Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 03:51 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,586,318 times

Advertisements

Well, I've had a total of two unsuccessful teaching experiences at both schools that resulted in my supervisor placing another person in the classroom with me. This isn't something they normally do, I guess, so maybe that should be a signal to me that maybe I'm just not cut out for teaching. I didn't want to take "no" for an answer before, and I honestly thought it might be the environment in which I was working, but this school year I was hired by a decent school from out-of-state that paid me a lot more than I was making at the youth center, but I still had problems communicating with and teaching the kids.

I guess I'm ready to admit defeat. Teaching English just isn't something I can do well. I might be able to teach another subject well, but I have no real reason to believe that the problems I've had with teaching English wouldn't be present when teaching another subject as well.

It's really discouraging. I spent about seven years in college, obtained a master's degree, and can't do the job I was supposedly trained for. It's discouraging, but I guess it's reality.

Sorry, but people do still need to make a living. The truth is I have a terrible employment record outside of teaching. They seem to keep me at least a little while just because I meet the credential requirement. I really would like to find something I can actually do, though, instead of just looking good on paper. I majored in English with the intent of maybe eventually becoming a writer, but I knew it wasn't something I should try making a living with on its own.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I'm tired of failing and would like to find something I can actually do. It was suggested to me that I try to become a freelance writer, but I'm not sure the people who suggested that to me are living in the real world. It really seems like the only thing I've been able to do well is go to school. My job performance is almost as bad as when I didn't have a degree.

I was diagnosed with ASD, and maybe that has something to do with it? I have trouble "speaking up for myself," and sometimes find communicating with people in general a very hard thing to do. I'm guessing this affects me in more ways than I'm willing to acknowledge, but it's not like I haven't brought it up to people who should be able to help me, counselors and such.

Well, anyway, these are my questions.

What else can a person do with an English degree besides teach? I don't have a lot of experience doing anything else, and I may have wasted my opportunities on depression and discouragement while I was in college, because I'm also pretty low on financial aid options.

I have considered becoming a freelance writer, but I wonder if I could make that into a full-time job.

Also, why do you think I can't teach? Don't you think they would have recognized a problem this serious during student teaching and not given me a teaching degree if I actually couldn't do the job? What do you think is keeping me from succeeding in this field, and how, if there is a way, do you think I could become successful in a teaching-related field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 04:05 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,557,387 times
have you taught adults yet? asd and attention span of children dont seem to mix

may not be what you want to do, but looked into teaching english overseas for a time? then coming back and teaching english to foreign speakers or something

Old 04-03-2018, 06:10 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,875,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
I was diagnosed with ASD, and maybe that has something to do with it?
This has everything to do with it. This has been pointed out to you on several of your previous threads. Have you scrolled through your previous threads? Others have posted links for you about help with ASD.

Quote:
What do you think is keeping me from succeeding in this field
You asked that same question on some of your former threads; here are a couple of them:

I think student teaching left something out

How would you handle this question?

Old 04-03-2018, 09:47 AM

50,920 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Here we go again.

1. Please get out of teaching for the good of the children. I'm not saying that to be mean. You admit that -- for whatever reason(s) -- you can't be successful at teaching. Get out of the field.

2. Look into career counseling in your area.

3. One thought that came to mind -- are you a good enough writer that you could do professional writing. I'm not talking about being an "author". But there are people who do professional writing.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:01 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,660,661 times
You sure seem to lack confidence. Sooner or later you have to stick with something. Don't just give up. Ask other successful teachers how they do and learn from them.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:40 AM

45,478 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
You sure seem to lack confidence. Sooner or later you have to stick with something. Don't just give up. Ask other successful teachers how they do and learn from them.
She has, both at her schools and in this Forum. Right now on here, between Phetaroi and I, you have about 70 years experience. Add Old Hag and Germaine you've got another 75 or 80 years. Add other current and retired teachers who've participated at various times you start touching 300 years of combined teaching experience. We've all given her suggestions, workarounds and advice.

The above isn't meant as a criticism of her but just to illustrate that she has been seeking assistance.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
You could be an editor. Do you know your way around online media? A couple of classes in Wordpress and Adobe programs might bring you up to speed.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
You need to go back and read all the posts in several threads.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

It's time for him/her to bow out of teaching. Period. Time to move on and find something else where he/she can be successful. Teaching is not it.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:46 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,008,675 times
I agree with the suggestion to check out a career in technical writing, and also editing. Someone who writes well can do very well in those fields.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You could be an editor. Do you know your way around online media? A couple of classes in Wordpress and Adobe programs might bring you up to speed.
That's another good possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching