Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 08:48 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Two more weeks until Easter break. Then 9 more weeks until summer break. This is the time of year I just want to hit the pause button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 04:23 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I guess I'd need to know more about the numbers and demographics. For example, in my afternoon class the girls outnumber the boys 17 to 7. Sixteen of those girls are white. Each quarter we give out 3 academic awards. It's entirely possible that they would all go to girls in a quarter. What is the total number of students and how many awards were given out of that total?
I teach the same population as she does. We are slightly higher in the percentage of girls, but not significantly higher. We have a decent proportion of Hispanic and African-American students as well.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:35 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I teach the same population as she does. We are slightly higher in the percentage of girls, but not significantly higher. We have a decent proportion of Hispanic and African-American students as well.
Ok. I guess what I'm wondering is how many awards were given out? How often? Are they given out quarterly? Do all students eventually get an award?

Old 03-21-2015, 07:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:

I don't know if this should be its own thread or not, but a coworker had to give out awards for her special's area. Every single award went to cute white girls.
Quote:
I guess I'd need to know more about the numbers and demographics.
I agree.

Quote:
It is possible that it was just a coincidence, especially if it was just two awards out of a group of 25 or 30 students.

Now, if it was six awards out of a group of 25 or 30 students, or it was eight art classes or eight gym classes and all eight awards went to cute, white girl, or if cute, white girls always win then I would be pretty concerned.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:46 PM

There are 31 total classrooms, K-5, 700 students. 81% is caucasian, we are about 52% female, 48% male. For the Kindergarten (6 classrooms), first grade (4 classrooms), and second grade (6 classrooms) awards, the teacher was able to choose 1 student from each classroom, 16 awards. Each went to a cute white girl.

In the third grade (5 classrooms), fourth grade (5 classrooms), and fifth grade (5 classrooms) awards, the teacher was able to select one student from each classroom, 15 awards. Only two boys were chosen, the rest to cute white girls.

I teach the same exact student population, as do the PE, technology, and Project based learning teachers. None of us had such a lopsided amount of awards going to cute white girls.

We chose awards once a year.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:20 PM

So there were 31 awards given and 29 of those were to girls. Correct?
That does seem quite lopsided just on the ratio of girls:boys. "Cute" could be debated.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
There are 31 total classrooms, K-5, 700 students. 81% is caucasian, we are about 52% female, 48% male. For the Kindergarten (6 classrooms), first grade (4 classrooms), and second grade (6 classrooms) awards, the teacher was able to choose 1 student from each classroom, 16 awards. Each went to a cute white girl.

In the third grade (5 classrooms), fourth grade (5 classrooms), and fifth grade (5 classrooms) awards, the teacher was able to select one student from each classroom, 15 awards. Only two boys were chosen, the rest to cute white girls.

I teach the same exact student population, as do the PE, technology, and Project based learning teachers. None of us had such a lopsided amount of awards going to cute white girls.

We chose awards once a year.
Quote:
That does seem quite lopsided just on the ratio of girls:boys. "Cute" could be debated.
Wow, even in the very, very, very unlikely situation that 29 out of 31 of the top students actually were cute, white girls, the teacher should have re-evaluated her/his scoring because it probably was biased. (Unless, the award was actually for "Cutest, White Girl in each classroom).

That is really, really crappy.

It reminds me about all the national news and hoopla that goes on when cute, blond white girls/young adults go missing and when black girls go missing there is only a brief mention in the local newspaper. Sometimes you hear a little nationally about white boys going missing but black boys sometimes don't even get in the local newspaper.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Cute could definitely be debated, but yes, out of 31 awards, 29 were to white girls.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:58 PM

Spring break begins now. Kids return April 7.

Next target date, June 19.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
I have come to the sad conclusion that my life would be much easier if I just accepted that my job isn't to teach but rather to get kids to pass tests and get good grades....

We still have one week to go until spring break. I am so ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching