Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 07:54 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,363,878 times

Advertisements

How weird that they don't get paid to work the concessions

Around here it is usually the aides that work at the ticket boothes, but they get paid. And any teacher that is a sponsor for something gets a stipend. Some up to 6K a year.

And just don't buy things out of pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 08:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,325,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How weird that they don't get paid to work the concessions

Around here it is usually the aides that work at the ticket boothes, but they get paid. And any teacher that is a sponsor for something gets a stipend. Some up to 6K a year.

Are the teachers that have to work at games and are sponsors for clubs MS and HS teachers or elementary teachers? I worked at my last elementary school for over 15 years. All the teachers were expected to attend and volunteer at every evening and Saturday parent function during the year, to "show school spirit". Usually there were five or six events. The principals kept a checklist of the teachers who attended and chastised any teacher who wasn't there. Needless to say, there was almost always close to 100% attendance by the teachers. Of course, this was all for free and not part of our contracts.

A few teachers ran after school clubs or activities or homework help/tutoring sessions but there also was no compensation for that. Again, it was to "show school spirit" or to "build our relationships with students" or "to increase test scores." Generally, a teacher may do it for a year or two and then get fed up and stop volunteering to do the club or activity.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:07 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,021,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Are the teachers that have to work at games and are sponsors for clubs MS and HS teachers or elementary teachers? I worked at my last elementary school for over 15 years. All the teachers were expected to attend and volunteer at every evening and Saturday parent function during the year, to "show school spirit". Usually there were five or six events. The principals kept a checklist of the teachers who attended and chastised any teacher who wasn't there. Needless to say, there was almost always close to 100% attendance by the teachers. Of course, this was all for free and not part of our contracts.

A few teachers ran after school clubs or activities or homework help/tutoring sessions but there also was no compensation for that. Again, it was to "show school spirit" or to "build our relationships with students" or "to increase test scores." Generally, a teacher may do it for a year or two and then get fed up and stop volunteering to do the club or activity.
The amount of after school hours working for your school can add up quickly. Fortunately in my son's situation, nearly all of his extra duties his school pays for. Things like running the clock for basketball and wrestling matches and monitoring the student section at home AND away basketball games. The people who run concessions for whatever the activity always get compensation.

All the extra hours of meetings and film related to coaching football are basically figured into his base payment for the activity. He calls it his minimum wage job as that's pretty much what he gets paid per hour during this season. No complaints though as he isn't being forced to be a coach and if you're going to be successful it comes with the territory.

Hours spent helping supervise weight lifting through the school year are also uncompensated, but volunteered by him. Also, coming in early to be there to help students with homework is purely on his own time. He doesn't expect compensation as neither are required of him.

I cannot believe school systems that expect teachers to give up their evenings just to "show school spirit". They can have just as much school spirit and get paid. My God, while they're taking time from their families for no pay, they're also losing valuable hours needed for grading and class preparation.

Where the hell is the worthless teacher's union in these situations. If you're in a state where they have some clout, this practice should be a major item in negotiations. I know that in some states the unions are pretty powerless in dealing with this. If so, the teachers should at least band together and address this problem and make it public. Maybe public pressure can help make a change.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:56 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,363,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

It is usually the principals and the superintendent that attend the games and mingle with the crowd.

Parents run the concessions to raise money for different projects

People get paid to work the ticket booths and sponsors also get paid.

If a teacher attends they probably have a kid in the event or just like going.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:19 AM

51,462 posts, read 24,822,929 times
The only night time activity we expected of our teachers to participate in was the annual back to school night, and during that first week of school for teachers we made one day a half-day to make up for that. And for performance classes (band, orchestra, and chorus)...but that was to the benefit to those teachers to keep their numbers up and remain full time, thus preventing them from having to travel between two middle schools.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:28 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,386,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The only night time activity we expected of our teachers to participate in was the annual back to school night, and during that first week of school for teachers we made one day a half-day to make up for that.
Interesting. Was that also FCPS? In 27 years I have never had a half day to balance out BTSN.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:25 PM

45,826 posts, read 61,234,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Interesting. Was that also FCPS? In 27 years I have never had a half day to balance out BTSN.
I can guarantee it wasn't Prince George's County.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,289,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yeah, right. How do you make that work for real? 99.99% of teachers are not going to let their students suffer or go without.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 PM

51,462 posts, read 24,822,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Yes. But we paid it forward on that opening week for teachers when hours were really relaxed...but we couldn't say it out loud!

Old 09-04-2019, 05:27 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,386,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes. But we paid it forward on that opening week for teachers when hours were really relaxed...but we couldn't say it out loud!
Ok. Got it. I was wondering if the “we” was school specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching