Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:06 AM

412 posts, read 278,747 times

Advertisements

Private schools can dismiss students with behavior and academic issues. So, there's likely not as many issues with gangs, violence, drugs, etc.

However, kids raised in the kind of families that would send them to a Christian school to me seem likely to act out or rebel, which I can understand as I would have if I was constantly being beat with a Bible and the kind of other things that go on in those schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 03:31 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,512,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieHomes View Post
Private schools can dismiss students with behavior and academic issues. So, there's likely not as many issues with gangs, violence, drugs, etc.

However, kids raised in the kind of families that would send them to a Christian school to me seem likely to act out or rebel, which I can understand as I would have if I was constantly being beat with a Bible and the kind of other things that go on in those schools.
Oh good grief. I went to Christian school for most of my K-12 and I was never beaten with a Bible. Nor do I even know what you mean by "the kind(s) of other things that go on in those schools."

What are you talking about?

And I never did act out or rebel. My friends from that Christian school are still my best friends. We no longer live near each other, but we get together as often as we can. I had a friend visit from said Christian school last night, from halfway across the country, with her family.

I had considered sending my kids to a Christian school locally, and I was even offered a job there, but I couldn't lose my retirement with the state and it would be impossible to provide transportation to/from the private school for my kids, while working elsewhere. And I had a few other reasons, none of which were because it was Christian and they would be beaten with a Bible.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:08 PM

412 posts, read 278,747 times
One of my friends went to a Christian AME school, and every Friday the principal would paddle all the kids who got 10 demerits, which was most students. Others I know had their daughters told they can't have short hair and look like a boy because it's a sin. In the past, many would be told they can't write with their left hand or they'll go to hell. Christians are crazy.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,534,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieHomes View Post
One of my friends went to a Christian AME school, and every Friday the principal would paddle all the kids who got 10 demerits, which was most students. Others I know had their daughters told they can't have short hair and look like a boy because it's a sin. In the past, many would be told they can't write with their left hand or they'll go to hell. Christians are crazy.
Yes because this represents ALL Christians.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:53 AM

421 posts, read 289,314 times
Christian or not, there shouldn't be any shootings at any schools.Period.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:17 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,512,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
Christian or not, there shouldn't be any shootings at any schools.Period.
Unfortunately, mental illness can be anywhere. Christian or private schools are not exempt. In fact, many parents whose kids had too many issues in the public school are sent to private schools, with the thought that the smaller environment will help.

It doesn't always.

And you are right, there should not be shootings anywhere.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post
I wanted to know if there had ever been a school shooting in a Christian school so I googled it and only found one. Why so many in the public system but only one in the Christian Schools?
The answer to your question as to why there have been 0 school shootings in Catholic schools and only one in Protestant private schools is so simply the average, progressive American citizen won't accept it. Since Bible and prayer were outlawed in public schools, there have been approximately 630 school shootings. Before then, from 1860 to 1967 only 79.

Not a co-incidence, to be sure.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,534,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lish1936 View Post
The answer to your question as to why there have been 0 school shootings in Catholic schools and only one in Protestant private schools is so simply the average, progressive American citizen won't accept it. Since Bible and prayer were outlawed in public schools, there have been approximately 630 school shootings. Before then, from 1860 to 1967 only 79.

Prayer and Bibles are not outlawed in public schools..

How many school shootings when girls were made to wear dresses to school and not allowed pants? Or when boys were made to have hair not touching their collar? Maybe girls wearing pants or boys with long hair cause shootings?

Old 03-10-2018, 05:07 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,364,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lish1936 View Post

The Bible and prayer have never been “outlawed” in public schools. Students can read the Bible. They can pray to any god they wish.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 6,374,511 times
Oh, my. I went to an All Girls Catholic HS in Manhattan in the '60s. To get accepted into Catholic HS you have to take CO-OPS, similar to SAT's. My school took 100 incoming Freshman so think about the score you had to get to be accepted across all of NYC.

We always heard if you do not meet our standards (academically or behavior), you will be expelled and can go attend public school.

Apart from this, we nicknamed our school "The Prison". Maybe it was 100 years ago? It was 2 blocks from the Docks and the elevated West Side Highway. Front doors were two huge iron doors with a dead bolt on the inside. First floor windows had iron bars on them. Once class started the only way inside was an intercom to the office inside. There was a peep hole in the door. Mother Superior had to come to the door and unlatch it for tardy students or visitors. You did not want to be LATE with her greeting you! Fire door in the back was similar. You could get out, but you couldn't get in.

Armed Teachers? Imagine all the guns Nuns in Habits could hide!!! Nah, Rulers were their weapons of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching