:25 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

Wish me luck.
Good luck!!!!

Old 01-16-2020, 11:59 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Guess I never updated.

I did not get the job, even though they called my references, etc....I really thought I had that one.

So, I am still at the school where I started the year.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:01 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
A few weeks ago parents at my elementary school donated supplies. Sticky notes, colored pencils, glue sticks, disinfecting wipes, hand sanitizer, Expo markers, crayons, tissues, etc. There were a lot of leftovers and we were invited to take even more, but the sanitizer was one of the less popular items. If I only knew then...
I wonder how much I could get for it now? $$.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:38 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Question: I have a science degree, and experience teaching college-age, but am now in process of getting my teacher certification for secondary Life Sciences. I can also coach a couple of sports or cheer (preference volleyball).
I have applied to 3 school districts on their websites. Each one has the requirement for 3 references, of course, and the process is long and grueling for those who were kind enough to do this for me. Therefore, I am reticent about applying to even more districts- making them go through it all again.
Someone said to send my resume and cover letter to the principals. This appears to be discouraged when one goes to the employment pages- even said outright "no" on one ISD page.
Anyone have recommendations/thoughts?

Thank you!

Old 03-12-2020, 04:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Question: I have a science degree, and experience teaching college-age, but am now in process of getting my teacher certification for secondary Life Sciences. I can also coach a couple of sports or cheer (preference volleyball).
I have applied to 3 school districts on their websites. Each one has the requirement for 3 references, of course, and the process is long and grueling for those who were kind enough to do this for me. Therefore, I am reticent about applying to even more districts- making them go through it all again.
Someone said to send my resume and cover letter to the principals. This appears to be discouraged when one goes to the employment pages- even said outright "no" on one ISD page.
Anyone have recommendations/thoughts?

Thank you!
Follow the process and go to job fairs. They’re all over here with on site interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching